• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

change of route excess fare (in one direction)

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
Ignoring the fact most stations refuse to do upgrades correctly:

If I have an Anytime Return from Taunton to Basingstoke (route Salisbury) and wish to upgrade the return portion to go via Reading on a Sunday when Super Off Peak is valid, is the upgrade as follows:

Taunton to Basingstoke (route Salisbury) Anytime Return £54.50
Taunton to Basingstoke (route Not London) Super Off Peak Return £59.20

Therefore difference is £4.70 and I pay half that at £2.35?

I know route change is only half but is fare and route change only half?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
There are two schools of thought on the matter:

The first is that you ignore the fact that the outward journey was made at a time when the (restricted) Super Off-Peak ticket wasn't valid and you deem that to be the "appropriate fare", in which case it's half the difference between that and the original price.

The second is that you should be left in the same position as you would had you bought the relevant ticket(s) in the first place. In this particular case, that would have been a combination of an Anytime Single from Taunton to Basingstoke via Salisbury and a Super Off-Peak Single from Basingstoke to Taunton not via London, at a total of £80.30 (compared to £204 for the Anytime Return not via London). Getting a station to issue that as an Excess, however, is likely to be easier said than done!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
(See https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...ew-route-and-ticket-type.155450/#post-3149681 for your previous thread ;))

Here is the procedure, from the internal KnowledgeBase:
National Rail internal KnowledgeBase said:
Return tickets - change of route in one direction only
Half the difference between the price already paid and price of the cheapest Return ticket, available for immediate travel that allows the customer to travel on the route and Train Company of their choice.

It's a change of route excess; this is to the appropriate fare.

The old "Manual" (before it became "iKB") used to give an example of a ticket from Hereford to Alton, where the customer held an Anytime Single not valid via travel via London, requiring an excess to a travel via London at a time when the Super Off Peak ticket was valid. This is just one excess fare; the ticket type changing is merely consequential.
The Manual said:
A customer holds an Anytime Single from Hereford to Alton routed “not via London”. The customer wishes to travel via London on a day at a time when a Super Off-Peak Single is valid. If the customer does not wish to break their journey, they should be charged the difference between the fare already paid: Anytime Single (£38.50p) and the Super Off-Peak Single (£43). The Excess fare is £5·50. Note: This example is not necessarily the current fare.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
Ignoring the fact most stations refuse to do upgrades correctly:

If I have an Anytime Return from Taunton to Basingstoke (route Salisbury) and wish to upgrade the return portion to go via Reading on a Sunday when Super Off Peak is valid, is the upgrade as follows:

Taunton to Basingstoke (route Salisbury) Anytime Return £54.50
Taunton to Basingstoke (route Not London) Super Off Peak Return £59.20

Therefore difference is £4.70 and I pay half that at £2.35?

If you're asking to change the route, it's a change of route excess and I'd sell whatever the machine produces, which would be half the difference in fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.