• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Channel 4 Carriage Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I watched the program last night and thought it did quite a good job of explaining the complexities of restoring a Gresley wooden bodied coach - three more episodes to follow with different coaches.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I watched the program last night and thought it did quite a good job of explaining the complexities of restoring a Gresley wooden bodied coach - three more episodes to follow with different coaches.
Me too. It could have been edited down to 20 mins as it was very repetitive and I find Peter Snow a little dry. But it highlighted railway preservation in a very positive way

nat67

Established Member
I didnt like the fact that they said that Sir Nigel Gresley built Flying Scotsman rather than just designed her. The Met-cam Mk1 should be interesting though.

Warwick

I wonder if the Gresley buffet cars that were used on the Cambridge to King's Cross trains were found a home on a preserved line somewhere? I travelled on one when I went to Cambridge about 1975 and was amazed to find a wooden bodied coach - painted in B.R. blue and grey - still in front line service. The buffet attendant told me that they liked them because they were very softly sprung and smooth riding.

nat67

Established Member
I wonder if the Gresley buffet cars that were used on the Cambridge to King's Cross trains were found a home on a preserved line somewhere? I travelled on one when I went to Cambridge about 1975 and was amazed to find a wooden bodied coach - painted in B.R. blue and grey - still in front line service. The buffet attendant told me that they liked them because they were very softly sprung and smooth riding.
Where they the ones that you can get from Hornby in Blue & Grey.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There are two Gresley Buffet coaches preserved by the RVP group on the Great Central..
..RB 24278 (9122E) Buffet Car built at York in 1937. Operational
RB 24080 (9116E)
Buffet Car built at York in 1936. To be converted to a First Class Dining Car

Flying Phil

Established Member
Well the series has finished and I enjoyed it. Yes, it was a bit repetitive in parts, but it had to cater to a wide audience and be entertaining. It certainly showcased the depth of heritage restoration capability in this country and presented our activity/interest/obsession in a positive manner. "Well Done" Jon Snow and the C4 team - plus the railway workers/restorers.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Anyone know when the repeat is?* I saw the original transmission date early last week was cancelled and replaced by some rubbish, but didn't see that the re-schedule was yesterday until it was 20.40, by which time it was too late to even use the plus one channel to catch it. I had been expecting it would simply be postponed by a week!

Really piddled off with Channel 4 because this isn't the first time recently they've messed transmissions around at short notice and with very little warning...

*I can't watch it online; Channel 4 have blocked their iPlayer thingy to people who have ad blockers...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I don't watch enough TV overall to make it worth that £30 cost.

Besides, if Channel 4 behaved in a decent manner and didn't mess their transmissions around without warning in the first place, I wouldn't have missed it...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
turn your add blocker off of for that site only and turn it back on when finished. I do that with the F1 coverage.

I am aware of that fix, but the reason I have the ad blocker in the first place is because 2½ years ago I had a ransomware attack which was traced to an advert which was on a reputable national broadcaster's site - and I didn't even click on it; the simple fact of it appearing was enough... So I'm not prepared to take the chance...

I have also since discovered that the Channel 4 version of iPlayer requires Flash Player; my system is too new to have that now-abolished thingy installed!

47 I think.

Thank you; I'll check that out this weekend.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am aware of that fix, but the reason I have the ad blocker in the first place is because 2½ years ago I had a ransomware attack which was traced to an advert which was on a reputable national broadcaster's site - and I didn't even click on it; the simple fact of it appearing was enough... So I'm not prepared to take the chance...

I have also since discovered that the Channel 4 version of iPlayer requires Flash Player; my system is too new to have that now-abolished thingy installed!

OK - you were unlucky - but C4 is a commercial operation and wants revenue. They offer the service it is up to you if you take it.

duffield

Established Member
Given that you can get ransomware etc. from non-advertising content, let's say you are 90% protected from ransomware by using an adblocker. Turning the adblocker off momentarily for one site only probably reduces your effective protection level to say 89.9999%, in other words it does not significantly increase your risk, which is already significant due to the non-advertising based malware.

Ultra safe alternatives: Run Linux in a virtual machine or from a USB stick. Use the Chrome browser, which still includes flash support by default at the moment. No need for an adblocker as any malware will only infect the temporary OS, which contains nothing valuable and can be wiped after use.

tjlrailblue

I saw 3 of the episodes and overall i thought it was quite good really. better than a lot of other train documentaries on other channels. I haven't seen the final episode yet but when it's repeated I'll probably look.

Tim

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Given that you can get ransomware etc. from non-advertising content, let's say you are 90% protected from ransomware by using an adblocker. Turning the adblocker off momentarily for one site only probably reduces your effective protection level to say 89.9999%, in other words it does not significantly increase your risk, which is already significant due to the non-advertising based malware.

I have a much tighter system protection than just an ad blocker... but for obvious reasons I am not going to go into the details. Suffice it to say that I am running the same general protection level as the second level down in the official Government sensitivity rankings...

MarkyT

Established Member
I remember seeing those as a child growing up in North Herts during the 1970s. Remarkable survivors.

duffield

Established Member
Saw the final episode on catch up last night, as expected it had a lot of recycled footage from the first four episodes but I still found it thoroughly enjoyable.
However, when the carriages were being transported down narrow tree-lined lanes with branches apparently just about touching the sides I did wonder why they were not protected in any way by tarpaulins etc.

AndyY1951

I can well imagine that dragging tarpaulins on and off could cause more damage to the paintwork than the branches. Better to have trimmed the branches.
But then these programmes thrive on telling us how things are about to go wrong...……….

A0wen

On Moderation
I don't watch enough TV overall to make it worth that £30 cost.

Besides, if Channel 4 behaved in a decent manner and didn't mess their transmissions around without warning in the first place, I wouldn't have missed it...

An even cheaper way is to buy a NOW TV box - £ 15 in Argos. You have to sign up to Now TV BUT you only get charged IF you go for one of the passes. And a NOW TV box is a re-skinned ROKU box so has BBC Iplayer, ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 catch up services on. I've got one in the children's playroom attached to a non-Smart TV.

gazthomas

Established Member
Gr
An even cheaper way is to buy a NOW TV box - £ 15 in Argos. You have to sign up to Now TV BUT you only get charged IF you go for one of the passes. And a NOW TV box is a re-skinned ROKU box so has BBC Iplayer, ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 catch up services on. I've got one in the children's playroom attached to a non-Smart TV.
Great idea

Status
Not open for further replies.