• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chapel en le Frith to Colchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Hi all

Desperately wanting to get to Colchester Utd v Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

The £66.10 return from CEF to Colchester is too expensive for me, arriving any time on Saturday and leaving after 1715, can anyone get even a few pounds off this fare? Its with a 16-25 railcard.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes.

As you may have seen in recent threads, London Midland have a sale on at present. Therefore, if you re-book at Stoke & London, you can take advantage of the sale and save a few quid.

Gathursty

Established Member
Hi.

Not sure how much of a fan of buses you are or if the Peak District has regular services between Buxton and Matlock but try this:

Derbyshire Wayfarer to get you from Chapel-en-le-Frith to Derby (£10.50)
then
Derby to Colchester (NRE are quoting me advances for the sum of £43.55 as I type)
which gives us £54.05.

Someone will hopefully beat me. :)

johnnychips

Established Member
Hi.

Not sure how much of a fan of buses you are or if the Peak District has regular services between Buxton and Matlock but try this:

Derbyshire Wayfarer to get you from Chapel-en-le-Frith to Derby (£10.50)
then
Derby to Colchester (NRE are quoting me advances for the sum of £43.55 as I type)
which gives us £54.05.

Someone will hopefully beat me. :)

Would the OP be able to get back on the same night?

EDIT: There's a bus from Derby 2150 arriving Dove Holes 2319 (TP). If you could get a lift from there back to Chapel? If you got the 1743 from Colchester, according to NR, you will arrive at Derby at 2118.

EDIT: You could get a bus from Chapel to Chinley at 0722 using a Derbyshire Wayfarer, then trains to Derby, then 1001 to London/Colchester to arrive in time for match. However. using this train and return by 1743, can only get it to £48.33 using advances assuming YP railcard is 2/3 of fare. That's £58.83, so not much cheaper and much hassle.

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member
Yes.

As you may have seen in recent threads, London Midland have a sale on at present. Therefore, if you re-book at Stoke & London, you can take advantage of the sale and save a few quid.

Would it be possible to get from London Liverpool Street to Euston in 27 minutes then? The last LM from Euston is at 1846, I'd want to arrive into LST at 1819 on the 1730 out of Colchester.

If I missed the LM service, I'd have to upgrade my ticket wouldn't I?

Last edited:

Gathursty

Established Member
@johnnychips. That is a good point. I wouldn't like to be in Matlock after missing the last bus home, although if you've got very helpful friends or family then you could do without the Wayfarer altogether. ;)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a very cheap combination that can be used however I am struggling to find an itinerary for it.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm not getting a £66.10 fare at all.

A Railcard Off-Peak Return (SVR) Chapel - Colchester is £65.40 route ✠ Via London and or £58.70 route Not Via London.

A Railcard Off-Peak Return (SVR) Chinley - Colchester is a cheaper £54.30 route Not Via London and or an extortionate £91.95 route ✠ Via London.

You may be able to reduce these prices by using the London Midland Sale for part of your journey.

johnnychips

Established Member

I'm finding advances of c.£99 from CEF to Colchester, so is that 2/3 of that on a YP railcard?

If the OP wants to get home the same night, I don't think this is possible without going through London (via Ipswich?) but I stand to be corrected.

There is a cheap Advanced ticket on the 0712 Chinley-Colchester c.£36 full fare, but there doesn't seem to be one back to Chinley that night at a cheap price.

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member

A Railcard Off-Peak Return (SVR) Chapel - Colchester is £65.40 route ✠ Via London and or £58.70 route Not Via London.

A Railcard Off-Peak Return (SVR) Chinley - Colchester is a cheaper £54.30 route Not Via London and or an extortionate £91.95 route ✠ Via London.

You may be able to reduce these prices by using the London Midland Sale for part of your journey.

I thought it was £66.10, remembered it wrong... :oops: £65.40 is of course the correct Off Peak Return price...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Thanks to John_@_Home for his superb advice by PM. Its ensured I'll definitely be going down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.