• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CHAPS on tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHAPS2034

Having read some of the interesting trip reports, I thought I would have a go!

First a bit of personal gen. I spent around 40 years in the Airports Industry, so chasing aircraft around the world (including Siberia and North Korea) was my main hobby. One of my other interests is beer and I have been a CAMRA member for around 40 years also.

When working, some spare weekend days were spent with friends travelling by train to various northern cities such as Manchester, Liverpool, Chester, Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham from our base in Cheadle Hulme to visit some of the multi-beer pubs that existed at the time. Nowadays of course most of these cities need several days to visit all the decent pubs.

I became semi-retired in 2006 and so had more time to do some “pub research” again using public transport, mainly trains. And I succumbed to getting a book and made a note of sightings and haulage, something that I last did in 1968 at the end of steam. So I have a big gap in railway knowledge during all that time.

Before I try and relay the train information from my last big beer research trip, a bit more gen. Despite my advancing years, I’m told that all the beauty sleep I have had over the years hasn’t done me any good so far; however I am persisting with the need to get up late just in case. I don’t scratch track or shacks, but I do like to travel on new lines when the opportunity arises. In terms of haulage, I must travel in each unit, so for example with non-gangwayed stock, I have to leap out at stops to go from one unit to the other.

In other words I’m a bit of an amateur really – but then I guess the rules are the same as with beer and brewery ticking;
Rule 1 – there are NO rules.
Rule 2 – see Rule 1

I must also apologise if I use incorrect technical terminology; I’m just going on what I think the terms mean after reading reports here. :p

Oh and CHAPS? That’s Cheadle Hulme Ale PersonS. And 2034 was the time of the train from Cheadle Hulme to Stockport when we all used to go out for an evening weekday stroll round Stockport’s Slope of Beer along Wellington Road North.

Anyway, every year North London CAMRA hold the Pigs Ear Beer Festival at the Square Chapel in Hackney at the beginning of December. The beer-orderer there manages to buy some barrels from very obscure brewers but they don’t have anywhere enough stillage to put all the beers on at once so a couple of visits are required – on the Tuesday when it opens and then usually on the Thursday. Wednesday is usually spent researching some pubs in an area I haven’t visited before and riding around on some units.

My chosen transport down to London in the past was to get the xx 55 local off Cheadle Hulme to Wilmslow and wait for the following Pendolino 10 minutes later at Wilmslow to route to Euston via Crewe. However the stopper now comes from Wigan through the chaos of Oxford Rd etc and often ends up behind the Pendolino, so for now I don’t rely on that connection.

So it was off to Stockport on dud 319363 and onto 390043 (whole class are duds for haulage) on the 1043 SPT-EUS via Stoke. Longport went by in a blur and further down the line a couple of 710s were identified at Willesden after a few locos were noted in Wembley Yard.

Descending down the tube at Euston, I boarded Victoria Line winner for haulage 11028 for Highbury and Islington, but then suddenly realised I had an opportunity to visit the new Wetherspoons at St Pancras (the Barrel Vault), so I bailed there. After a long walk from the platforms, I enjoyed a half and then went to see what Eurostars were in (3012, 4011, 4031) before checking that my elusive 395 for sight (005) wasn’t there

Back on the tube (dud 11012) to Highbury and Islington where dud 387234 took me to Hackney Central and a 10 minute walk saw me at the Beer Festival

After a few hours there where I met many familiar faces from all over the country, I set off in the dark for my hotel in Woolwich. Winner for haulage 387202 took me to Homerton where I got off and awaited the next service with dud 387222 which took me to Stratford. I chose to ride the Jubilee line to Canning Town, with all time winners 96017 and 96095 doing the honours. Being a bit late, I wasn’t in the mood to do much bashing, so a Docklands combo of winners for haulage 102, 113 and dud 137 took me to Woolwich where a meal and a couple of pub visits completed the day.

This trip I had decided to spend my pub research day on the South Bank around the Tower Bridge area. Plenty to do here from backstreet community pubs to tourist traps. After a leisurely breakfast and a couple of early pub visits in Woolwich, I boarded winners for haulage 376004 and 376010 for London Bridge. On the way I saw 376027, one of my last two for sight so I was well chuffed. Never did see 022 though, so one still required

My plan was to see and ride on some Southern 171s – I have only been on one and not seen many. But I had time to do a leap to Cannon Street and back and my chosen steeds were 465161 and 465248, both good for haulage.

When the 1207 to Uckfield arrived slightly late, it was formed of 3 units 171724, 171809 and 171729. As I was only going as far as East Croydon, I had to pick one unit to travel in. Well 724 was the only one I had been on before, so I chose all time winner 729. After a couple of signal checks we were slightly late in to East Croydon noting a couple more 171s at Selhurst.

RTT was showing the northbound ex-Uckfield service was running late due to a southbound running late on the single track, so I waited a while at East Croydon and quite a few units went into the book of sights. Eventually another all time winner 171801 took me back to London Bridge. Time for a beer or three!

The plan on my return to Woolwich was to stop off at Greenwich to visit the new Greenwich Brewery Tap at the Up the Creek Comedy Club opposite the Wetherspoons Gate Clock. However a message came through that it was shut as they were brewing (the brewery is in the middle of the bar!) but may open later. Winner for haulage 465014 took me from London Bridge to Deptford where I stepped back onto winner 465025 to Greenwich where indeed the bar was now open. So having had a burger and a pint, it was back to the station where a 10 car 376 combo, winners 014 and 034 took me to Woolwich where I completed my survey of town centre pubs on what was now a dank and miserable night.

The Thursday was a bit complicated. There was a need to go back to Hackney for the beer festival to see if my required new breweries had come on (they had) and then I had to go back across the river and beyond Woolwich (on the famous number 51 bus that connects several south London micropubs) to visit the Broken Drum micro pub at Blackfen. The proprietor has a commercial nano-brewery in his garage which only brews 9 gallons at a time; these beers appear in the pub on the first Thursday of the month and usually sell out the same evening. Having spoken to the boss, the beer would be available tonight when the pub opened at 4pm.

Before the Hackney festival opened, I had a bit of spare time so it was that several Docklands winner units were in the haulage book before I got to Canning Town and more Jubilee Line winners for haulage were taken via West Ham to Stratford. Here I decided to see if any of the dozen or so 315 I required for haulage were out and about. Two were spotted going to the country whilst I was on the Liverpool St Platform but I had no chance of getting across there. After quite a long fester where I got cramp writing down all the Central Line units coming thick and fast and finally got my 321 for sight requirements down from 3 to 1 (332 being the offending example), a required for haulage 315 appeared (839) and conveyed me to Liverpool St.

With the Beer Festival about to open I got winner 317887 (a few of these still needed for sight and a lot for haulage) to Hackney Downs and walked to the Beer Festival. Again loads of familiar faces were encountered there and good conversation and banter ensued.

