• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chair screws for maintenance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris1986

Hi,
Does anyone who works in maintenance know if the "S" on the top of the screws means standard, The "AS" means above standard obviously with a wider thread and "M" stands for maintenance screw. That is what someone told me when i first started. But now people are saying "S" and "AS" are the same thread size and "M" screws are the next size up??

Thanks Kris

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howezy_21

M is the metric diameter of a bolt. So a M6 bolt has a diameter of 6mm so it will fit in a 6mm hole. At least that's what I've learnt on my Engineering and Automotive courses. I've never heard S or AS used before

Llanigraham

Established Member

alxndr

Established Member
Just had a look through my Ellis' British Railway Engineering Encyclopaedia and found the following entries for AS and M chairscrews, plus a few bonus ones which might be helpful:

AS Chairscrew The normal length (6 3/8") Chairscrew (or Baseplate Screw) used to secure chairs and baseplates to Wood Sleepers and Timbers. See also LS Chairscrew, LX Chairscrew, M Chairscrew.

M Chairscrew See Maintenance Chairscrew.

Maintenance Chairscrew An AS Chairscrew with slightly larger threads used as a replacement for loose and worn Chairscrews. Also M Chairscrew.

LS Chairscrew A longer (8 1/82, 206mm) version of the AS Chairscrew for use in built-up Bullhead Crossing "A" Chairs, Thick Based Baseplates and Thick Based Chairs.

LX Chairscrew
A long (12", 305mm) Chairscrew used for fixing Crossing Timbers.

Maintenance Coil A helical metal liner used in worn Chairscrew holes in Wood Sleepers. Also Coil, Vortok Coil.

I note that there was no mention of, or entry for, an "S Chairscrew", but there were entries for AS1/AS2 chairs and S1/S2 chairs, which makes me wonder if S chairscrews are designed for the latter type of chairs (which seem to be of an older type based on their entry in the encyclopaedia. I might be completely off the mark there though, being an S&T bod rather than a pway one.

Kris1986

Thanks for the replies we do not actually stock "S" screws just "AS" AND "M" but a lot of track which is mainly all old bullhead does have a lot of "S" screws installed to the chairs, just seems strange and they must have been in use around 20 years ago.

LukeEasta

An AS screw is suppost to be used for new sleepers or sleepers with no rot or excessive wear. M screw is maintenance as stated above and has a thicker thread, these can be used with rotting or poor sleepers.

A S1 chair is for new 95lb bullhead rail, AS1 is for worn 95lb bullhead rail. S2 is for 85lb rail. S1J and S2j are chairs that sit either side of a joint.

A LSA screw has a long thread and is used for crossing noses. A LXA screw is even longer and I believe these can be used on longitudinal timbers.

The only chair I am still to find out is a S1M chair, this is thinner in width. All I can make out is it is a maintenance chair for indented sleepers and each chair is machined differently and thicker in depth to help with the track top.

Status
Not open for further replies.