• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chances of becoming a operative at NWR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recce31

Good evening

Just wonder what’s the chances of getting a job as a operative for network rail with no experience of working on the rails in any off the disciplines ie track, Off track, S&T and OHL.
Applied for a few operative roles, have two still being processed and waiting to hear back if iv been successful to get to the interview stage. But the others I’ve had emails saying they have found more suitable candidates.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jay_123

Operative is the entry level position, so you’ve got a good chance. However that’s not to say its easy, with them being entry level positions, a lot of the public apply. 1 operative job i know of had over 150 applicants so you have to stand out with your application

Recce31

Operative is the entry level position, so you’ve got a good chance. However that’s not to say its easy, with them being entry level positions, a lot of the public apply. 1 operative job i know of had over 150 applicants so you have to stand out with your application
Ok thanks for the advice.

Recce31

I’ve currently applied for 4 op jobs but with two I got the dreaded email saying they have found someone more suitable for the job. But I currently have one saying Application under consideration for assessment 2 for on track at Preston. It’s been a month with it saying that. How long does it take roughly to hear back from them ?

Jay_123

Honestly, it depends on the hiring manager and how busy he is etc. Under consideration for assessment 2 means you have passed the pre screening and your application is with the hiring manager whilst he decides who to interview. Its easy for me to say but the best thing to do is to just sit tight and wait unfortunately mate. I THINK the hiring manager has 6 weeks to respond with an answer of who to interview before HR can contact him.

Recce31

That’s put my mind at ease buddy really appreciate it. With being ex military and being out around 13 months now. Doing agency work isnt really for me working in factory’s and I feel working for NWR would be a great career. Just really keen to get in so any advice is great. Thanks again mate really appreciate you taking time out of your day to reply.

Js98

Good evening

Just wonder what’s the chances of getting a job as a operative for network rail with no experience of working on the rails in any off the disciplines ie track, Off track, S&T and OHL.
Applied for a few operative roles, have two still being processed and waiting to hear back if iv been successful to get to the interview stage. But the others I’ve had emails saying they have found more suitable candidates.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have you considered funding your own PTS and gathering a little bit of experience first? Not essential, but it can definitely work in your favour.

Bosch91

Good luck with your application, I have also recently applied for a operative role near me.

Recce31

Have you considered funding your own PTS and gathering a little bit of experience first? Not essential, but it can definitely work in your favour.
I’ll look into that do you know of any company’s agency’s in the north west to use once I get my pts ?

Js98

Did you fund your own pts and gain experience before you finally got in with NWR ?
Yes mate. I was working throught the week in a factory and getting out on track of a weekend and some week days. It pays off in the end.

Daveyboy2407

I'm in the same boat mate. I got that dreaded email on my 1st application and now I've got 2 more under consideration. I work in a safety critical environment at the moment so I hope that helps me. Good luck with your applications buddy

Recce31

I'm in the same boat mate. I got that dreaded email on my 1st application and now I've got 2 more under consideration. I work in a safety critical environment at the moment so I hope that helps me. Good luck with your applications buddy
Cheers and you just have to keep going with your head down and hopefully we will eventually get the news we want to here.
Good luck as well pal.

Status
Not open for further replies.