I returned to Hackney Central mid-afternoon to return to Woolwich via Stratford to discover a farce had been taking place. A wire fault at Highbury and Islington had stopped the job but things had just started moving again, so with a Stratford train due in 2 minutes no problem. No problem that is until dud 378221 got to Homerton and stopped for about 10 minutes. It would appear that a 378 had sat down in one of the two Stratford platforms, so it was a case of one out and one in with indeterminate delays.

After about 15 minutes, I decided to bail and get a service bus to Stratford, but they were not to be found. Needless to say whilst I was searching for a bus, the ruddy 378 moved off and a westbound 378 had also departed; I could have got that to back to Hackney Central, then walked to Hackney Downs and gone via Liverpool St. To make matters worse O2 was down so I couldn’t see what was going on.

Eventually another dud 378228 pitched up at Homerton and 40 minutes later I arrived at Stratford! There was a need to get a wiggle on now, so no leaps or anything – luckily the next Jubilee was made up of winners 96026 and 96099. The next DLR train was shown to St Georges Dock but staff at Canning Town and the on board DLR chap assured us it was going to Woolwich which it did – no winners though.

A 51 rolled up as I got to Woolwich which I squeezed on with all the school kids. Some queue jumpers somehow came into contact with my elbows! I got off the bus the stop before Blackfen and beat it to the pub as it got stuck in traffic. After an hour or so enjoying the beers and conversation with the locals, I set off back on the last of a convoy of three 51s and got back to Woolwich. I did think of bailing at Welling, but with O2 still down, I figured there were more options to get back to Euston via Woolwich.

Duds 376006 and 014 took me to London Bridge and after what seemed like a several miles hike, Northern line dud 51592 took me to Euston. I had a good sleep on 390134 as it whizzed north through the darkness arriving just in time at Stockport for me to run under the subway and board 323229 back to Cheadle Hulme. Time for a swift half in the Chiverton Tap by the station with some friends and then a 10 minute walk home to collapse in bed for my much earned beauty sleep – still didn’t work though!

If you got this far, thanks for reading. And if you think it worth it, I may post some more adventures in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

87electric

Most enjoyable read there. My adventures usually involve consuming beer but only at the end of the day. Daytime drinks affect my concentration too much. If I do beer festivals then it’s specifically beer only and no trains.
Keep reporting on here.

theblackwatch

Established Member
That sounds an excellent few days and one I'd probably enjoy if I required some units down there! (I need very few other than new stuff, and at the moment I am not chasing the 345s as my 'rules' dictate I'd have to do them again when they got extended from 7 to 9 cars.) We had a forum pub crawl doing some of the Docklands network a year or two which was very enjoyable - we did the Woolwich Equitable but my personal favourite was probably the Angel of Bow near Devons Road where we spent longer than planned!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An enjoyable read there! I used to scratch pubs as well as beers, so that kind of trip would have been just the sort of thing I'd do!

These days, it's more about travelling the world and seeing the sights than hanging around in pubs drinking beers. Long story involved there but I'd rather not go into detail.

By all means do keep posting your trip reports, it's nice to see such trips being made and discussed!

CHAPS2034

Thanks Mr Techniquest.

Funny isn't it - I've gone the other way round from world travelling to exploring my own country.

Anyway, a couple more reports to come soon.

Cheers

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks Mr Techniquest.

Funny isn't it - I've gone the other way round from world travelling to exploring my own country.

Anyway, a couple more reports to come soon.

Cheers

Excellent!

I spent many years travelling all over the UK, and save for a few new bits that have now opened (that link to the ECML from St Pancras, Ordsall Curve, Acton Diveunder and probably something else I've missed) the UK rail network is all done. Oh, I need the new bit on Sheffield Supertram to Parkgate as well. My last proper, dedicated, 'bash' was almost exactly 1 year ago in February 2018. Clearly the bug never came back, as while I couldn't help noticing I re-cleared (before the 168/3s, I cleared the 168s back in 2013) by pure chance Class 168 late in 2018 and I still occasionally look at train numbers I don't make notes any more of my journeys. I'm still not sure what caused the bug to just go away, the rot started in late 2017 but I do have a couple of ideas what caused the interest to drop off a cliff. That's rather off-topic though!

As for the beers, I was hugely addicted to 'beer ticking' for a long time. A perfect example would be my trip to Estonia and Finland, my good grief I went crazy on it! Not that I was any better while in the UK. It got way beyond a hobby, and in late November 2018 my drinking had got so bad that I couldn't remember conversations on meet-ups with friends, I spent almost all my available funds (and even got the credit card out more than once...) on alcohol and it ended up with me getting into a rather bad state mental health-wise. So after the last heavy session (you can tell you drink a lot when two full bottles of strong red wine in just a few hours barely affects you, and yes I did get to that point many times) I had to sort stuff out. I won't go into further detail, but my beer and wine ticking days are way behind me now. I still enjoy the odd pint here and there, even the occasional bottle of red wine, but these days I stick to favourites and not much or too often either. I did try a new IPA in Denmark, but I've never logged it on Untappd (I uninstalled the app in November) and have no intention to.

Anyway, that's a bit off-topic itself! I've still an interest in the beers scene, obviously, which is why I'm rather interested in your reports as only a few months ago I'd have been doing the exact same thing as you, trying different craft beers and using transport to get around to different venues.

pieguyrob

Beer and trains. Lovely. My two favourite hobbies. Looking forward to the next installment.

CHAPS2034

Thanks for all the positive comments, so here comes another report.

It’s been a month or so since my last scribbling and in that time I have been busy out and about getting to new places and pubs – and riding around on a few trains too. With "Dryanuary" making life difficult for many pubs at what is already a quiet time of year, I decided that I would try to do my bit to help this important sector of the leisure industry with my own "Tryanuary" looking for new pubs and beers…At least that’s what I tell my very understanding GP. 8-)

First trip out was on 4th January from Cheadle Hume to Chester via Crewe. This the fastest way – the other valid routes are via Stockport / Northwich or via Piccadilly and Frodsham – and there was the possibility of bagging some units for haulage. The train from Cheadle Hulme was 323231 which once upon a time hit an empty Land Rover which had rolled through a fence and onto the track near Congleton – luckily no one got hurt despite a derailment and an opposite direction Voyager hitting debris. Crikey - it was over 10 years ago! Here's the report
https://assets.publishing.service.g...5274a428d000167/R332009_091214_North_Rode.pdf

On arrival at Crewe, my plan was to see what was operating the TfW Crewe - Chester shuttle service just in case it was required for haulage; if it was no good then the double Voyager not long after would do as two of these are still required for haulage. The inbound shuttle appeared and was a 150 so chances – and I was delighted to see it was 150208 – one of 5 of their 150 fleet required for haulage.

