• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chain mail / Spam - Please don't do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I agree. I get so fed up of receiving this type of email, as well as "if anyone with the email address "[email protected]" don't accept them it's a virus" etc and all the other chain mail spam things.

Equally annoying is the way that I am bombarded with emails 'inviting' me to join my 'friends' at Hi5, Bebbo, Ringo etc etc.

Guinness

Established Member
Marv said:
Equally annoying is the way that I am bombarded with emails 'inviting' me to join my 'friends' at Hi5, Bebbo, Ringo etc etc.

God I know what you mean Marv! I told each of them to go to my Spam box. They just p*ss me off...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
BTW I'm not having a go at people who do this without realising, but hopefully if anyone is in any doubt they'll click that link and realise.

For the record, it's not worth forwarding any emails to anyone about:-

- Viruses (because if you do that for one then you could arguably spend your life doing that for all the thousands of viruses out there!)
- Chain mails that give you prizes or rewards (all false promises)
- Things you should do for a good cause (Again, there are so many good causes out there, you could spend your life emailing people asking them to donate to good causes and in the end you'd not actually achieve anything other than generate excess bandwidth)
- Things you should do to petition - even if the petition will be listened to (many wont), forwarding emails wont help.

As for viruses, all you need to is install all patches/updates for all software you use and have up-to-date virus checkers.

Also it's important not to get involved in chain emails as you are forwarding your own, and others, email addresses to potentially thousands of people, some of whom will harvest email addresses to send yet more spam and junk to.

I hope that helps explain a few things!

Status
Not open for further replies.