• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing between mobile & full version of Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnolife

Established Member
Good morning all.

I'm wondering if there's a way to change from the Mobile version of the site to the normal version of the site - I'd switched it because I didn't want the forums to eat all of my data allowance on my phone, but now can't find an option to change back.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You don't have to keep switching. Set the style on your 'phone to be the Mobi style and set the style on your computer to be the Default style (or whatever other style you wish).

On a very small number of devices (in proportion to the number of hits the forum gets from mobile devices), you were forced to use the Mobi style. This is annoying and outdated as many phones are perfectly capable of displaying the full site. I know from my own experience I find it infuriating being redirected to a mobile or a a 'light' website!

gnolife

Established Member
You don't have to keep switching. Set the style on your 'phone to be the Mobi style and set the style on your computer to be the Default style (or whatever other style you wish).

On a very small number of devices (in proportion to the number of hits the forum gets from mobile devices), you were forced to use the Mobi style. This is annoying and outdated as many phones are perfectly capable of displaying the full site. I know from my own experience I find it infuriating being redirected to a mobile or a a 'light' website!

The problem I'm having is changes to one seem to affect the other, and my mobile, and more importantly my mobile phone bill, can't cope with the full version of the site - the main menu alone uses almost 25 times more data on the full version as compared to the Mobi version.

Barn

Established Member
What I do now is use the desktop theme as default but use the Android app when I want quick mobile access.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The problem I'm having is changes to one seem to affect the other, and my mobile, and more importantly my mobile phone bill, can't cope with the full version of the site - the main menu alone uses almost 25 times more data on the full version as compared to the Mobi version.
Are you selecting a style using the drop down menu at the bottom of the page?

ert47

I've found an option in the Android version of Firefox Browser that forces the Desktop version of a site to load (Im guessing there'd be a similar option in the iOS version). Selecting that option shouldnt affect what the default browser loads.

However I've found that you might encounter pop-ups asking which browser to complete tasks in. :/

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've found an option in the Android version of Firefox Browser that forces the Desktop version of a site to load (Im guessing there'd be a similar option in the iOS version). Selecting that option shouldnt affect what the default browser loads.
For the past few weeks, people with those phones no longer get forced into the Mobile version of the site anyway. In any case, devices like iPhones and those running Windows Mobile or Android (certainly the 10+ devices I've used or seen be used) never forced the Mobile site to load anyway.

34D

Established Member
Hello. About three weeks ago, this forum stopped coming up (on my BlackBerry) with the mobile site, and instead launches the full site.

Is there a way to get the mobile site back, please? I found it very useful.

Regards to all. Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask in.

Status
Not open for further replies.