• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route excess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA50041

Established Member
Just a quick question around excesses, i did read the ticketing guide but i'm not sure I got it.

I need to travel later today from St Pancras to Stockport and will be using the 'via Chesterfield' off peak return.
On the way back it might be easier to go into Euston, but that off peak return fare is cheaper than the ticket I hold, so could I still get a change of route excess?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Technically, yes, at zero fare.

Practically, you'll probably just be told to get on anyway. Or you'll have a stupid argument about it not being possible at all with some clueless barrier staff.

LA50041

Established Member
Technically, yes, at zero fare.

Practically, you'll probably just be told to get on anyway. Or you'll have a stupid argument about it not being possible at all with some clueless barrier staff.

Thanks for the response Neil.
So it's a bit of a lottery then if the ticket office will do it.
What would be the likely situation with the TM on the train if the ticket office refused?

Thanks

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You do need to shop around to obtain excesses, in my experience.

Earlier this week I tried to obtain a change or route excess at Marylebone - the clerk said he'd never heard of them! I tried an RPI near the barrier but he couldn't get it to come up with the correct excess fare. Finally a ticket clerk at Aylesbury managed to sort it for me.

A better experience at Doncaster earlier today with the clerk who served me sorting out a change of route excess with no trouble at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.