• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Channel 5 Documentary: Intercity 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowDonkey

Heh, yes I thought they were going to completely avoid mentioning Saville until they did! :)

I think it may have been a rehash of a documentary the BBC did some years ago. That featured Saville rather more prominently. What reminded me most was the piece about the British Rail sandwich.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Bit disappointing the second episode. I thought there was too much on the APT and it was also implied that as a result of the APT project failure HST's then operated on the WCML (yes I know a small fleet operated Holyhead services but that was only latterly). Also no mention of the fact that the HST's have a future with Scotrail/Cross Country and GWR ("Castle class").

If I was to criticise the documentary (which I enjoyed)
1) it rather simplified the transition from Mk1 type stock to the IC125, as if it was a big bang, all of nothing approach, when carriages had been improving, and other non IC125 services would have similar levels of comfort (e.g. the Mk3s on the WCML)
2) it then rather simplified the transition from the IC125 to the IEP, ignoring the Mk4s, Pendolinos and the post privatisation express DMUs

VEP3417

i thought they had already talked about sandwiches on part 1...and the previous gazillion programs that have anything to do with british rail :lol:

good program tho, trains from hell wasnt bad...wasnt good but wasnt bad

Requeststop

I've enjoyed both programmes. I am mightily fond of the 125's. When they are finally withdrawn on the run down to Penzance I'll miss them. I don't like the look of these Japanese split vehicle thingies.

Never seen the Train Jam ad before - enjoyed that a lot.

I recall my first journey on a 125. Working in Bristol after uni, and Points West, the BBC regional news programme were always on about the 125 breaking records on the run from Temple Meads to Paddington. I'd done some good overtime the month before so I was a bit flush, and so a friend and I decided to do a return to Paddington on a 125. First class, with the dining, and return that afternoon. Magnificent, great food, great views, a decent bottle of Hock, (Hock was in, in those days) camp waiter giving us both the spiel and the eye, and we were in London before we knew it. Great journey back, no booze or food but again a great ride and home in time to see Points West to learn that the journey to London had again broken the journey time record again.

Loved the 125's ever since.

Mikey C

Established Member
i thought they had already talked about sandwiches on part 1...and the previous gazillion programs that have anything to do with british rail :lol:

good program tho, trains from hell wasnt bad...wasnt good but wasnt bad
I imagine they did that as an excuse to get Prue Leith on

fitz

My first HST trip was just after they were introduced on the Paddington to Bristol and South Wales services. The Western Region had a special promotion whereby one could travel anywhere on the HST routes for £1.25 . Even in 1976 that was incredible value! I had a trip to Swansea . I seem to remember having a cheap day out to Penzance when the HST’s were introduced on West of England services although tickets were not quite so cheap .

SwindonBert

Finally got to watch the latest episode, found the bit on carriage safety which helped at Ladbroke Grove fascinating as my father was on the 125 from Cheltenham, he was standing in the vestibule waiting to get off to get to work. He walked away that day with no injuries and no idea as to the issues going on elsewhere on the trains. I remember a call from my mother saying he'd been in an incident butbwas ok, just in case I heard about it as if it were yesterday.

Desiro360

Having watched both episodes I though they were fascinating and a good tribute to the Intercity 125. Haven't been on one unfortunately but I have seen some in action over the years. Will miss them once they have all been replaced.

squizzler

Established Member
I recorded both episodes and got the impression the commercial breaks were longer in the second. On the first episode I overshot with the "skip forward" each time. Perhaps advertisers interest was piqued because viewing figures were better than initially expected? Can we expect a documentary on sprinterisation next year?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
On the first episode I overshot with the "skip forward" each time.

I've found that happen a lot on things I've recorded in the last year or so; I suspect the broadcasters are getting wise to people skipping the ads and have found a way to encode their broadcasts in such a way as to render the feature useless at random.

What I do to skip adverts now is to use fast forward 3 or even 4 if I'm confident enough of pressing "play" quickly enough at the end of the adverts.

I do agree with you that there were more adverts in part 2 than there were the previous week.

Status
Not open for further replies.