• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chalvey Halt, Slough

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
From the BBC:

Chalvey rail station plan goes out to public
Views are being sought on plans to build a new railway station in Berkshire.

Slough Borough Council has launched a four-week consultation asking residents in Chalvey if they want a new stop on the line between Slough and Windsor.

A single unmanned platform is proposed on the line currently operated by First Great Western.

Chalvey last had a railway station in 1929 but it closed the following year after just 14 months. (read more)

Having looked at the map, I can see why it closed so quickly - it's less than a mile from Slough station! Although there seems to be some new housing development in the area since 1930 it's not a lot bigger. I'm not familiar with the area but can't see much demand for the station - Slough would be more conveniently accessed directly, and there can't be that much demand for Windsor? Also surely it would be something to assess after the impact of Crossrail is known.

That said I'm generally in favour of more local stations where it doesn't have a negative impact on other services, as it wouldn't here.

Is this consultation then just a sop to regeneration or are Slough seriously considering stumping up (presumably millions) for this stop? Given the unhappy saga of the (much more promisingly sited) Green Park station I don't hold out too much hope.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tiny Tim

As local authorities provide considerable funding for new stations it's no surprise that they want some say in where they go! Slough Borough Council won't be worrying too much about other users of the trains, it's their council tax payers who vote for them. Or not.

-HarleyD-

Wow, Is it just my past life as a revenue officer or can anyone else see that this is as inviting a revenue free for all. Scrotes coming into Slough will all jump on the Windsor train and get off at Chalvey. Then walk back into town just as they do at Reading West when going to Reading. Gateline neatly avoided and scrotes on a freebie, FGW may as well remove the gates at Slough and save the money spent manning them.

Last edited:

gswindale

Peak Crossrail trains (which will replace the FGW stopping services), I suppose?

Why would Crossrail divert down the Windsor branch?

Surely the existing self-contained shuttle will be more than suitable to have a few services stopping there in the peaks?

CarltonA

-HarleyD- has it right. This would be a fare evaders paradise. A possible intermediate halt on the Windsor branch would be near the road into Eton Wick which could serve the north end of Eton and Eton Wick/Dorney in the other direction. I don't think either will happen anytime soon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.