• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CEP 7105 and the MLV's to leave EKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
CEP unit 7105 owned by the EPB preservation group along with 2EPB 5759 and MLV's 1 2 8 and 9. Currently 7105 has its two driving cars in Eastleigh being de-swindonised and restored to original condition while the TRB and the TCC are being worked on at the EKR.

Sadly the EKR have asked the EPB group to leave the line and have been given until July. Why? I don't know, but it is understood to be acrimonious. Condition has been suggested but as two of the MLV are mainline the EPB is used on the line and the CEP in Eastleigh being obviously worked on I find this surprising.

The EPB can stay as can two of the MLVs. The EPB group want the 10 carriages to stay together which is fair enough, and so therefore they are in need of a new home and fast!

Although the units can be t&t by the MLV's and run as a unit many lines don't want MU's. Being air brake only they can't be kettle hauled and diesels can't couple electrically (33/1 and 73 can and will happily MU with them) meaning their options are sadly limited.

UNLESS.......

Someone on here knows someone who knows someone who knows someone who might be able to help.......

Www.epbpg.co.uk

http://www.rail.co.uk/rail-news/2016/kent-commuter-trains-looking-for-new-railway/

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Any sort of EPB stock is so rare these days, the existing examples need to be treasured.

I had the pleasure of travelling on the EPB at the EKR a couple of years ago and was glad to get the chance. What with that and the two CEP vehicles at Eastleigh, I don't think anyone can accuse the society of resting on it's laurels.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Any sort of EPB stock is so rare these days, the existing examples need to be treasured.

I had the pleasure of travelling on the EPB at the EKR a couple of years ago and was glad to get the chance. What with that and the two CEP vehicles at Eastleigh, I don't think anyone can accuse the society of resting on it's laurels.

Makes you wonder if they could be accommodated at Meldon Quarry on the Dartmoor Rly.? I know it's a long way from 3rd rail territory but at least it was on the southern region.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Makes you wonder if they could be accommodated at Meldon Quarry on the Dartmoor Rly.? I know it's a long way from 3rd rail territory but at least it was on the southern region.

From the pictures I've seen, it's already used to running Southern multiple units. I suppose ultimately it has to be somewhere where it's volunteers can get to easily.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
From the pictures I've seen, it's already used to running Southern multiple units. I suppose ultimately it has to be somewhere where it's volunteers can get to easily.

Yes, that's a good point that I hadn't considered, I suppose it is rather out on a limb if the main volunteer base is in Kent, Sussex or similar, just put it down to me being selfish in thinking they would be handy to visit when on holiday in Cornwall :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, that's a good point that I hadn't considered, I suppose it is rather out on a limb if the main volunteer base is in Kent, Sussex or similar, just put it down to me being selfish in thinking they would be handy to visit when on holiday in Cornwall :)

To be fair, that's a good point as well :D

4-COR 3142

Not good news for the EPB group who put in a fantastic amount of work on their EMU's.

Does anyone know how the Southern Electric Group's 4-COR is affected by what's going on at the EKR?
There is nothing on either the SEG's website or facebook page about 3142.

I hate to say it, bit IF condition IS (as was hinted) a possible reason, then only one of the 'Nelson' coaches is anywhere near presentable for regular use at present.

I really hope this all ends well for both groups.

4-COR 3142

At least two of the EPB Groups MLV's have left the EKR this week, does anyone actually know where they are off too?

Status
Not open for further replies.