In amongst the stored stuff in Crewe Electric was 67003 whilst 325013 was waiting to come out. At Chester 142095 and 158819 were parked up.

Whilst the weather was grey and cold, a good walk round a few pubs new to me warmed me up – perhaps the most bizzare place being a new place called Paysan at 61 Bridge St Row. What Pub describes it thus:-

Located on one of Chester's unique shopping galleries called the Rows, the deceptively spacious Paysan comes in two very distinct halves. Downstairs the emphasis is on wine, coffee and cheese while upstairs you'll ascend into the decidedly offbeat Cavern of the Curious Gnome. Here, a colourful large papier-mâché dwarf gazes down on a Belgium beer grotto. Red-and-white spotted toadstool seating immediately catches the eye but there's plenty more quirkiness to be found amongst the decor.

As I was there at tea time, several groups came in after work but no one wanted to sit on the toadstool bar stools, no doubt for fear of pictures rapidly appearing on social media!

A straightforward journey home involved duds 221112 to Crewe and 390117 to Stockport and a bus home using my old gits bus pass

Travelodge predictably had a Boxing Day sale and it enabled me to bag some bargains, so my next trip was on 9-11th January to Aylesbury. It was somewhere I had never visited, had lots of pubs to explore and gave the opportunity to get some much needed Chiltern unit haulage.

Dud 150142, surprisingly running only a bit late on its Wigan – Alderley Edge journey was going to be in front of the Pendo at Wilmslow for a change, so I took that changing to 390154 which left Wilmslow on time. 345002 was alongside LNWR at Crewe and the stored 365s at the N end of Basford Hall were easily visible as the trees have no leaves at present. Could someone point me to a list of what they are please?

The Pendo was more or less to time; 57002 was seen southbound on the slows north of Rugby and there were a couple of 150s at Bletchley (but no sign of any “ites” on the station o_O). Wembley had the usual assortment of 66s and 67005 at least and 710s by the line at Willesden were 262 and 267

A couple of leaps on the tube provided winners for haulage 11013, 21453 and Bakerloo 3367 from Euston Square to Marylebone as I had plenty of time for the train to Aylesbury and winner for haulage 168111 took me to Rickmansworth with me noting lots of LU units on the adjacent lines on the way. I decided to step back a service there as I was in no hurry and thought that I could watch some aircraft in the Bovingdon hold for Heathrow whilst I was at it. This latter idea got kyboshed when it clouded over as I got there, so it was a cold fester for 30 minutes, enlivened by the occasional appearance of Metropolitan Line units. At least the next Aylesbury service was another haulage winner 165018. I was however still waiting to see 016 to complete the 165 fleet but even after examining units outside Aylesbury depot, it was not to be seen.

The afternoon and evening were spent wandering round some of the pubs in town; must visits include the historic Kings Head near the Market place owned by the National Trust and run by Chiltern Brewery. It has a fantastic interior and is listed on the National Historic Inventory of Pub Interiors. Further out on opposite sides of the centre are the Hop Pole, home of Aylesbury Brewery and the Old Millwrights with a good choice of microbrewery beers.

Next day I spent most of the time in Wendover, travelling by train rather than bus to bag some more haulage. Winners 165019 and 20 were taken to get there with a quick sprint between units at Stoke Mandeville to count them both. This manoeuvre was not required on the return which was operated by another winner 168001. Still no sign of 165016.

There aren’t many pubs in Wendover but each of them have different characteristics – from posh dining places to excellent community boozers. Pick of the bunch for me was one of the latter, the King & Queen which is fairly close to the station. An honourable mention should also go to Crumbs Cafe which produced the best baked potato I have had for many a long year.

I was originally planning to stop off on my way back to London in Rickmansworth, but changed to go via Princes Risborough instead as it would be a new line for me. Pity I didn’t come when the bubble car was still in operation although I have been on a few when they were new! The service is only hourly from Aylesbury and was formed of dud 165014 – very frustrating as all the units I saw going via Rickmansworth would have been haulage winners. And still no sign of 165016 in the station or depot area…

The up platform and buildings at Princes Risborough still retains that GWR feel whilst I was intrigued to see smoke coming from the chimney of the magnificent signal box on the down side, now disused. However not to worry, it was a restoration party at work; the story is here

https://www.chinnorrailway.co.uk/article.php/74/princes-risborough-north-signal-box

The Chinnor Railway 08 D3018 was parked up nearby.

A walk into town found a couple of my target pubs shut for a refurbishment (an occupational hazard at this quiet time of year) so I decided to leave earlier back towards Marylebone. A 165 hove into sight and as it got closer I realised it was the elusive 165016, so an all time winner. Bonus and class claxon sounded!

On the journey east, I worked out with RTT that a couple of leaps would be possible so I baled from this one at Gerrards Cross having spotted required 165024 waiting in the siding. This was taken to Wembley but whilst waiting at South Ruislip my last Chiltern unit for sight, 172101, overtook on the fast line. Excellent and fleet claxon sounded - or did I just have wind? :oops: Amongst lots of LU units in and around S Ruislip yard were the two pairs of 20s, 20901 and 20905 plus 20118 and 132 along with their barrier-wagons.

A short fester at a very quiet Wembley saw another haulage winner 165038 arrive to take me to Marylebone. 68012/15 were in the yard along with at least one more but I was bowled by a unit. More LU units went into the book on the way into Marylebone where a few pubs near the station were visited (try the Thornbury Castle) before I walked to Baker St and took winner 21334 to Euston Square.

As that nice Mr Branson has got rid of the afternoon peak ex Euston on Fridays I boarded the 1640 to Piccadilly via Crewe operated by 390020. A few spare seats too on this one but nowt to see in the dark. On arrival at Stockport, it was back to reality with a snappy connection for a Donkey ride back to Cheadle Hulme. 142047 was my steed – attached at the front was 142030. None of these are required for haulage; 142088 being the last a year or so ago.

Last trip for this report was a day out in Leamington Spa in mid-January. The simple way would be to get an XC Voyager down to Brum, but having had them all for haulage, I try and avoid them wherever possible as I think they are dreadful trains. So my preferred journey is to go via Crewe as this will throw up the potential for some haulage winners on 350s and other things as well as you never quite know what you are going to see there and en-route.

Dud 319378 too me swiftly to Crewe on the stopper where I was annoyed to find dud 350231 on the next New St service; I still need quite a few 350/2 for haulage. Departing on time as booked from Platform 6 we slowed to a handy crawl opposite Basford Hall to go across onto the up fast – perhaps an unusual manoeuvre but I guessed correctly that a freight had been released on the up slow and we soon overtook 70003 on a liner. The Pendo that usually uses the fast at this time was late so allowing this manoeuvre. LNWR had 345054 in the usual spot alongside the shed – also here was 319429 in LM livery and Basford Hall was the usual mix of 86,.90,66 and 70 plus two Colas 56s.

