• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change in Oyster charging process -- temporary for Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benk1342

Am I being dense, or has TfL changed the way Oyster charging works this week?

Normally, for example, an off-peak journey from Westminster to Kings Cross St Pancras would be charged as -£4.60 upon touch in at Westminster, and then +£2.60 upon touching out at Kings Cross St Pancras.

Looking at my journey history for Saturday 28 July, though, that journey was charged as -£2.00 upon touching in at Westminster, and then £0.00 upon touching out at Kings Cross St Pancras. Same thing for a couple of other off-peak journeys done last Tuesday.

My guess is there is a temporary change during the Olympics to avoid too many people being "over charged" due to failing to touch out properly, but maybe I am missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

benk1342

Yes, that has been changed for the Olympics, for the reasons you mention.

I wonder if there is any chance they won't change it back---might they find that any reduction in revenue is outweighed by the staff time savings in having to deal with fewer complaints/refunds?

Skimble19

Established Member
I believe there's already a plan to allow people to claim refunds via the website, rather than the notorious phone line, or by visiting a ticket office. Therefore I doubt they'll make it permanent.

Barn

Established Member
Interestingly, at London Bridge NR recently there was a sign saying 'no need to touch in today, but still make sure you touch out'. So the new system can obviously work in reverse too.

Last edited:

benk1342

Interestingly, at London Bridge NR recently there was a sign saying 'no need to touch in today, but still make sure you touch out'. So the new system can obviously work in reverse too.

Well it's good that I know about the change or I wouldn't have trusted that sign!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I believe there's already a plan to allow people to claim refunds via the website, rather than the notorious phone line, or by visiting a ticket office.

I've recently done two refunds via the website with no problem, other than having to wait about 2 weeks for a response. I'd generally rather wait two weeks than have to pay to call an 0844 number!

Electrostar

I saw that sign too. When you consider so many Southeasten stations have Oyster readers not barriers I wondered how many pay-as-you-go commuters would bother. Saying that Olympic ticket holders are given a free travelcard and I suspect many southeastern commuters load weekly or monthly travelcards on to their Oyster cards or use annual passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.