• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

changing advanced purchace tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamesidedepot

Hi all,

I have a question regarding changing an advance 1st ticket.

I am booked on the 2020 from Euston to Stockport on Saturday 4th August with a £49 Advance 1st. My travel plans have changed somewhat, and I no longer will be travelling back to SPT by rail.

I know that I can not get a refund for an advance ticket, however I am pondering if the following are possible, given that changes can be made to time/date prior to the departure time for the first reserved journey for a fee of £10.

option 1) changing the ticket to an off-peak return for use on Thurs 16 Aug when I'm travelling SPT-EUS and return - price £73.70 so by my sums £24.70 + £10 fee

option 2) change date/time to a fixed return from EUS on 16/8 eg 20:00 departure which is showing as £49 on NR with just a £10 fee and buy a single SPT-LON?

I will need to make any changes Thursday/Friday morning however.

cheers in advance

oops - should learn how to spell purchase

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
You can change an advance from London Terminals to Stockport to any other ticket from London Terminals to Stockport. I don't think you can change it to a ticket from Stockport to London Terminals.

John @ home

Established Member
You can change an advance from London Terminals to Stockport to any other ticket from London Terminals to Stockport. I don't think you can change it to a ticket from Stockport to London Terminals.
We know that an Advance Single can be changed to be a Return ticket.
Advance Fares FAQs said:
Q15. A passenger holds a standard advance ticket from station A to station B. but no return ticket. Can they upgrade it to a Super Off-Peak Return by paying the difference plus a £10 fee?

A.
Yes - Maximum flexibilty for the ticket holder before the train departs.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=48377
I can find no definitive information on whether a Stockport to London Advance Single can be changed to a London to Stockport Return ticket.
Advance ticket terms and conditions said:
Changing the time or date of travel

The origin, destination and Train Company or route shown on the ticket(s) must remain the same.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/advance_conditions.html
When a Single ticket is changed to a Return the origin and destination shown on the ticket must remain the same for one leg of the journey and must be reversed for the other leg of the journey. Given that, to allow a Stockport to London Advance Single can be changed to a London to Stockport Return ticket would not be a perverse interpretation of the rules.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I agree with John @ Home that it would be reasonable to change it to a London-Stockport SVR; for example, the customer may have been able to book their return journey earlyr, but when they came to book the outbound there were no Advance tickets available. Or the outbound ticket cost less than £10 and the customer needs to travel at a different time.

I expect the result you get will depend on the ticket office clerk you get; you may need to shop around to find someone willing and able to do what you want.

tamesidedepot

Thanks for the assistance all, I shall visit Stockport booking office tomorrow morning and see what they can do for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.