• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

centrebus holdings sold to arriva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In west yorkshire, for "both sides of the road" stops, the timetable case says "this side" and below it "opposite side".

Where there is one. A number of areas gained a lot a couple of years ago,i including my four nearest, all of which are very quiet.

Busier stops in Calderdale which used to have cases but lost them in the nineties remain without .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
Where there is one. A number of areas gained a lot a couple of years ago,i including my four nearest, all of which are very quiet.

Busier stops in Calderdale which used to have cases but lost them in the nineties remain without .

I grew up in Greater Manchester where there has long been a tradition of putting service numbers on the bus stop. So it was a shock when I started to branch out into West Yorkshire and saw that wasn't the case there, and later on I realised that Greater Manchester was the exception. Timetable cases though seemed more prevalent in West Yorkshire.

Nowadays, having seen more of the world I realise that both scenarios are unacceptable. Bus stops in the Netherlands and London have timetable cases and numbers at all bus stops, barring vandalism. I would argue that it should be law that all bus stops carry this very basic information. West Yorkshire stops now state where buses are going towards, and would probably argue that due to deregulation putting service numbers would be too difficult due to frequent service changes. But GM manage to do it.

34D

Established Member
I grew up in Greater Manchester where there has long been a tradition of putting service numbers on the bus stop. So it was a shock when I started to branch out into West Yorkshire and saw that wasn't the case there, and later on I realised that Greater Manchester was the exception. Timetable cases though seemed more prevalent in West Yorkshire.

Nowadays, having seen more of the world I realise that both scenarios are unacceptable. Bus stops in the Netherlands and London have timetable cases and numbers at all bus stops, barring vandalism. I would argue that it should be law that all bus stops carry this very basic information. West Yorkshire stops now state where buses are going towards, and would probably argue that due to deregulation putting service numbers would be too difficult due to frequent service changes. But GM manage to do it.

In WY, it used to be that stops with more than one stop on the same side of the road had route numbers on, and those elsewhere just had "bus stop" then it was changed maybe 15 years ago to the current system of stating a couple of main places served.

The timetable case (where one is provided) does show service numbers though.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
In WY, it used to be that stops with more than one stop on the same side of the road had route numbers on, and those elsewhere just had "bus stop" then it was changed maybe 15 years ago to the current system of stating a couple of main places served.

The timetable case (where one is provided) does show service numbers though.

I remember when going to school all the stops I used used to have the service numbers on.

I can't stand the "easy-to-use" timetables Metro use in the bus stops.

A poor example is the main stop in Ripponden - it lists departure times only and then "fastest times to key destinations".

So an unsuspecting soul could see that Halifax is 23 minutes away (evening time on the 528).

They then hop on the service 531 at 0822 and find it takes 51 minutes even if it's on time and think "stupid buses".

On the other hand, their printed timetables are some of the best around, including listing all the roads the bus passes along.

The stop outside my house lists the departure times into Keighley - however these are "estimated" and the bus usually passes about 3 minutes before the times stated, having left the previous timing point on time.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In west yorkshire, for "both sides of the road" stops, the timetable case says "this side" and below it "opposite side".

Though the flags read "Buses Towards: Both Sides of The Road" which creates a rather bizarre picture in the minds-eye!:lol:

To revive this thread, the new name for the former Centrebus operations in West Yorkshire was announced this week: Someone obviously thought that 'Yorkshire Tiger' was a good name!

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
They look like they've ripped off an old version of the Ellen Smith Tours (of Rochdale) logo.

AndyHudds

Though the flags read "Buses Towards: Both Sides of The Road" which creates a rather bizarre picture in the minds-eye!:lol:

To revive this thread, the new name for the former Centrebus operations in West Yorkshire was announced this week: Someone obviously thought that 'Yorkshire Tiger' was a good name!

Was jokingly gonna say, are the buses gonna be black and orange tigerskin effect, but looking at the pictures, it looks like they could be!! Besides this ain't Hull!!

pemma

Veteran Member
So why are Arriva trying to hide its an Arriva company?

I think there's three possible reasons:
1. It makes it easier for Arriva to sell off operations in the future if they choose. (They can move routes between Arriva Yorkshire and Yorkshire Tiger to sell off the routes they want.)
2. Arriva Yorkshire will have less of a monopoly, so maybe that reduces the chance of them being ordered to sell off operations?
3. As 61653 HTAFC says it means Day Tickets can't be used on too many routes.

High Dyke

Established Member
Are Centrebus the group with the atrocious orange and blue group livery ?

No, they're the group with the very nice blue and orange livery - much better than First, Arriva, Stagecoach anyway.
The earlier version of orange seemed to fade easily, and its straight line style was a little unimaginative. However the later style with curves and using a bolder Orange and Blue works nicely.