I baled from the 350 at Wolverhampton to see if anything useful would appear to continue forward to New St. There a TfW 158 combo a few minutes later followed by an all-shacks either 323 or 350 which could produce something. Well blow me the TfW pair included one of my last 3 for haulage, 158832 so that was taken to New St.

Time was pressing now as I had an appointment with a Dogbox at Coventry so dud 350375 took me there. Winner for haulage 153375 rolled up on the Leamington shuttle; still need a few of their Dogboxes for haulage. We paused wrong road on the double track north of the new Kenilworth station “awaiting a train in the opposite direction” according to the friendly conductor. Nothing appeared however and after a few minutes we set off again and got into Leamington a couple of minutes late.:rolleyes:

I had only visited a few pubs in Leamington near the station before during a one hour fester between loco hauled trains, so I concentrated on those in the centre and north. Pick of the bunch was the Fizzy Moon Tap where they brew their own beer on site. I had a baked potato here for lunch too and whilst it was fine, it wasn’t a patch on the one consumed in Wendover!

I aimed for some loco haulage on the way home but when it rolled up it was dud 68010 so I got off at Solihull and eventually waited for the following Chiltern that was 15 minutes late but provided another haulage winner in the shape of 168216 to Moor St. In the interim a couple of down locals passed through with various units including another 153 but none were required.

With plenty of time in hand I waited to see what the next Snow Hill service would be and was delighted to find it was comprised of double winners 172217 and 218 which reduces my haulage requirement of WMT 172s to 8. A stop at the Wellington on Bennetts Hill for a swift half (always a super pub where you order beers by the numbers displayed on the giant laser display screen) and then Tram 25 was spotted at the entrance to New St where the tram stop is confusingly named as Grand Central.

Another dud 350 (263) took me to Crewe where 323235 took me back to Cheadle Hulme. It was an interesting day out with the bonus of a few gap fillers for haulage and some interesting new-to-me pubs and beers.

Several more trips are already in the can and reports will appear here when I have time! Just to tempt you, they were to Colne, Bristol, Canterbury/Dover and Blackpool/Fleetwood.

Cheers
CW

CHAPS2034

Evening

I had a bit of spare time today, so here's the next installment of my 2019 travels.

Continuing my trips in January, after Leamington, my next trip was a day out in Colne on 18th with my cousin. It was his dad that got me interested in trains in the first place in the early 1950s and many happy holidays were spent at their house in Bath on a hill overlooking the Great Western main line in the 60s and 70s. There was no need to go to the station as we both had telescopes and an unhindered view, although those pesky GWR brass number plates sometimes were difficult to read. Many steam in those days but one or two diesels were starting to creep in – Warships and later Westerns and Hymeks. The occasional day out took us to Bristol Swindon Westbury and Salisbury.

And then there was the S&D at Green Park; my uncle was well known as an enthusiast there, so shed trips were rarely a problem. Just before it closed I went with my mum to see relatives in Bournemouth. With a long stop at Templecombe on the return, I got talking to the footplate crew. They were mightily p*ssed off with the way that the line had been run down and with closure announced they were in grim mood. No doubt flouting all the rules, I was invited for a footplate ride back to Green Park –an offer it was hard to refuse! My mother was used to me spending all my time in some part of the train with my head out of the window so wasn’t worried by my absence, but I got a right rollicking when I reappeared at Green Park covered from head to toe in coal dust and ash.:p

Anyway, I digress. My cousin’s last visit to Colne had been a steam special hauled by an ex S&D 2-8-0, I think in the eighties, so he wanted to visit the line for some Donkey traction. We met up at Bolton and my train there was 142031 and 156486 on an Alderley Edge- Wigan service – naturally I rode in the Donkey to get my money’s worth. From Bolton, our transport to Blackburn was white Dogbox 153305 plus 150226. With 50 minutes to wait for our Colne service, we repaired to the Wetherspoon’s Postal Order for some liquid refreshment – and to keep warm.

Returning to the station and having once again had our tickets refused by the barriers so we had to be manually let in, we finally got onto the platform to discover all was not well. The preceding York 158 operated by ex Scotrail 158870 was still at the platform, now some minutes late. It transpired that there had been a trespass incident at Accrington. Our steed 142043 then arrived in the adjacent platform. I have to say that the on train and station staff were very good in keeping us updated on the situation.

Eventually the York moved off and we followed now some 20 down. This was shortly followed by an announcement that the service would terminate at Burnley Central – no doubt as to continue to Colne would delay the next service as it’s a single line from Rose Grove with no passing opportunities. On arrival a dozen of us decamped to the nice warm ticket office and waiting room for the following service in 40 minutes. (There are no decent pubs near the badly named Burney Central – yes it is in Burnley but it is hardly central!)

I encouraged people to pick up their delay repay leaflets and we settled back to do some reading or whatever in the warmth. That only lasted a few minutes however as the ticket chap came out and noted he was now closing up, ticket office and waiting room included. Some of us were not happy and told him so!

Back into the cold then although the old station buildings and canopy did afford some shelter from the biting wind. Eventually 142088 arrived running 6 late and took us to Colne. I look forward to my free ticket for being over an hour late although unsurprisingly I have heard nothing yet from Northern!

We walked to the top of the hill and went into the Wetherspoons for a warm and some lunch – fish and chips today; no baked potatoes were hurt during the making of this trip. Whilst here it started snowing hard although it quickly turned to rain.

On Market Street opposite lie three micropubs next to each other in old shop units. Two were open and we visited them; Cask and Keg and Tapster’s Promise with several local beers available in each. The middle one (and original Colne micropub) Boyce’s Barrel only opens at 4pm, too late for us. Apparently the owner is not too pleased at having a micropub on either side, but the others see the three in a row as an attraction, all complementing each other.

Back to the station now with just time for one more half pint on the way down the hill and then 142049 came on time to collect us for our journey back to Blackburn. Here we had a bit of a fester so it was back to the Postal Order before 150117 arrived from Clitheroe to take us back to Bolton where my cousin caught his bus back home.

During our fester at Blackburn I had clocked one of my Northern Dogboxes required for haulage going to Clitheroe , so my plan changed and a tour of a couple of new pubs in Bolton ensued whilst I waited to intercept it coming back. Try the Northern Monkey brewbar in Nelson Square opposite the Spoons for some of their excellent beer!

Smack on time, 153315 arrived from Clitheroe attached to 150215 and I took this to Salford Crescent, changing to 156487 and 156428 on an Oxford Rd terminator. Within a couple of minutes 185108 appeared to take me to Piccadilly where I caught the local home (323235). Bolton – Cheadle Hulme in an hour and a couple of minutes on 4 on time trains through the Deansgate corridor– now that wouldn’t have happened in the middle of 2018!

