• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Change of route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
I have brought a Anytime Return from Peterborough to Birmingham Stations with a priv discount dated for Saturday 11th August 2012 - now I would like to change only the outward portion of my tickets to London Euston to Birmingham Stations so I can use Virgin Trains.

Can I change the outward portion only?

Do I have to go to Kings Cross where I originally brought the tickets to do the above?

Can any ticket office do this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
You should be able to excess it to the ticket(s) needed to cover the actual journey being made, however, whilst all ticket offices should be able to do it, it will depend on clerk knowledge and the equipment available as to how/if they do it. This sort of excess is normally done better by guards on the train.

GadgetMan

I don't think you can as it's a completely different journey and not a change of route or over distance.

Brucey

Peterborough to Birmingham is never valid by London. You'll have to purchase a new ticket(s) to make the journey you wish to make.

RJ

Established Member
Peterborough to Birmingham is never valid by London. You'll have to purchase a new ticket(s) to make the journey you wish to make.

Or at least to the point of deviance of a permitted route - at a wild guess, Coventry might suffice. I think there may be a misunderstanding as to what a change of route excess is!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can I change the outward portion only?
There is no "Route: London" option. The only route is "Any Permitted" (not permitted via London in this case). So a change of route excess cannot be applied to this ticket.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
National Rail Conditions of Carriage said:
13. The route you are entitled to take

(a) You may travel between the stations shown on the ticket you hold in:

(i) a train on which you are able to make your entire journey without
changing trains;

(ii) trains which take the shortest route which can be used by scheduled
passenger services; or

(iii) trains which take the routes shown in the National Routeing Guide.
If you ask them to, the Ticket Seller must advise you on whether your intended route is
valid with your ticket.

(b) If you are using a Zonal Ticket you may travel in trains which take any route within
the zone or zones shown on the ticket.

(c) Together, the routes referred to in (a) (ii), (a) (iii) and (b) above are the
“permitted routes”

(d) The use of some tickets may be restricted to trains which take:

(i) routes passing through, or avoiding, particular locations; or

(ii) the most direct route.

These restrictions will be shown on the ticket.

(e) If you make your journey by a route other than those referred to in (a) and (b)
above, you will be liable to pay an excess fare. This excess fare will be the
difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the
lowest priced ticket(s) available at a ticket office for immediate travel that would
have entitled you to travel by that route.

This subject has been covered before.

RJ

Established Member
There you go then! Complete immunity from any Penalty Fare on any TOC if you carry a Lichfield City - Lichfield Town single as you'd only have to pay the excess :)

calc7

Established Member
There you go then! Complete immunity from any Penalty Fare on any TOC if you carry a Lichfield City - Lichfield Town single as you'd only have to pay the excess :)

I think you're mixing Rugeley Town with Lichfield Trent Valley. ;)

clagmonster

Established Member
Not from prosecutions though, which I'm sure could happen fairly quickly if you produced a Lichfield TV - City piece, in say Plymouth, TTI tries to charge a PF, passenger objects on grounds of being on a invalid route and condition 13 insisting on the excess.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No, but if a PRIV holder wants to do:

London - Birmingham - Peterborough

on one ticket, then an example of a ticket that would allow this is:

Biggleswade - Birmingham Rte: Not via London (£18.50)
Change of Rte excess on outward portion to Rte: +Any Permitted (£15.25)
Total = £33.75

However London - Birmingham + Birmingham - Peterborough singles are cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.