• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing ticket at station bought online

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCj34

I have an Advance First ticket from Euston to Lancaster which is valid for tomorrow, in which I want to have the date pushed back to July 10. My dad had it for a business trip in March, but actually left earlier due to the pandemic. The original travel date was for March 20, but got the date changed at a Northern station to July 3 for potentially my use and posted the ticket to me.

It would be very difficult to change online as it was done through a corporate booking agent, as this change would be for personal use but the ticket is lost anyway and would at least be getting some use out of it. My local ticket office is run by Greater Anglia but could not seem to change the ticket, citing that the advance fares by Avanti were not showing on their system when trying to change the ticket, and that they must be web only. Only the anytime fares were showing.

Should a Greater Anglia ticket office be able to change a ticket that was bought elsewhere but has been printed? If so then I have lost the value of a ticket because they have not been able to make a change they should have been able to do. Unfortunately I could not have done this sooner as advance singles for Avanti only became available today!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have an Advance First ticket from Euston to Lancaster which is valid for tomorrow, in which I want to have the date pushed back to July 10. My dad had it for a business trip in March, but actually left earlier due to the pandemic. The original travel date was for March 20, but got the date changed at a Northern station to July 3 for potentially my use and posted the ticket to me.

It would be very difficult to change online as it was done through a corporate booking agent, as this change would be for personal use but the ticket is lost anyway and would at least be getting some use out of it. My local ticket office is run by Greater Anglia but could not seem to change the ticket, citing that the advance fares by Avanti were not showing on their system when trying to change the ticket, and that they must be web only. Only the anytime fares were showing.

Should a Greater Anglia ticket office be able to change a ticket that was bought elsewhere but has been printed? If so then I have lost the value of a ticket because they have not been able to make a change they should have been able to do. Unfortunately I could not have done this sooner as advance singles for Avanti only became available today!
Have you looked online to see if there is a suitable fare available? It may be that GA were simply replicating what you will find elsewhere.

BigCj34

Have you looked online to see if there is a suitable fare available? It may be that GA were simply replicating what you will find elsewhere.
The ticket was £160. There were other options for £120 or £169 fares. For some reason they said the admin fee applied when the website said it does not.

RJ

Established Member

Changes to tickets can be made at most National Rail ticket offices before you travel. Alternatively, you can call the telesales outlet or visit the online retailer that you bought your ticket from.

If there are still other Advance fares available, you can change it to another Advance fare. You will be charged an admin fee of £10 per ticket. If there are no Advance fares available, you can upgrade the ticket to the most appropriate ticket for the journey you now want to make. You will have to pay any difference in fare and an admin fee of £10 per ticket.

BigCj34

Changes to tickets can be made at most National Rail ticket offices before you travel. Alternatively, you can call the telesales outlet or visit the online retailer that you bought your ticket from.

If there are still other Advance fares available, you can change it to another Advance fare. You will be charged an admin fee of £10 per ticket. If there are no Advance fares available, you can upgrade the ticket to the most appropriate ticket for the journey you now want to make. You will have to pay any difference in fare and an admin fee of £10 per ticket.
Shouldn't be an admin fee according to GA's site though if they insist (as they did yesterday with the clerk citing the lockdown was "over") will pay then claim back later. Will try again today, if it does not succeeed will contact GA customer relations. Not convinced that the Avanti fares are "online only".

Essentially I will lose the value on an expensive ticket if a ticket change that should be resolved at a railway station cannot be executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.