The Travelodge sale also threw up some good prices for Bristol, so I took advantage of this to plan a weekend away towards the end of the month. Brizzle has a multitude of good breweries, pubs and bars scattered across the city and it’s a job to keep up with the beer scene there. Nevertheless, needs must!

As I have previously written, I don’t like travelling on XC’s usually crowded Voyagers, so getting to Bristol via Brum without using one takes a bit of planning. In fact a few years ago I did Cheadle Hulme – Paignton and return without using one – it can be done if you are not in a hurry!

I did my usual trip to Crewe – this time on 323237 and waited for the 350 towards Brum – again it was a dud in the shape of 350265. At the station, yellow 73951 & 752 were lurking in P2 and rumbled off towards Stoke. Two attached Dogboxes came in from Derby (372+381) whilst TfW’s 153353 was operating the Shrewsbury stopper. 325012 ran into the loop between P11 and 12, so it was quite interesting for a 20 minute fester.

Heading south, LNWR had 345054 in for trials whilst I had my first sight of a TPE 397 (003) in their yard after some electrical compatibility tests between Kidsgrove and Macc. Basford Hall contained the usual stack of locos, some identifiable and some not, plus a pair of Colas Grids (56087 &105).

With plenty of time on my hands, I again bailed out at Wolverhampton and waited to see if anything required would pull in. It did as on the very next B’ham train, one of my two remaining ATW’s for haulage appeared - 158838 (+831), so I took that all the way to New St as the following stopper was a not required 323.

With provisions obtained, I returned to my platform to await the 1V54 south; being Friday it was diagrammed for an HST. Having left Edinburgh right time, it got delayed on the approach to Sheffield and now was dropping more time as it was out of path. Finally 43384 and 207 arrived and with a quick crew change was on its way only about 10 down. Whilst waiting I saw all 3 WM 323s needed for haulage -grr.

On the journey to Temple Meads 68016 & 17 were noted when we stopped at Cheltenham; they were on a Bridgewater – Crewe flasks move. At Parkway, 66541 and 561 were in the yard as seen from the adjacent new platform and IEP thingy 800304 was parked up on the other side of the station. Lots of unidentifiable IEPs were glimpsed in the adjacent depot, surrounded as it is by fencing. There was nothing at Barton Hill save for something under a tarpaulin – further rides past there revealed it is a Newcastle Metro unit. Can anyone identify it and tell me what it is doing there please?

At Temple Meads there were plenty more IEPs to scratch off but I shall wait to ride on one until I have to. However it was good to see a GWR Castle HST in one of the platforms with power cars 43016 and 43194 in charge. I think it was in service too if the platform PIS was correct.

The reminder of the day was spent going out by bus to Staple Hill and Fishponds pubs – the Star in Fishponds is particularly recommended for a great atmosphere and its own ales brewed in a building at the back of the pub.

On Saturday I caught dud 158766 up to Redlands before returning quickly on winner 165132 to Montpellier. Then it was the bus up to Horfield and coming slowly back down the hill on the A38 for some pub visits. Unlike many arterial roads at the edge of cities, the Gloucester Road contains a myriad of pubs as well as shops for several miles.

I had arranged to meet a friend on Sunday in Clifton and took dud 150001 up to Clifton Down. It was great to meetup but perhaps with some more planning I could have rescheduled it and done some leaps on HSTs instead. Looking on the thread on here it would seem that I could have had 3 different HST’s as far as Swindon with an IEP back. I was going to write “one for another day”, but in this case I don’t think so unfortunately.:( However, I have had many of the GWR HSTs for haulage during my trips to Paignton over the last decade and none are required for sight.

Time to return north and at least I did get an HST ride with 43378 & 43303 doing the honours to New St. 66544 & 567 were noted at Parkway and a few more IEPs were noted at Temple Meads. A shortstop in Brum saw Tram 18 outside the station before boarding dud 350263 (again!) and then 323232 back to Cheadle Hulme.

Lots more pub exploring to do in and around Bristol sometime, so I’ll be back there sometime.

More to come from Kent and Lancashire when time permits.

Cheers
CW

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
The metro unit is 4022, it was damaged beyond repair during an incident on the depot and got written off, and is being stored at the Arriva depot for insurance reasons

CHAPS2034

The metro unit is 4022, it was damaged beyond repair during an incident on the depot and got written off, and is being stored at the Arriva depot for insurance reasons

Thanks Kite; info much appreciated.

4022 already seen in Newcastle on a previous visit. Not had for haulage though and not likely to now by the sound of it.

Bristol does seem a strange place to store it, but anything can happen when insurance companies get involved!

Cheers
CW

CHAPS2034

Time for an update on some more excursions involving trains and beer!

For many years I went to a Jazz Weekend in Southport at the end of January / start of Feb. But it has been taken over by new people and has lost its family atmosphere, so I decided not to go this year. This then offered me the opportunity to visit one of the beer festivals that happen annually over that weekend and as I had never been to the Dover festival off I went.

I chose to stay in Canterbury and the journey down there started with 319363 from Cheadle Hulme into Stockport and Pendolino 390043 down to Euston. This routed via Stoke. When we got near Lichfield we overtook a TPE Mk5a test train standing at a signal on the up slow and a couple of XC Voyagers (not VTWC) a signal further along also at a stand. On passing Lichfield TV 66504 and a couple of 67s were spotted on the up slow and they seemed to be shunting into the yard there and so blocking the track. Not a lot else to see on the way down with 710263 and 266 on Willesden.

After a visit to the new Fuller’s pub, the Signal Box, on the Euston mezzanine, a brisk walk down Euston Rd took me to St Pancras where Eurostars 3212 /4028/30/33 were in the main shed - a couple of the 374s going into the book of sights. My ticket allowed travel on HS1 and when I got to the platform my train was dud 395009. However 395007 which was needed for haulage was about to depart to Gravesend etc, so I leapt on that to Ebbsfleet where I changed platforms to let 009 catch up. I didn’t realise it was a bit of a walk and of course the barriers took the hump with my ticket, but I had no problem with the gateline staff.

I got off the Javelin at Ashford and waited for the next train which was formed of dud for haulage 375825 and required 375830. However the latter was detached – just my luck. :{ I still need quite a few 171s for sight but the one operating down to Hastings was one I had seen before.:( And to cap it all, there was no sign of my only 395 required for sight (005) in Ashford Depot!:frown::frown: The remainder of the Thursday was taken up with a visit to a few of the many Canterbury pubs and wondering whether I would get to Dover next day as heavy snow was forecast…

When I got up in the middle of the night for a PNB, it was snowing quite heavily but by the time I surfaced for breakfast it had turned to rain and most of the lying snow had gone. After breakfast I walked across the city to Canterbury West to catch a train to Ashford and then on to Dover; yes more expensive than going from Canterbury East, but a chance of riding more units and also to see what might be seen at Ashford and around Dollands Moor. 2 395s pitched up on my train to Ashford – dud 395008 and required 395025 on the rear, so I rode on the latter. Still no sign of 005 at Ashford! A few other units were picked up for sight before I left Ashford on 375803 which was required for haulage. Lots of units at Dollands Moor went unidentified – I presume they were 717s?

