• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changeover and refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommo61

Does anyone know if you can still get a refund on the remaining portion of a ticket following a changeover?

I have a 6 month contract coming up and have a current ticket which will cover the 1st 4 months, after which I'll need to renew. It's unlikely I'll be continuing to travel beyond the additional 2 months, but wonder if it's still worth buying an Annual ticket (£4,452.00), using it for 2 months, then downgrading to a nominal fare (HTN-LPW) which would have 10 months to run. Can I then get a refund on the remaining value of that ticket, albeit at the normal reduced refund rules and admin fee?

TIA.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Does anyone know if you can still get a refund on the remaining portion of a ticket following a changeover?

I have a 6 month contract coming up and have a current ticket which will cover the 1st 4 months, after which I'll need to renew. It's unlikely I'll be continuing to travel beyond the additional 2 months, but wonder if it's still worth buying an Annual ticket (£4,452.00), using it for 2 months, then downgrading to a nominal fare (HTN-LPW) which would have 10 months to run. Can I then get a refund on the remaining value of that ticket, albeit at the normal reduced refund rules and admin fee?

TIA.
Doing this is not only possible but your legal right - at least, until such time as the National Rail Conditions of Travel are modified.

I would make sure to pay for at least part of the original transaction with a credit card: this way, you will be able to make a claim against your card provider if the relevant train company refuses to provide a refund or changeover.

Tommo61

Doing this is not only possible but your legal right - at least, until such time as the National Rail Conditions of Travel are modified.

I would make sure to pay for at least part of the original transaction with a credit card: this way, you will be able to make a claim against your card provider if the relevant train company refuses to provide a refund or changeover.

Thanks! - So a refund on the remainder is ok. :)

island

Veteran Member
Whilst this approach is permitted by the terms and conditions, I would strongly recommend doing the changeover and refund at different booking offices and on different days. You may otherwise be accused of “abusing the system” and incur increased stress and difficulty obtaining any refunds.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Whilst this approach is permitted by the terms and conditions, I would strongly recommend doing the changeover and refund at different booking offices and on different days. You may otherwise be accused of “abusing the system” and incur increased stress and difficulty obtaining any refunds.
Whilst that may be practical advice, on a point of principle I would never do this!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Should you do this, it's unlikely you'll get the refund on the spot as the procedure for doing a refund on a changeover is rather convoluted, given it involves recalculating the changeover based on the date of surrender.

The refund would be calculated on the basis of the number of whole weeks you have used the ticket, which would then be charged at the normal weekly season price and the balanced refunded (minus the admin fee), ie. the ticket is treated as having a been a normal weekly (monthly= the same rate pro rata). This means that an annual ticket effectively has no refund value after c. 10 months (since the final 2 months are 'free' on an annual ticket.) So the annual ticket effectively gives you the option of having the final 2 months free, compared to weeklies, if you use it continuously until then (and can afford the upfront payment).

Status
Not open for further replies.