• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changes to Annual Gold Card benefits from 2nd January 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

James H

So does the newly extended area throw up any new cheap ways of getting a Gold Card that are comparable to or cheaper than the well-known Ryde, Pevensey and Newhaven examples?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Lichfield City - Lichfield Trent Valley.

It's not as good value though if you can make good use of SWT's free weekend tickets.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Much as I was sniffy earlier in the thread, I think that on balance these are very positive changes to the Gold Card. The extension of the validity all the way out to Shrewsbury is excellent, as is the fact that Chiltern Railways will accept the card all the way through to Birmingham.

Virgin Trains opting out of the scheme is a downside, but they've clearly chosen to to avoid significant losses on their West Midlands route. I know people from Milton Keynes will whinge and whine about it, but they've got plenty of alternative London Midland and Southern trains to use and they gain a useful northward validity. East Coast opting out of the scheme makes diddly squat difference really, especially as my gut instinct is that they'll attempt to pull out of Stevenage when the new franchise kicks in.

SouthEastern HighSpeed already has Gold Card validity. It's just annoying you can't get a Gold Card discount on HS Upgrade tickets.

Indigo2 said:
I would say that's a given, but it's funny how the publicity doesn't seem to mention it. A more interesting question would be whether holders of existing annual seasons in the newly extended area can have these re-issued as Gold Cards.

I doubt it: they will not want to give the Gold Card benefits to people who buy their season ticket the day before the price increases.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So does the newly extended area throw up any new cheap ways of getting a Gold Card that are comparable to or cheaper than the well-known Ryde, Pevensey and Newhaven examples?

Any number of one-stop season tickets in West Midlands, I'd say.

Stourbridge Town to Junction has to be an option, as does Rugeley TV to Town.

mattdickinson

Any number of one-stop season tickets in West Midlands, I'd say.

Stourbridge Town to Junction has to be an option, as does Rugeley TV to Town.

Stourbridge is Ntrain, which is excluded, and there isn't a season between the Rugeley stations.

Lichfield would seem to be the best option at £108

Be3G

Established Member
SouthEastern HighSpeed already has Gold Card validity. It's just annoying you can't get a Gold Card discount on HS Upgrade tickets.

I never tested this, but I was informed by Southeastern that the soon-to-be-discontinued 1st supplement would qualify as a first class ticket for the purposes of allowing HS1 travel without an upgrade.

RJ

Established Member
List of seasons under £5 (from NFM18 mind)

Code:
OriginDescription	DestinationDescription	TicketType	RouteDescription	Fare	TicketTOCId
DEVONPORT DEVON  	DOCKYARD DEVONPT      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£2.60	GWR        
DOCKYARD DEVONPT 	DEVONPORT DEVON       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£2.60	GWR        
LICHFIELD CITY   	LICHFIELD T V         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£2.70	LBR        
FALMOUTH DOCKS   	FALMOUTH TOWN         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.50	GWR        
FALMOUTH TOWN    	FALMOUTH DOCKS        	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.50	GWR        
FALMOUTH TOWN    	PENMERE               	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.50	GWR        
PENMERE          	FALMOUTH TOWN         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.50	GWR        
BAMBER BRIDGE    	LOSTOCK HALL          	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.60	NTH        
BENTLEY S YORKS  	ADWICK                	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.70	PSY        
BORDONVIAHSLMERE 	HASLEMERE             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£3.90	SWT        
NEWHAVEN HARBOUR 	NEWHAVEN TOWN         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.00	NSC        
PEVENSEY & WHAM  	PEVENSEY BAY          	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.00	NSC        
RYDE ESPLANADE   	RYDE ST JOHNS RD      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.10	NIW        
ALEXANDRA PARADE 	DUKE STREET           	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
ARDROSSAN HBR    	ARDROSSAN TOWN        	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
ASHFIELD         	POSSILPARK            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
BEXHILL          	COLLINGTON            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	NSC        
CROSSHILL        	QUEENS PARK GLAS      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
DALREOCH         	DUMBARTON CTL         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
GILSHOCHILL      	SUMMERSTON            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
GLASGOW CEN/QST  	ARGYLE STREET         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
KELVINDALE       	ANNIESLAND            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
KELVINDALE       	MARYHILL              	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
LLANBEDR         	PENSARN               	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	RWB        
MARYHILL         	SUMMERSTON            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
POLLOKSHAWS EAST 	SHAWLANDS             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
POLLOKSHIELDS E  	QUEENS PARK GLAS      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.20	SCR        
BLAYDON          	METROCENTRE           	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	NTH        
BUCKLEY          	HAWARDEN              	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
BUCKLEY          	PENYFFORDD            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
CEFN Y BEDD      	CAERGWRLE             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
CEFN Y BEDD      	GWERSYLLT             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
GWERSYLLT        	WREXHAM CENTRAL       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
GWERSYLLT        	WREXHAM GENERAL       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
HAWARDEN         	SHOTTON               	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
HOPE (FLINTS)    	CAERGWRLE             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
HOPE (FLINTS)    	PENYFFORDD            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
METROCENTRE      	DUNSTON               	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	NTH        
PENHELIG         	ABERDOVEY             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
WREXHAM CENTRAL  	WREXHAM GENERAL       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.30	RWB        
BURNLEY CENTRAL  	BURNLEY BARRACKS      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	NTH        
CANNOCK          	NET 1 WK ADD-ON       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	LBR        
CHERRY TREE      	MILL HILL LANCS       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	NTH        
CHERRY TREE      	PLEASINGTON           	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	NTH        
DEVONPORT DEVON  	KEYHAM                	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
DOCKYARD DEVONPT 	KEYHAM                	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
HEDNESFORD       	NET 1 WK ADD-ON       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	LBR        
KEYHAM           	DEVONPORT DEVON       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
KEYHAM           	DOCKYARD DEVONPT      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
KEYHAM           	ST BUDEAUX FY RD      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
KEYHAM           	ST BUDEAUX VA RD      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
LANDYWOOD        	NET 1 WK ADD-ON       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	LBR        
ST BUDEAUX FY RD 	KEYHAM                	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
ST BUDEAUX VA RD 	KEYHAM                	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.40	GWR        
EARLSWOOD W MID  	THE LAKES             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.50	LBR        
LLANDECWYN       	PENRHYNDEUDRAETH      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.70	RWB        
TYGWYN           	TALSARNAU             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.70	RWB        
BEARSDEN         	HILLFOOT              	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
BRIDGETON        	DALMARNOCK            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
CROFTFOOT        	KINGS PARK            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
CROSSHILL        	MOUNT FLORIDA         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
DUMBARTON CTL    	DUMBARTON EAST        	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
EXHIB CTR GLASGW 	ANDERSTON             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
GARSCADDEN       	SCOTSTOUNHILL         	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
GLASGOW CEN/QST  	ANDERSTON             	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
GLASGOW CEN/QST  	HIGH ST GLASGOW       	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
HORNBEAM PARK    	HARROGATE.            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	NTH        
HYNDLAND         	JORDANHILL            	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
LANGSIDE         	POLLOKSHAWS EAST      	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
POLLOKSHIELDS W  	MAXWELL PARK          	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR        
PRESTWICK SCLYDE 	PRESTWICK INTL        	7DS       	ANY PERMITTED   	£4.90	SCR

