• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing from RRB to train, barriered station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I’m visiting my support bubble and returning on Sunday. I’ve just checked and I have an off-peak return. However, I have to get a RRB from A to B. I then have to go through barriers to get to the platform to my final destination C. If there wasn’t engineering works you would normally get a direct train from A to B in order to change there to get to C anyway.

1) Do I have to get the RRB from A to B or can I get a Stagecoach bus because getting the RRB means a 50 minute journey will take 1 hour 50 minute (an hours waiting time at B).

2) When I get to B do I just show the barrier staff my ticket or will they say because I didn’t get the RRB it’s not valid/looks like starting short.
Im assuming they will be aware RRB are in operation on some connecting routes so it won’t be an issue but don’t fancy having to go through any rigmarole.
thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Break of journey is normally available on the return portion (presume that's what you'll be using on Sunday) of an Off Peak return ticket, so if station B is one that you would normally pass through or interchange at on your A to C ticket, can't see that this should be a problem in getting through the barriers at B.

The only issue is that if you are making your own way from A to B by Stagecoach bus rather than using the rail replacement bus (because the Stagecoach bus is quicker and more convenient for you), you'll probably be expected to pay for the additional fare for that yourself.

PG

Established Member
1) Do I have to get the RRB from A to B or can I get a Stagecoach bus because getting the RRB means a 50 minute journey will take 1 hour 50 minute (an hours waiting time at B).
I'm fairly sure, but not certain as maybe ticket acceptance is in place, that your train ticket won't be accepted to board a Stagecoach service bus i.e. you'll have to pay your bus fare directly to the driver.

I'm fairly sure, but not certain as maybe ticket acceptance is in place, that your train ticket won't be accepted to board a Stagecoach service bus i.e. you'll have to pay your bus fare directly to the driver.
Hi, yes I don’t mind paying extra for my bus fare to B. I’m just worried it would look like I’m starting short if I don’t arrive at the station when they would expect the RRB to. I don’t mind paying £3 to reduce my waiting time on the platform from 1hr to 20m!

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
It depends on the exact ticket. If you let us know what A, B and C are someone will be able to check

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi, yes I don’t mind paying extra for my bus fare to B. I’m just worried it would look like I’m starting short if I don’t arrive at the station when they would expect the RRB to. I don’t mind paying £3 to reduce my waiting time on the platform from 1hr to 20m!
Whether or not starting short (well, starting late really!) is allowed will depend on the exact ticket in question, but for 99% of Off-Peak tickets it will be perfectly permitted.

sammyg901

& to be honest highly unlikely you'd be questioned, but if you were if you said " I made my own way here instead of taking the RRB as it was more convenient for me" there would be about an 0.001% chance of anyone having a problem with that very reasonable action

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hi, I'm going from MSD > SFD > BSV
If this is the return portion of your journey, then your Off-Peak Return has a B3 restriction code, i.e. fully valid for break of journey - including starting the return journey at Salford Crescent.

Starting at Salford Crescent sounds perfectly reasonable, so I wouldn't foresee any difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.