Dover Winter Beer Festival features only beers in excess of 5% strength and unlike most festivals nowadays they don’t sell beer in third pints; the minimum measure is half pints. So my stay was relatively short and was followed by a wander around some town pubs. I encountered numerous friends here and in the pubs and some of us made for the same train home which was dud 395019. However I noticed the following service to Ashford was made up of haulage winners 375802 and 804, so I said my goodbyes and left the Javelin at Folkestone to continue to Ashford.

I knew it was a tight connection now at Ashford and as we were running a little late, it required a mad dash across the station for the next Canterbury service which I got on just as the doors were closing. Winners 375707 and 821 took me back to the hotel. No snow all day, just a chilly wind; meanwhile parts of Southern England further west were at a standstill with a big dump of snow.

Saturday was a no-train day with further research into Canterbury pubs being the main activity of the day. I returned home on the Sunday and winners for haulage 377509 and 519 carried me to Ashford where 395005 was spotted on the depot. Hooray, another class complete for sight.:D

I then hung around Ashford for a while to see if any 395s required for haulage would pitch up to take me back to London. None did but I wished I could have taken Eurostar 373230 back to St Pancras when it paused for a few minutes on its journey from Paris. It wasn’t possible of course. A couple of Eurostars (1 373 and 1 374) rushed past heading for the tunnel but remained unidentified due to the height of the bridge parapet. Nevertheless I was kept busy during my fester watching aircraft overflying and a few new ones went into that book.

As I wasn’t in a particular hurry, I then decided to come back via Tonbridge and the train was formed of winner 375305 and 803; the latter had been a winner on Friday! Last time I was on this route it was on a Eurostar coming back from a business trip to Brussels. A couple of 73s were identified in Tonbridge Yard although there were a lot more there. After Sevenoaks, we were diverted via Bat and Ball due to engineering works, so a new route for me. 66596 was identified on one end of an engineering train when we regained the usual route at Petts Wood.

I got out at London Bridge and waited to see if any haulage winners would pitch up to take me to Charing Cross. I was delighted when the next train in produced all time winner 465038, one of a handful needed for sight, so I took that to Waterloo East and another haulage winner 465151 was then taken to Charing Cross.

My intention was to catch the 1637 off Euston and as I had plenty of time in hand and was feeling thirsty, I walked up to Euston via a few pubs – only a half in each though! 390117 was the allocated unit and for once RTT was right with the platform, so I was in a good position to get a decent seat. Due to engineering works, this service, which usually goes via Crewe was running non-stop to Stockport via Stoke, so that was a bit of a novelty.

With it being dark there wasn’t a lot to see, but a right time departure was followed by a storming run up the WCML with no signal checks. We sailed through Stoke a couple of minutes early. Still we stormed on, gaining time (it looked like the path had a lot of slack in it after Macclesfield) and I wondered if we would get to Stockport without a signal check.

We eventually slowed to a crawl at Edgeley as the preceding Pendolino which left Euston 20 minutes earlier was running a bit late and was only just leaving, but we kept moving and eventually came to a stand in Platform 3 at Stockport 11minutes early, 1 hour and 49 minutes after leaving Euston. Think that must be a record for me.:D

The Pendo had then to fester in the platform for a RT departure, whilst I leapt on one of the rare Sunday stoppers on the Macclesfield line with 323234 in charge. Good job this was running as the next hourly Crewe stopper was cancelled. I’m sure you can guess the reason being a Sunday – a shortage of train crew.:rolleyes:

So it had been a productive few days in Kent – more haulage and sighting requirements achieved, many different and varied pubs visited and lots of interesting beers drunk.

More to come soon – a trip to Fleetwood and a weekend in the West Midlands – involving trains and beer of course.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite the epic time had there, and nice work on the various scores. It's been a long time since I was last in Kent, so as I was reading I enjoyed the memories of my 2014 Kent Rover trip.

I love the noise the Eurostars make on the Ashford avoiding line, a highlight of a visit to Ashford for sure.

That Signal Box pub at Euston, I haven't yet popped in so I'm curious as to how good it is. Next time I'm in London, which is unlikely to be for a fair while, I must make an effort to have a look, having recently re-discovered my love for beer!

The_Train

Established Member
Enjoyed catching up with your trips. Good read, thanks for sharing

CHAPS2034

That Signal Box pub at Euston, I haven't yet popped in so I'm curious as to how good it is

It's very large and is on the mezzanine in the corner on the low platform numbered (east) side. It's run by Fullers and therefore features their beers mostly - which of course includes the Gales brand as well as Dark Star. Prices in Fuller's pubs are usually at the top end of the range and this is no exception.

If there is time for a beer at/near Euston I would much prefer the Euston Tap (if you can get inside) for variety although the spiral staircase to the small bogs and drinking area upstairs can be quite intimidating - in both directions!

CHAPS2034

Following on from my excursion to Kent, the next serious trip was to Fleetwood for their annual beer festival in early February. Initial traction was duds 156420 and 142028 to Piccadilly – needless to say I travelled in the Donkey whilst a friend I met at the station refused to do so. Some people!

At Piccadilly I joined the 1026 Airport – Edinburgh TPE service as far as Preston – this was on dud 350401. Here is espied my first 195 – 195103 standing on the lines on the west side of the station. Next Blackpool train was 150274 and 142037 - you don’t need to guess which unit I travelled on for a bit of rockin’ and rollin’. Another 195 (109) was spotted parked in the carriage sidings. On arrival at Blackpool North, I requested to keep my ticket which was accepted without any comment unlike last time. <D

Despite having a Greater Manchester old farts bus pass, I chose to pay to catch the tram rather than the bus for now't to Fleetwood to get some haulage requirements. It’s a short walk down Talbot Road to the North Pier tram stop – however this has been transformed into a slalom course with the works going on to extend the tram service to the railway station. I had to get a wiggle on to ensure I could find my way through the works to the stop as at this time of year the frequency is every 15 minutes and there was a cold wind blowing.

After a few minutes fester, Tram 010 appeared – what a pain as this was one of the few I had been on before! :'( I did however manage to identify some coming the other way – it’s not easy when passing at speed but two more (013/015) went into the book of sights.

