• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Certain shades of green

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lankywhale

I have a friend who recently sussed out he can't see certain shades of green (not all shades of green though).

In the medical, would this likely be a fail or is there some leeway?

He's gone his whole life without the knowledge of this until he did a test (see pic) so it's not impacted him at all until now.

What do you all think?

Attachments

• 20191015_105554.jpg
    20191015_105554.jpg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

I have a friend who recently sussed out he cant see certain shades of green (not all shades of green though).

In the medical, would this likely be a fail or is there some leeway?

He's gone his whole life without the knowledge of this until he did a test (see pic) so it's not impacted him at all until now.

What do you all think?

I wouldn't of thought there would be any kind of leeway.

Think it's a case of you pass the colour blind test or you don't. I don't think them saying "oh I can see certain shades" would be enough to convince any medical expert to sign that form off lol.

Fingers crossed that the shade he can see is suitable for the medical and a long career looking at safety critical signals.

Dynamonic

Only the Medical staff would be able to accurately determine whether it would constitute as a pass or fail, and it probably depends on the role applied for.

However, I would probably say that in my opinion, there could be an issue with not seeing certain shades of green particularly in a Safety Critical role such as driving.
To give an example, a green signal may vary in appearance depending on whether it’s LED or not, or whether sunlight is shining on it from certain angles, but it’s vital for a driver to still be able to read that signal.

However, like I said at the start, It’s down to the staff at the medical to determine whether the colour blindness will affect your friend’s eligibility for the relevant role or not, and they'll conduct their own colour blindness tests to determine that. :)

Last edited:

bionic

The picture you attached shows the Ishihara test which is what they use at railway medicals. If you can't pass the Ishihara test you can't be a driver, guard, signaller or dispatcher as I understand it.

The picture you attached shows the Ishihara test which is what they use at railway medicals. If you can't pass the Ishihara test you can't be a driver, guard, signaller or dispatcher as I understand it.

That’s also my understanding for new entrants.

Existing people in same role can also do the lantern test but I think that’s rare now

Status
Not open for further replies.