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Lichfield City - Lichfield Trent Valley remains the cheapest in NFM19...We'll have to wait and see what happens in NFM20.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Really disappointed about the loss of the FC supplement, and also that once my son is 5 it will no longer be £2 flat rate.

philjo

Established Member
Good to see all of East Anglia included - it was often cheaper to use an undiscounted fare via Bury St Edmunds when going from the Cambridge area to say Colchester than via London.
I take it that the Anglia plus rovers will now have a Gold card discount available?
Are there any other rovers where this will apply in the new area?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Stourbridge is Ntrain, which is excluded, and there isn't a season between the Rugeley stations.

Lichfield would seem to be the best option at £108

Thank you. I didn't check if tickets were available. I'm surprised you're forced on to Centro products in the West Midlands, as point-to-point seasons are available as well as Metrocard in West Yorkshire.

I've also noticed some further information on London Midland's website http://www.londonmidland.com/tickets-and-fares/tickets-and-fares/season-tickets/

London Midland said:
Good news for London Midland customers holding a ‘station-to-station’ or ‘London Travelcard’ annual season ticket, from 2 January 2015 the following changes will apply to Gold Cards:
the area that you can obtain and use a Gold Card will be extended to include stations across the West Midlands, as far west as Shrewsbury and as far north as Stafford – see map.
customers with an existing annual season ticket (excluding nTrain & nNetwork) living in the extended area entitled to a Gold Card for the period remaining on their ticket:

i) Key (London Midland smartcard) customers on the Snow Hill lines will be contacted during January.

ii) Customers with paper tickets bought online or at stations should return to the place it was issued or the closest staffed station within the validity area, and take along –along your valid season ticket and photocard ID card from 2 January.
Monday – Friday time restrictions will be from 9.30am (previously from 10am).
you can buy a national Railcard for just £10, saving two thirds off the full price.
Gold Card discounts will be available on Anytime and First Class tickets as well as Off-Peak tickets.

For a full list of the changes to Gold Card please visit nationalrail.com/goldcard

island

Veteran Member
Thanks, I didn't realise it was a different routing. It read to me as any service via Evesham or Stroud rather than Evesham and Stroud. :oops:

It would be an interesting exercise to get from London to Worcester via Evesham and Stroud ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Virgin seem to have nothing but contempt for their MK customers. They were the first to opt out of the 1st class upgrade, then they stopped calling in the peak times, then they bunched all 3 of their off peak Londonbound services in a 15 minute slot and now they are opting out of the gold card scheme altogether.

With the gold card Virgin clearly want to protect their revenue on the West Midlands runs and may explain why Chiltern have appeared ;) It isn’t to much of a blow as the LM from MK or Bletcho is pretty good with the fastest LM services from MK comparable with the Virgin service. There will be even more choice when E-W opens up the Chiltern route.

Are the Virgin trains peak time arrangements at MK not a franchise requirement?