Getting off at London St just before the terminus in Fleetwood, I backtracked to visit the Strawberry Gardens Pub which has a good range of beers. Syd Little (of Little and Large fame) used to run the restaurant here – it was a bit of a surprise when he once appeared with my fish and chips! I believe he has now moved to the Steamer near the tram terminus in Fleetwood – I didn’t get there on this visit.

After a decent session at the beer festival where many familiar faces were spotted, I stopped at the Grade II listed North Euston Hotel. It was built in 1841, to serve overnight guests, making the rail journey from London Euston, being close to the point of departure for the steamers to Scotland. What was to become the WCML had yet to be built at that time.

It’s only a couple of minutes’ walk from the hotel to the tram terminus (the tram actually loops back on itself rather than reversing) and I was delighted to see winner 005 waiting for me. I took this a few stops and got off at Lendal to leg it across to the new build Three Lights pub which I hadn’t visited before. It’s adjacent to the new road into Fleetwood and is a Marston's establishment and an average half of Pedigree was consumed.

I was back at the tram stop in time to see the next service approaching up the long straight and this was, as expected, winner 018 which I had identified going the other way. I took this to Cleveleys to visit some pubs there – nothing to write home about really here but the wind was still biting and at least the pubs offered some respite. Trouble is that as soon as you had warmed up it was off into the cold again.

It had started to spit with rain now and I was glad when winner 015 (it was a winner for sight this morning) hove into view to take me back to the Tower. So not bad – 3 winners for haulage and another for the book of sights. There are still plenty of pubs in and around Blackpool to visit, so I’ll probably be back in the warmer weather – but definitely not during the school holidays...

Return from Blackpool to Preston was by the same combination as this morning’s journey. Whilst I was at Preston 68001/2/4/34 passed by with 4 flasks. Now on to Piccadilly via Bolton with 156424 in charge. On arrival at Piccadilly P13, I spotted required 319369 going into P14, so a quick run down the platform saw me on board for the leap to Oxford Rd where another run over the bridge saw me safely on the Wigan - Alderley service with 142041 leading 156426.

So that was it - more Donkey rides for me and without going on to the beach at Blackpool!

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Tram 023?

(Unless it was a random heritage tram)

Sounded like a good trip to the Blackpool area for some beer & pacer based noise

Established Member
A couple of enjoyable reads.
I must get back to Blackpool for some sea-front tram action.

CHAPS2034

Playing catch up again...

In mid-February, I spent a couple of nights in Redditch. Why you might ask? Well a friend of mine had told me about some Saturday bus trips starting in Redditch and Bromsgrove which visit 8-10 pubs in a particular area and some of these are not easy to get to. As I have to confess to being a pub ticker, this is a very useful way to visit more places which I would probably not otherwise get to. With a 9.30am start and back at 9-10pm, it requires a two night stay.

Friday saw me travel from Cheadle Hulme to Redditch via Crewe. 323239 was my steed to Crewe where I intended to catch an LNWR service to Brum as quite a few 350s are still required for haulage. However at Cheadle Hulme, I noticed an XC Voyager coming from Crewe rather than Stoke and thought that something wasn’t right. Looking at RTT as we sped to Crewe confirmed my thoughts; the LNWR service from Lime St had been cancelled as the inbound service had never made it there.

The problem was that there had been a bridge bash halfway between Norton Bridge and Stafford. A car had clouted the parapet and retaining wall of an overbridge the previous night and there was a danger that some of the masonry would fall onto the track. The slow lines had therefore been closed whilst repairs were effected with remaining traffic including freights, on the fasts, so there were inevitable delays.

Dud Pendolino 390102 rolled up not long after I arrived at Crewe and as it seemed to be the only thing going towards Brum, I boarded. We left soon after a Voyager and after some running on yellows past Basford Hall and LNWR where TPE 68028 was identified, we speeded up only to slow down again and dawdle before being brought to a halt just North of Norton Bridge. Shortly after, we lost all power for 5 minutes or so. The train manager was keeping everyone informed of the reasons for the delay and advised that power had to be cut for a short while due to the repairs.

Once past the bridge where the orange army were out in force, we speeded up again and made our way to Wolverhampton. These Scotland – Euston via Brum trains normally have a lengthy fester at Wolverhampton but not today; just a normal traffic stop would recover some of the delay. The TM told everyone expecting to make connections to XC at Wolverhampton to continue to New St where there would be a better range of services available as the XCs from Manchester were also subject to delay due to the bridge strike.

As I was in no particular hurry, I baled at Wolverhampton to see what might be on the following TfW service where I still need 158827 for haulage. It’s usually 2 158s coupled together, but when it arrived it was only 1 set despite the PIS saying formed of four coaches. As it was wedged – and was 829 to boot – I meandered over to Platform 5 to catch the Walsall stopper formed today of dud 323204 and had almost a carriage to myself, although a few more joined on the way to New St.

I wanted to be in Alvechurch to do a tour of pubs there before the Weighbridge shut at 3pm – it keeps traditional pub hours – and so could afford some leaps on the Cross City line to see if I could pick up any of my 3 haulage requirements for the WMT 323s. Dud 221 took me to University with continuing service with dud 215 to Kings Norton. Whilst here, 66192 trundled south with some VTGs and one of the required 323s (203) went north. I looked at its diagram and it would be coming back in a couple of hours to Bromsgrove, by which time I would be in Alvechurch, so no good for me. I took the next Redditch train (dud 220) to Alvechurch but on my way spotted another of my haulage requirements (214) also heading north and worked out that this one would be back at Alvechurch in a couple of hours, just the right timing to have walked round the 4 pubs in the village.

The Weighbridge is right by the station and well worth a visit if you get the chance. There's lots of interesting beers from local breweries and a convivial landlord in this cosy multi room pub by the canal marina. The other pubs are a bit of a walk away; however it was a lovely spring day for a walk, the skies were blue, the sun was shining and the birds were singing. A robin swore at me as I passed through its territory on my walk down the canal towpath from the Weighbridge to the Crown Inn. The occasional squirrel was spotted scuttling out of the way and a flock of Canada Geese were grazing in a field. Suddenly this peaceful rural idyll was broken by cries of "Bad Dog, Bad Dog". A black labrador had been let off its lead, had rushed across a field and deposited itself in a large muddy puddle. Now a brown lab, it returned to its owner where it shook itself. Bad dog indeed! :D:D

Anyway back to the station and winner 323214 did indeed return and took me the short distance to Redditch. A tour of some of the surrounding pubs that night and a hearty meal in Spoons saw me sleep well and awake refreshed to join the tour bus on Saturday. This went round some pubs in the Dunstable, Leighton Buzzard and Woburn area. The only trains espied were those in Redditch station, one of the pick-up/set down points.

