• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Centro area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

I'm off to Birmingham in a few weeks and have a few hours spare so where is the best place to get some photos within the Centro area but away from main stations.
Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisM

Thanks,Any idea on what i can expect to see as i'm after DMUs and some freight.

AlexS

Established Member
Good locales?

Barnt Green will net you 323s, freights, Voyagers, Turbostars, 158s etc.
New Street will net you lots and lots of DMUs and EMUs with a few locomotives
Coseley's freezing cold, you may as well go to Sandwell and Dudley with the waiting rooms that aren't made purely of glass.
Water Orton is very good for a lot of things from DMUs through to freight.
Bescot Stadium is also good for freight and 323s.
Wolverhampton will net you lots of DMUs of pretty much every variety, plus some freights and maybe FM Rail movements into Oxley

ChrisM

AlexS said:
Good locales?

Barnt Green will net you 323s, freights, Voyagers, Turbostars, 158s etc.
New Street will net you lots and lots of DMUs and EMUs with a few locomotives
Coseley's freezing cold, you may as well go to Sandwell and Dudley with the waiting rooms that aren't made purely of glass.
Water Orton is very good for a lot of things from DMUs through to freight.
Bescot Stadium is also good for freight and 323s.
Wolverhampton will net you lots of DMUs of pretty much every variety, plus some freights and maybe FM Rail movements into Oxley
Thanks.
Had a look at Water Orton but the train times to and from seem to be a bit hit and miss but i will go to Bescot.
Last time we went to Walsall which seemed a dump (sorry to anyone who may live there) :)

ChrisM said:
Thanks.
Had a look at Water Orton but the train times to and from seem to be a bit hit and miss but i will go to Bescot.
Last time we went to Walsall which seemed a dump (sorry to anyone who may live there) :)

Dont say sorry, walsall is a dump, lock the car doors when i drive through there

Sprog

Established Member
Bonnie Prince Charlie said:
Dont say sorry, walsall is a dump, lock the car doors when i drive through there

INIT ;) :roll:

Ascot

Established Member
If your using a Day Tripper then Water Orton is out of range and Freight is Bescot, Tyseley is the DMU depot for Central Trains so you can get some there. EMUs are all round but the depot is at Soho and you can get there by Smethwick Rolf Street then walk back along the lines. Stay away from Aston, Erdington and Chester Road as if you have a camera it WILL be jacked by the local chavs (has happened). The only DMUs we opperate in the Centro area is the 220/221 Virgin XC, 153 along Stourbridge, 170 along Hereford, Cardiff, Nottingham, Stan Air/Leicester and sometimes Shrewsbury. 150s 165s/168s are at Moor Street/Snow Hill with a few 150s on the Cannock Chase. 158 sometimes by CT but on the even hr:33 you get a 158 to Aberystwyth and on the odd hr you get one to Chester. EMUs well 323s and 350s and the odd 390 you will see quite alot really, 350s now doing Liverpool Lime to Northampton all stops at times and the odd Wasall to International. However if your getting a West Mids Day Ranger then you can go up Water Orton and get Freight alot more and up Tamworth. Hope this helps and good luck (Y)

ChrisM

Ascot said:
If your using a Day Tripper then Water Orton is out of range and Freight is Bescot, Tyseley is the DMU depot for Central Trains so you can get some there. EMUs are all round but the depot is at Soho and you can get there by Smethwick Rolf Street then walk back along the lines. Stay away from Aston, Erdington and Chester Road as if you have a camera it WILL be jacked by the local chavs (has happened). The only DMUs we opperate in the Centro area is the 220/221 Virgin XC, 153 along Stourbridge, 170 along Hereford, Cardiff, Nottingham, Stan Air/Leicester and sometimes Shrewsbury. 150s 165s/168s are at Moor Street/Snow Hill with a few 150s on the Cannock Chase. 158 sometimes by CT but on the even hr:33 you get a 158 to Aberystwyth and on the odd hr you get one to Chester. EMUs well 323s and 350s and the odd 390 you will see quite alot really, 350s now doing Liverpool Lime to Northampton all stops at times and the odd Wasall to International. However if your getting a West Mids Day Ranger then you can go up Water Orton and get Freight alot more and up Tamworth. Hope this helps and good luck (Y)
Cheers,that gives me a few more options to visit.
As we are going by train and some of the time we have planned for visiting other places i onlt have around 3-4 hours for photographs so will have to pick a couple of locations.
As for Aston,know you tell me :)
Last time i was up in Birmingham we left the station and had a walk around Aston to find a shop plus a look around the snooker/pool shop by the station,take it we were lucky.

AlexS

Established Member
Take a monopod and threaten to smack em with it, works wonders. Either that, or look more threatening than they do, and they'll shy away. Cowards at heart really.

Sprog

Established Member
Not when theres 10 of em :(

Oh, and i much prefer a tripod ;) <D :lol:

ChrisM

Hey don't worry about me i can handle myself and trained to a high standard,unless they have a gun.:mad:

Ascot

Established Member
Ah yes i forgot to mention the Manchester-Brum service with a Class 90, managed to get in the know with the driver so i'v managed to get the timetable for the 90 and it arrives roughly 16:30 on platform 1 then goes off onto the sidings, then comes back for the return, a very busy service on platform 5. As for the chavs they might laugh and start acting hard on ya but they go down easily. As for the gun, well they carry a lil poxy knife at times and a mp3 player you could flog on car boot. (Y)

Status
Not open for further replies.