• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of career

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyb1978

I would be slightly concerned at the attitudes of whether internal or external is best, "surly" at some point even you guy's were external applicant's.
Why should those that apply externally be any less suitable for a career as a train driver?

Im not saying one is better than the other. The Op said jobs were quite rare and he would keep his fingers crossed. I simply stated that Ftpe were advertising again soon and advised also to possibly look at a conductor or other railway job first to get a foot in the door as it may give him a better chance of getting the job he wants. Simple as that. LIke I said this thread is about the Op.
Last comment on this now so all I say is good luck to the op.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gareth43

Hi,jonnyb

The post was not directed solely at you, there seems to be a lot of biased opinions towards this topic both on here and with people I know who work with FCC, they believe that for positions such as driving one should spend many years working their way through the company to get these jobs.
With this I totally disagree, as many drivers in the past have come from the streets with no prior railway experience and gone on to be excellent drivers.

That's my opinion anyway.

Beveridges

Established Member
I know a few Drivers who used to be cleaners so yes that is one option
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I thought you were not happy with your current job? Your posts over at RC seemed to suggest that.

Not since I transferred over to Blackpool over 16 months ago

Last edited:

Richard N

I want out of engineering altogether. I have never really thought of anything that would interest me and that my qualifications would actually get me somewhere until now. I just wish i started looking sooner. Oh well, I'll play the waiting game and hope something appears.

I'm similar to you Garry74, but in the medical engineering business looking at train driving as a much more rewarding career, what do you recommend as a first action for me?

Last edited:

Garry74

Blimey, never expected all these responses.

Hopefully Transpennine will advertise for positions soon.

Richard N - I'd start by brushing up your CV and doing a good cover letter. Then start reading up on the job. Keep your eyes on the TOC sites for vacancies.

W230

Established Member
Garry, it's perfectly possible to get your foot in the door without already working on the railways. In my experience the hardest part is getting yourself shortlisted for an assessment day. Once I managed to get this far, I successfully completed the whole process at the first attempt and am starting as a trainee driver in August. I also believe that my current job has helped show that I have developed some of the skills that TOC's look for when recruiting train drivers. You're not precluded from having or developing the right skills to be successful at the job just because you're not already working on the railways! :lol:

Of course i'm sure there are plenty of successful applicants who come from internal positions as well as external ones. I can't answer which route is best having only got the job from outside the railway industry. But the cynic in me says that alot of the sniping in this thread about people off the street having crap attitudes, passing lots of signals at danger, being sacked because they can't do the job etc is not the case (I imagine some of it comes from people who already work in the industry but have been unsuccessful at getting a driver position themselves and believe that they have been 'passed over' for someone off the street).

I'm sure if it were the case that external candidates were so crap then TOC's wouldn't bother assessing/recruiting such large numbers externally.

Good luck! If you want it enough i'm sure you'll get there! :)

reapz

Garry, it's perfectly possible to get your foot in the door without already working on the railways. In my experience the hardest part is getting yourself shortlisted for an assessment day. Once I managed to get this far, I successfully completed the whole process at the first attempt and am starting as a trainee driver in August. I also believe that my current job has helped show that I have developed some of the skills that TOC's look for when recruiting train drivers. You're not precluded from having or developing the right skills to be successful at the job just because you're not already working on the railways! :lol:

Of course i'm sure there are plenty of successful applicants who come from internal positions as well as external ones. I can't answer which route is best having only got the job from outside the railway industry. But the cynic in me says that alot of the sniping in this thread about people off the street having crap attitudes, passing lots of signals at danger, being sacked because they can't do the job etc is not the case (I imagine some of it comes from people who already work in the industry but have been unsuccessful at getting a driver position themselves and believe that they have been 'passed over' for someone off the street).

I'm sure if it were the case that external candidates were so crap then TOC's wouldn't bother assessing/recruiting such large numbers externally.

Your missing the point here , He wants to be a driver up north and as said by loads of people on here it is easier if you are on the railway already for loads of reasons.

There is no internals make better candiates over externals.

If you are working as a depot driver for example managers can see with there own eyes how you deal with situations.

Also it has been said on here some tocs wont let you apply for another 6 months after not being shortlisted and some will only let you apply for 1 role there for you are at an advantage if you are working on the railway.

Bottom line is anyone with enough determination, lot of effort and be willing to move away from rural locations can make it as a driver.

Beveridges

Established Member
Yes, in the North it is definetely harder to get on external than Internal. Northern is the main recruiter in the North, hardly anyone else advertises for drivers except maybe ATW or Scotrail. Regardless of whether you have any railway experience or not, you have 3 disadvantages when external:
1) You can only apply for external vacancies, some positions are advertised internally only which external applicants will never see.
2) If you have an application on-going, whether it is "on hold", "awaiting shortlising" or "awaiting assessment/interview", you will not be able to start another application.
3) If you fail any stage of the process as an external applicant, you will have to wait at least 6 months before you can try again.
Internal applicants do not have these restrictions. Also, the Internal application form is much easier than the external one, with a lot less criteria-based questions.

Finally, if they do advertise Internally only, there's normally only about 10 applicants per vacancy. Advertise Externally and it can be anywhere from 50 to 1500+ applicants per vacancy
It doesn't take a genius to work out which one gives you the beat chance

Last edited:

jasont

I applied to become a train driver after practicing as a Dispensing Optician for the past 15 years. I wanted to change career, so looked at several different area's and realized that Train Driving was a challenge which requires you to apply yourself at all times.

I did my tests over a year ago with NXEA, and was one of a few who passed on the day. I was invited back for structured interviews and then finally managers interviews, the latter being slightly more relaxed, but you still had to be on your guard.So preparation was key.

It was my first attempt at applying, so I feel I am very fortunate to have passed all stages, but if you really want something you will prepare and show the right attitude, remember this is a safety critical role, they are looking for people who are fully aware of this.

I was put on hold as NXEA lost their franchise, so it was only recently I had my medical and have a start date.

So if you are external or internal and you apply yourself well, be lucky or clever enough to pass all the tests and then get through the interviews you too will be looking forward to a career as a train driver, but its your attitude that gets you through.

I wish all those wishing to embark on train driving as a career the best of luck.

E&W Lucas

Established Member

You are very perceptive Sir!

Meanwhile - http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64204 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.