• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Changing trains at Frankfurt Flughafen

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience changing trains at the Frankfurt Airport station, we are changing from the Regional part of the station to the High Speed part of the station from an RE train to an ICE train.

It says there is a 10 minute walk, from google aerial images it looks to be connected but cannot find much information online about how easy the change is.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Just wondering if anyone has any experience changing trains at the Frankfurt Airport station, we are changing from the Regional part of the station to the High Speed part of the station from an RE train to an ICE train.

It says there is a 10 minute walk, from google aerial images it looks to be connected but cannot find much information online about how easy the change is.

Thanks in advance.

Does this help. https://www.seat61.com/stations/frankfurt-hauptbahnhof.htm

Man in Seat 61 is an encylopadia of useful info on european train travel

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I think the ICE High Speed main line station at FRA Airport is called "FernBahnhof" or something similar?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
At present, the Regionalbahnhof is closed and will be reopened on 15th December, no regional trains are serving the airport just S-bahn which are using Fernbahnhof. Also, a number of IC/ICE routes are not stopping at the airport either

YorkshireBear

Established Member
At present, the Regionalbahnhof is closed and will be reopened on 15th December, no regional trains are serving the airport just S-bahn which are using Fernbahnhof. Also, a number of IC/ICE routes are not stopping at the airport either

Thanks this is for a journey I just booked on 10th january so imagine it'll be all open by then. I've booked the super cheap ticket and it had no triangles to warn of potential engineering work.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Thanks for all replies. Seems to be easier than what I found. The man in seat 61 link must mot have loaded on mobile as I went there first, but when I checked from link on forum when on laptop it was much more helpful.

10 mins transfer time is about right, if you go quickly you could probably reduce by a few minutes. Essentially, you cross from the Fernbf. on a long footbridge, down the escalator bank into the basement level then turn right and that brings you into the Regiobf. Signage as to which platform is for which train isn't great down there, but it is normally the easiest way into FF Hbf as the S-Bahn trains are fast and frequent.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
The local trains stop at the original airport underground station which is under the main terminal building. The ICE / high speed train station is on the ground floor of the (relatively) new 'REWE' building on the north side of the airport, (which to me resembles an ocean liner on stilts). Both are easily accessible and 10 minutes apart as has already been mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.