• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing an advance ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
My friend had a Chiltern advance fare single Leamington to Marylebone. He approached the ticket office to change the ticket (expecting a £10 admin fee) however was told that as it was bought via Trainline (yes I know I told him) then they couldn't do this and he would have to do it with them.

Is this right and if so why?

How could he do it with Trainline with a paper ticket on the day of travel?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Was his trainline ticket a traditional ticket, or self-print/electronic ticket?

tsman

I had a similar experience (but worse) with at a Southern ticket office a few months ago

I had a paper LNER Advance ticket (bought through LNER). On the day of travel (prior to the journey), I asked the Southern ticket office to change the date. They said such a thing couldn't be done, whether with them or LNER.

LNER, however, happily obliged, and I just had to post the ticket back to them and they issued a new one.

Am I right to think the Southern ticket office was wrong here?

district

Definitely can be done in a Southeastern office regardless of who it was bought from.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Definitely can be done in a Southeastern office regardless of who it was bought from.

Shouldn't any ticket office that can do seat reservations be able to amend an Advance?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Shouldn't any ticket office that can do seat reservations be able to amend an Advance?
That certainly should be the case, but some clerks have a habit of making up rules that don't exist to cover for a lack of knowledge.

Tazi Hupefi

Avanti West Coast and Virgin before that are not able to amend any Advance tickets unless:

1) They sold it from one of their stations and they can recall the ticket from some sort of database

Or

2) Virgin could amend web sales bookings as long as you'd used the Virgin website.

In both instances they do something called "non-issue and rebook" rather than an amendment/supplement/excess.

Really annoys me because my tickets are usually bought by work so I can never amend them.

Status
Not open for further replies.