• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing Trains At Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanD

Established Member
Oh Mr Porter, what can I do? On Saturday (24/03) I'm heading up North to do Northern's Great Escape. I'm to on the 0641 from Milton Keynes Central as far as Crewe arr 0753. In an ideal world, I'd hope to get the 0755 Northern stopper to Piccadilly.

Having a look at Open Train times http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/CREWE?day=24&from=&month=03&time=08:00&to=&year=2012, this 2 minute connection is actually 4 minutes in the WTT. BUT arrival is at P11 and departure from P1. Couldn't get much further apart. :roll:

It's been suggested on another thread http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=62094&page=2 that even a 4 minute connection from p5 to P6 would be pushing it.

Anyway, as usual, I have been allocated a seat in Coach B from MKC but can anyone suggest which (standard) coach I should sit in to end up close to south footbridge at Crewe to give me a better chance of legging it across the station? I've no idea how far up platform 11 the pendos normally come to rest.

Probably not much chance of making it particularly as I am currently nursing a suspected broken toe but fingers crossed!

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Second footbridge sound better, it's a lot quieter. I've done p11-p3 via that footbridge sub-60 seconds before!

martinsh

Established Member
OK, lets have another go ! [ Forum crashed when I tried to post just now ! ]

If you are on P11 then it is the last coach of the 350 that usually stops adjacent to the south footbridge. That is the bridge you eant - it is straight across to P1.

Good luck - your'e going to need it ! 350s invariably stop outside Crewe and end up arriving 2-3 mins late.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The 0811 VT from Crewe gets you to MAN only 5 minutes later.
Unless you really want the stopper!

Pendos pull well down P11. Must be about coach G alongside the south bridge.
Good excuse for a 1st class upgrade...

There's an annoying set of bridge repairs going on at the P5 end.
Narrows the stairs and you always get somebody slow with cases coming up...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The 0811 VT from Crewe gets you to MAN only 5 minutes later.
Unless you really want the stopper!

Well, the OP is on a Northern Great Escape ticket, so I guess they may prefer to save the money.

If you do miss it, but wish to wait for the next NT service, and don't fancy a wait on the station, Harvey's sandwich bar just west along the road outside the station do the most amazing breakfast butties possible - it's where I head to every time I'm in Crewe, it may be a slight trek with a broken tow though!

martinsh

Established Member
Yes, go as far back as possible if you're on a Pendo. Coach E comes out about level with north footbridge - You're going to need to be REALLY lucky to make this ocnnection

IanD

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys.

I've actually got a ticket from MK to Piccadilly so I can catch the 0811 if (when!) I miss the 0755. I'm aiming to connect in to the Preston train at Stockport (0842) or Piccadilly (0854) which should be doable on either service - at least Stockport would observe the min connection time. It's just that the stopper stops at stations I haven't stopped at before and gives me more time to change at Stockport (but obviously much less time to change at Crewe).

I have a longer early wait at Crewe in August so I may give Harvey's a try, thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
I may have this wrong, but normally the VT service that calls at both MKC and Crewe is the Chester service, so would this service not be a voyager? Or is this the Pendo drag/extra stop?

Ignore that, just checked NRE and seen its en route to GLC :)

IanD

Established Member
Well, I made the hop across the bridge to platform 1 in 90 seconds. Unfortunatley, the 0641 was 6 minutes late ex MK, picked up 2 minutes by Rugby but lost them again plus another 3 by the time we arrived at Crewe 9 minutes down.

The 0811 from Crewe was then 6 minutes late so arrived in Stockport to see the Preston train halfway across the viaduct.

Put plan B into action and headed to Chester instead.

Apart from the original hiccup, another day of punctual trains. On 12 trains in total.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You would probably have overtaken the Preston between Stockport and Piccadilly (cue mad dash to P14).
And still missed it...

Status
Not open for further replies.