Attachments

• 4531990011_bbae4239b4_z.jpg
    4531990011_bbae4239b4_z.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The earlier version of orange seemed to fade easily, and its straight line style was a little unimaginative. However the later style with curves and using a bolder Orange and Blue works nicely.

That picture with a great deal of white and the blue confined to the narrow bottom skirt, is one that I would not argue with.

However, look at the percentage of blue and orange in the livery of the bus at the side of that one in the picture, which is what I made my original reference to. Large areas of orange and blue are not an aesthetically pleasing combination and to me, give the cheap and cheerful image of a "pound-shop".

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I would say the original green livery (shown here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/4146685801/) for Huddersfield Bus Company looked better than the later Centrebus coloured livery.

I may be mistaken, but i think the green was a WYPTE-inspired promotional livery for the routes out to the leafy rural areas South of town (Denby Dale/Clayton West). A few of the earlier ex-Yorkshire Traction single-deckers had it applied as well as the then-new Centros (though they didn't last round here much longer), but no deckers were green.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I wonder if K-Line is to retain the name or if they've just been missed off the announcement?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
K Line stays separate.

Robert

K-Line is a long-established and respected brand in this neck of the woods, and Centrebus knew better than to rebrand so I imagine the new team will do the same. That said, in the last couple of years there's been far more instances of Centrebus-liveried vehicles on K-line routes and vice-versa. If they really go all out with the new look they may decide to repaint the Honley-based buses too, but I guess only time will tell...

pemma

Veteran Member
K-Line is a long-established and respected brand in this neck of the woods, and Centrebus knew better than to rebrand so I imagine the new team will do the same. That said, in the last couple of years there's been far more instances of Centrebus-liveried vehicles on K-line routes and vice-versa. If they really go all out with the new look they may decide to repaint the Honley-based buses too, but I guess only time will tell...

The same could have been about Bowers being a well known and respected name but Centrebus dropped that name eventually (even after keeping it initially.) The quality of service has also dropped in the last few years.

When were K-Line formed?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The same could have been about Bowers being a well known and respected name but Centrebus dropped that name eventually (even after keeping it initially.) The quality of service has also dropped in the last few years.

When were K-Line formed?

I'm not sure exactly- I think they existed prior to deregulation but can't be certain as I was born in 1982 so was only 6 when deregulation took place. I certainly remember them being the last operator in Huddersfield to have any Leyland Nationals (apart from Tracky and British Rail, that is!).

pemma

Veteran Member
I'm not sure exactly- I think they existed prior to deregulation but can't be certain as I was born in 1982 so was only 6 when deregulation took place. I certainly remember them being the last operator in Huddersfield to have any Leyland Nationals (apart from Tracky and British Rail, that is!).

Yorkshire Traction still had a Leyland National at the Waterloo depot that they used for driver training when they were taken over by Stagecoach.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

When were K-Line formed?

K-line as a coach company existed for a long time.

As a bus company there's been a series of companies (at least 3) formed, built up then sold, with an undertaking not to run buses for x numbers of years - the current company (legally Teamdeck Limited) was formed in 1996 and bought by Centrebus Holdings in 2008.

34D

Established Member
Started in '85. Finished in '92.

As a resident in the area throughout, you are either wrong or else half asleep. Any pics that illustrate what you're trying to describe, please?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
K-line as a coach company existed for a long time.

As a bus company there's been a series of companies (at least 3) formed, built up then sold, with an undertaking not to run buses for x numbers of years - the current company (legally Teamdeck Limited) was formed in 1996 and bought by Centrebus Holdings in 2008.

Yes. And the previous incarnation (that included routes in Morley and Leeds) was sold to Arriva in the mid 1990s.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Presumably so that they don't get passengers in Dewsbury and Wakefield trying to use Arriva DayRiders on them! <D

So my Arriva £4.50ish day ticket doesn't in fact cover all Arriva services in Yorks?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
So my Arriva £4.50ish day ticket doesn't in fact cover all Arriva services in Yorks?

Nope, just the Arriva branded services. Then again, for an extra 90p you can have a MetroDay- I've never understood why operators in West Yorks bother advertising their own day tickets, as they're usually not much cheaper than the MetroDay. The only one I ever bother with is the Firstbus Halifax&Hudds Dayrider- which at £3.70 is fine if I'm staying within those areas. If I need to go further afield I'd just get a Metroday anyway.

34D

Established Member
Nope, just the Arriva branded services. Then again, for an extra 90p you can have a MetroDay- I've never understood why operators in West Yorks bother advertising their own day tickets, as they're usually not much cheaper than the MetroDay. The only one I ever bother with is the Firstbus Halifax&Hudds Dayrider- which at £3.70 is fine if I'm staying within those areas. If I need to go further afield I'd just get a Metroday anyway.

I agree with you that operators shouldn't be allowed to have their own day tickets when an interavailable version is available instead.

Metro also agree. This is in fact the main reason they are pushing for Quality Contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.