Sunday was time to come home with a few more pubs visited on the way. No sign of required 323203 or 217 unfortunately – I later discovered 217 was away for PRM work. 323240 was used to get to Barnt Green for the two pubs there. One posh eating house was playing host to a middle aged blokes cycling club after a ride in the Lickey Hills. It transpires the pub sponsors them, but a load of sweating blokes in lycra is not a sight I want to see, especially on a Sunday lunchtime! :rolleyes:

323211 took me to Longbridge to visit a couple of large and characterless pubs and then it was forward to Northfield on 323212 where there is a bit of walking to do to visit the two pubs there. 212 was shuttling to Bromsgrove and back and later took me to New St.

I don’t like XC Vomit Comets so will try and avoid them, especially as they are usually wedged in this neck of the woods. However when I got to New St, I discovered that my intended LNWR service back to Stafford had been delayed as the inbound had got caught up in a signalling farce at Winsford. TfW 158824 and 153327 (neither required for haulage) were therefore taken to Wolverhampton as I wondered whether the inbound 350 would be turned there.

However when I got to Wolverhampton the Lime St train was being shown as cancelled, so the only way to continue and get home at a reasonable time (it being Sunday) was to get a Voyager to Stafford. Trouble was everyone else heading towards Crewe had been told to do the same so when 220009 arrived it was already wedged and an uncomfortable 20 minutes or so ensued to Stafford where I was able to escape.

On arrival at Stafford however it appears that the LNWR train had been re-instated – must have rustled up a spare from somewhere and it duly arrived in Stafford only about 10 late, so it had already left New St when the screens and announcements at Wolverhampton were still saying cancelled! It arrived in Stafford with hardly anyone on it; at least it wasn’t required for haulage, that would have been taking the mickey!

I usually return from Stafford via Crewe but a possession between Crewe and Wilmslow meant that was not possible. So dud 350372 took me to Stoke, followed by 390044 to Stockport where 66615, 602 and 524 passed through in convoy. 323229 completed my journey to Cheadle Hulme.

It wasn’t a very successful trip in the haulage stakes but my pub count had increased, a few interesting beers had been quaffed and it was a great social event too.

More reports on my beery wanderings to come soon.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
A lack of haulage successes but an interesting day out none the less.

I wonder if the Liverpool service had run fast to Stafford to make up time with LNWR knowing they could get people to Stafford (albeit via a XC service) from where they could complete their journey on the planned LNWR service?

CHAPS2034

I wonder if the Liverpool service had run fast to Stafford to make up time with LNWR knowing they could get people to Stafford (albeit via a XC service) from where they could complete their journey on the planned LNWR service?

It didn't AFAI remember. In fact at Stafford the passengers for Liverpool were advised to wait for a Pendolino which would get there first.

Cheers
CW

CHAPS2034

CHAPS on Tour continues his wanderings to sample pubs and beer using the railways for transport...

Late February saw a day trip to the Derby Winter Ales festival held in the old Roundhouse next door to Derby station. This iconic listed building is now part of a college, so this beer festival has to be held during half term. At one stage the festival was CAMRA’s National Winter Ales festival, but this rotates around the country every 3 years and this year it was the last at Norwich. 2020-2022 will be held in Birmingham.

My journey started at Cheadle Hulme utilising the hourly Alderley - Wigan service which was formed of 150122 in basic FGW colours plus 142067. As the 150 was a dud for haulage, I naturally rode in the Donkey for the short ride to Stockport where the late running EMT was just departing, so as planned it was a 25 minute fester for the TPE Cleethorpes service formed of 185123. Whilst in Stockport, 66524 passed through on a bin-liner to Northenden.

At Sheffield dud 222006 was waiting to convey me to Derby. 66199 and 66786 were seen heading north – thanks to some enthusiasts at Derby for identifying these.

Across to the festival where there were a couple of hundred beers to choose from. Even on the first lunchtime, the place was already packed and many fellow beer enthusiasts from around the country were encountered. Stand-up comedian James Dowdeswell (Extras, Russell Howard’s Good News etc) did a set to go with his new book – A Pub Manifesto - and I took the opportunity to book him to appear at Stockport Beer Week in 19th September…:smile:.

Anyway back to the rails. Andy and Julie from Sheffield are big beer enthusiasts and both are ex railway, latterly in Peterborough. They said they were returning to Sheffield on an EMT HST so with a few minutes to spare, I said I would catch them up. As I emerged from the Roundhouse, an HST set off northbound. Damn it – I must have misheard the time.:(

But no – this was an empty stock move and I found Andy and Julie waiting in the platform. Eventually the HST appeared running a few minutes late. The leading power car was 43055 and Julie and I boarded whilst Andy shot off to the back to identify the rear one which was 43082; neither needed for haulage. As we set off Julie was scribbling in her book. Are you recording the departure time, I enquired? No, doing tomorrow’s shopping lists, was the reply! :D

With the train being late, my connection time at Sheffield was reducing; however the HST was due into Platform 8 and the TPE was due out of 6, so there was a fighting chance. The situation wasn’t helped by a signal check at Dore and when we got to Sheffield, the TPE was awaiting the road after we had cleared the points. The signaller was on the ball and as I ran across the platform, the doors shut and the 185 disappeared into the night.

30 minutes later, during which 66522 passed through southbound, the Norwich – Manchester hove into view formed of a single 158 (788). With the number of people on the platform, I thought it might be a bit cosy, but a large number of people got off, so it wasn’t too bad. Trouble is the EMT service requires a 35 minute fester at Stockport to get home to Cheadle Hulme; the TPE has connections within 5-20 minutes or I could get the hourly bus too. And that night no freights came through Stockport to enliven my fester until 156459 and 150214 pitched up to take me home.

So no haulage requirements today but nevertheless a good day out and nice to see several people I hadn’t seen for a while.

A couple of days later, with a full service on Saturdays for the first time for 6 months, I went to Prescot on Merseyside to visit some pubs and clubs that have restricted opening hours during the week. First train from Cheadle Hulme was formed of duds 150106 and 150144 which I took all the way to Wigan North Western where I changed to haulage requirement 319375 to take me to Eccleston Park. Whist waiting at North Western, 68025 went past on a light engine move whilst 66511 was hauling a liner.

One of the places I went to visit was a bar at Prescot Cables FC which is only open for matches. Never mind Man Utd v Liverpool, this was the big Merseyside v Manc event with Prescot being at home to Atherton Colliery. It was an interesting match which ended at 1-1 with plenty of action including the thuggish centre-back for the home side being sent off mid-second half for 2 cynical fouls - and the home crowd weren't impressed by his behaviour as he was booed off. Beer was good though.

After a couple more pubs, 319375 returned to take me back to Wigan where I was in time for the hourly Alderley Edge service, operated by 150124, to get me home.

An interesting and different day out – and another pesky Northern 319 goes into the haulage book. And that was the end of the trips for February; reports of March outings will follow at some stage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.