• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Centrebus Corby

Status
Not open for further replies.

A0wen

On Moderation
Centrebus's depot in Corby closes this weekend - announced about 6 weeks ago.

Looks like most of the routes have found new contractors, couple of surprises in there:

The Wellingborough local W8 is going to be operated by Grant Palmer - that's quite a distance from their Luton area base.

The other one is Corby - Thrapston / Raunds to be operated by Go Whippet - again a bit out of their usual operating area.

A couple of routes have been picked up by Diamond Coaches of Rushden - not sure if this is their first foray into service operation? Usually they seem to do private hire / Rail Replacement.

And less surprisingly Uno have will be taking on the 59/60.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anthony ross

I’m quite surprised about whippet taking on a new service especially out of there normal operating area given the fact how long there new services last before being withdrawn

Aictos

Established Member
Centrebus's depot in Corby closes this weekend - announced about 6 weeks ago.

Looks like most of the routes have found new contractors, couple of surprises in there:

The Wellingborough local W8 is going to be operated by Grant Palmer - that's quite a distance from their Luton area base.

Actually I think you find that Grant Palmer are based in Flitwick not Luton so isn’t really that far for them to cover Wellingborough bearing in mind they operate the C service between Luton and Dunstable via the busway and that’s got to be further?

Indeed even their own website states they’re based in Flitwick just to confirm what I’m saying that is.

westcoaster

Established Member
Actually I think you find that Grant Palmer are based in Flitwick not Luton so isn’t really that far for them to cover Wellingborough bearing in mind they operate the C service between Luton and Dunstable via the busway and that’s got to be further?

Indeed even their own website states they’re based in Flitwick just to confirm what I’m saying that is.
Also grant Palmer operate in rushden, they operate the service to bedford. Via the villages ( 126 iirc). Also no Saturday service with the takeover.

westcoaster

Established Member
I’m quite surprised about whippet taking on a new service especially out of there normal operating area given the fact how long there new services last before being withdrawn
Do whippet not operate a weekly service across to rushden/Wellingborough.

MedwayValiant

Centrebus didn't have a Saturday service on the W8 to Bozeat any more than Grant Palmer will do.

There's an interesting development from Whippet on the 18 (Corby - Thrapston). Raunds will no longer be served, but the route is extended at the eastern end to Huntingdon three times a day. I imagine this is mainly for operational convenience since Whippet runs out of Swavesey, but it restores a link that disappeared quite a while back. Was it traditionally United Counties who used to operate - never very frequently - between Huntingdon and Thrapston?

pgfb1306

Do whippet not operate a weekly service across to rushden/Wellingborough.

Not since the 400 / 401 were reconstructed after the Tower takeover of Whippet - think there was a couple of times a month version that ran back then. Diamond Coaches have run a few Saturday only shoppers services for a while, one of which gets over to Peterborough once a month.

pgfb1306

Centrebus didn't have a Saturday service on the W8 to Bozeat any more than Grant Palmer will do.

There's an interesting development from Whippet on the 18 (Corby - Thrapston). Raunds will no longer be served, but the route is extended at the eastern end to Huntingdon three times a day. I imagine this is mainly for operational convenience since Whippet runs out of Swavesey, but it restores a link that disappeared quite a while back. Was it traditionally United Counties who used to operate - never very frequently - between Huntingdon and Thrapston?

Following Diamond Coaches starting their 266 from Raunds up through Thrapston to Kettering, the local authority only tendered for a service between Thrapston and Corby on the former 18, and Corby and Kettering on the former 8. That's where the basis of the Whippet service comes from. As there's a need to provide a break for the driver that's not built into the timetable in the afternoon, the dead car runs were livened up as live bus runs to see if there can be any demand built up. There are also some connections with the X3 at Huntingdon to be able to get across between Corby, Thrapston and Cambridge.

A0wen

On Moderation
Following Diamond Coaches starting their 266 from Raunds up through Thrapston to Kettering, the local authority only tendered for a service between Thrapston and Corby on the former 18, and Corby and Kettering on the former 8. That's where the basis of the Whippet service comes from. As there's a need to provide a break for the driver that's not built into the timetable in the afternoon, the dead car runs were livened up as live bus runs to see if there can be any demand built up. There are also some connections with the X3 at Huntingdon to be able to get across between Corby, Thrapston and Cambridge.

I saw that on the connection to Cambridge - but it only gives 1h 30m before you have to be heading back, I suspect it won't get heavy use.

If you wanted to get to Cambridge from Corby or Kettering you'd probably be better off taking the train to Bedford and X5 to Cambridge or X4 to Peterborough and train to Cambridge.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I saw that on the connection to Cambridge - but it only gives 1h 30m before you have to be heading back, I suspect it won't get heavy use.

If you wanted to get to Cambridge from Corby or Kettering you'd probably be better off taking the train to Bedford and X5 to Cambridge or X4 to Peterborough and train to Cambridge.

Unless you're a Twirly with a concessionary pass for the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.