IanD

Established Member
With the gold card Virgin clearly want to protect their revenue on the West Midlands runs and may explain why Chiltern have appeared ;) It isn’t to much of a blow as the LM from MK or Bletcho is pretty good with the fastest LM services from MK comparable with the Virgin service. There will be even more choice when E-W opens up the Chiltern route.

Are the Virgin trains peak time arrangements at MK not a franchise requirement?

I thought the peak time arrangements at MK were at Virgin's request to accommodate their High Frequency timetable after the WCML upgrade rather than a requirement of the franchise.

Virgin could limit their involvement in Gold Cards to their existing level (ie to MK) rather than opting out altogether. But they obviously chose not to.

simonm

Does anyone know if there will be a new list of easements for the 0930 deadline as per the Network Railcard 1000 curfew?

RJ

Established Member

embers25

Established Member
Super Off Peak tickets are classified as a type of Off Peak ticket.

Didn't realise that. Which then makes you wonder why they didn't leave the wording the same as before which basically just said all tickets.

philjo

Established Member
I picked up a leaflet from the rack at Cambridge station today which is giving notice of the forthcoming the Gold Card changes (though tells you look at the website for the map for the extended validity area)

IanD

Established Member
I picked up a leaflet from the rack at Cambridge station today which is giving notice of the forthcoming the Gold Card changes (though tells you look at the website for the map for the extended validity area)

That's nice for you.

furlong

Established Member

It seems odd not to be providing a copy of the map or indeed any information at all about the "Extended Gold Card Area", but this is a National Rail branded leaflet (GCL14A) with expiry date 1/1/15, so perhaps there is a plan to replace it with a more-comprensive one in January. The small print mentions the withdrawal of East Coast and Virgin.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As CrossCountry briefed it, all easements will be withdrawn

Are there lists of (departure time) easements for any other railcards than the Network Card? I can only recall seeing links to a Network Card list in the past.

But as they seem to have disconnected the Gold Card's use as a railcard from the actual Network Card area, should we be expecting any time easements?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Most of the existing easements will be covered by the new start time anyway. There are a few exceptions such as the 0826 Exeter - Waterloo and 0920 Weymouth - Waterloo which if not continued could mean the new rules are worse than the old rules for some people.

IainH

Found this leaflet at Cambridge last week. Confirms much of the above but does say that the change will apply to all tickets regardless of date of purchase.

Attachments

• Gold Card Changes.pdf
    107.8 KB · Views: 85

infobleep

Veteran Member
Good on them for mentioning what will no longer be allowed. I guess it would be to much for them to write: the new third off child fares will be replacing the existing flat fare of .

Saying that at least you can see the changes in blocks. So blocks of benefits, blocks of disadvantages and a separate list of companies with a small print note about restrictions and those no longer participating.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Do people think these changes will be revenue neutral or will it result in less money overall? I mean I don't pay a £5 upgrade at weekends but then unless the price was exceptional, I wouldn't travel in First class at weekends. On East Coast I might during the week on an advance but what they offer at the weekend in terms of service isn't as good so I wouldn't bother using it then. I know they need to make money so I'm not against them offering less at weekends, just that I would choose not to use it.

I'm surprised though that a lot of businessmen wouldn't pay for a good service on a Sunday when they are commuting back to their place of work during the week but I digress.

Goldfish62

Established Member
As East Coast are no longer in the scheme, I am surprised they haven't extended to Peterborough. It seems a bit odd that there is only one station in the whole TSGN franchise not covered.

I agree. It's always seemed strange to me that Peterborough was never in the area.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hmm. While at first glance the extension looks useful to me, XC validity ending at Banbury and the fact that route is very good for splits means any new savings are too small to bother detraining to Chiltern. Shame it doesn't extend to Leamington Spa where there's more connection options.

Thoughts (on the extension):

1. Virgin & East Coast have gone. Why haven't Cross Country? All three operators could be said to have a low proportion of their operations within the old area and their services are duplicated over much of those routes by other operators so their exit from the scheme can be argued to not be a problem. A little less so with XC admittedly as Oxford->Winchester is a lot more fiddly without them than Milton Keynes->London is without Virgin.
My concern at the moment is XC might disappear in much the same way as them not being part of Groupsave.
2. Going the other way, if deemed a success might the area end up growing further as other TOCs are persuaded to get on board? We could maybe start to see the beginnings of a national railcard.
3. Gatwick Express and Southeastern High Speed as seperate TOCs :)

Virgin and East Coast generally (OK, MK excepted) provide long distance standalone services. Whereas as Cross Country is a mix of long distance and short inter-urban. For example, it provides a significant enhancement to services between Reading/Basingstoke and Bournemouth, and Reading and Oxford/Banbury. I think there'd be an outcry if XC withdrew from the scheme.

And yes, bring on the National Railcard!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I agree. It's always seemed strange to me that Peterborough was never in the area.

I believe the logic was much the same as with Ipswich on the GEML, namely that it was primarily an Intercity station, not NSE. Similarly, they weren't valid on GatEx when that was run by Intercity.

Status
Not open for further replies.