• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charged Metrolink 'standard fare'

Status
Not open for further replies.

sincutti

Hi, just thought i'd get some opinions on this mater.

Last week I had been caught without a ticket by an inspector on the Manchester metrolink. I gave him my details and he said you can apeal as I DID buy a ticket at the start of the day, I had handed this ticket into college and I forgot to get a receipt, yes this is my mistake. But I appealed to Metrolink and managed to get the original ticket back from college and include it in the apeal letter. I got a letter two days later saying that they had "Fully investigated" my apeal and that they are going to decline it.

Is this rite? I'm furious.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hi and welcome.

Did you have the ticket with you when you encountered the inspector?

I don't understand the bit where you say you handed the ticket into college. Did you purchase a MetroMax ticket? Why did you hand it in at college?

sincutti

Hi, sorry was in a rush to post.

I get my travel costs refunded to me by college, i hand my tickets in to get my money back from college. I usually get a receipt from the metrolink machine but i forgot to that on this ocation.

I have full proof that i purchased the ticket ( They have kept the original ticket' typical) but i have photocopys and a picture of it.

sincutti

The ticket inspector gave ne details about the fine, took my details and said i could apeal, that is all.

They are not a very pleasent company to work with.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I assume that now they are demanding that you pay a "Standard Fare", which is £100, or £50 if paid within 14 days. Is this correct?

Did they mention anything else in that letter?

sincutti

You are correct.

Well, the letter is from a debt recovery company stating that i can not apeal again and I will have to pay it or I will have the bailiffs over.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Unfortunately my understanding of the matter is that they are correct in enforcing a "Standard Fare" as you failed to present a valid ticket when requested to do so. If you don't pay the "Standard Fare" within the timescale specified, then it could move onto prosecutions as you were in breach of the Byelaws.

Also see Metrolink FAQs.

Metrolink FAQ said:
What is the Standard Fare?

All passengers must be in possession of the correct ticket, pass or season ticket before boarding a tram. Any passenger who is unable to produce a valid ticket when requested to do is liable to pay a Standard Fare charge.

The Standard Fare charge of £100 must be paid within 21 days. Any payments received within 14 days of the date of issue will benefit from 50% reduction and will be charged £50. Metrolink will commence legal proceedings if no payment has been received within 21 days of date of issue.

It is a very bad mistake to have handed over your actual ticket for reimbursement, as receipts and payment records are not authorities to travel.

You mentioned that you had photocopies of the ticket. I am surprised that your college did not accept the photocopies for the purpose of expenses.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, however I am unable to see how you would be able to avoid this penalty. Sorry.

sincutti

Thanks for your help. As a first time offence and the fact that i'm under 18 and i that I have proof that i bought the ticket, they would make an exeption.

It is paid now but i dislike that company very much.

island

Veteran Member
As you failed to hand over the ticket for inspection, you have committed a violation of the Metrolink System Byelaws. I don't see any grounds for appeal, and as I see you have paid the Standard Fare you can now put the matter behind you and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Proof that you bought the ticket isn't worth a hill of beans, as you could have handed the ticket to someone else getting two for the price of one.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks for your help. As a first time offence and the fact that i'm under 18 and i that I have proof that i bought the ticket, they would make an exeption.

It is paid now but i dislike that company very much.

They might make an exception. You can't lose by writing to them, explaning the circumstances, and appealing to their better nature, although obviously don't count on it.

WatcherZero

Established Member
When you have transport costs refunded you should always get them to take a photocopy not the original. Your problem is you had given away your ticket but were still travelling afterward. They shouldnt really have been accepting you using the reciept if they had done that in the past.

sincutti

Cheers for the help guys.

Forgot to mension that i hand my tickets in once a month.

Established Member
Stuggling to pay, ring them on the number on the back of the ticket and they may let you pay a small amount each week if that is easier.

Alternatively if you originally paid for you ticket on a credit card, a ticket which then has some link to you, you may wish to present your bank statement if this is the case - often appeals may be upheld due to this. Generally loss of ticket is only really appealable for season ticket holders, but purchasing by card can sometimes be helpful to you. Appeal to: slong@metrolink. co.uk

The Standard fare is:
£50 if paid within two weeks
£100 if not resolved after two weeks
Court action often after 3-4 weeks - often £3-400ish and potentially a record.

Ferret

Established Member
They might make an exception. You can't lose by writing to them, explaning the circumstances, and appealing to their better nature, although obviously don't count on it.

I doubt it at this late stage. I know the OP might not thank me for saying this but the truth is he was in the wrong because he didn't show a valid ticket when asked to do so. He's now paid the 'standard fare' and I hope he's learned a very expensive lesson and won't repeat the error. I expect Metrolink now see the matter as closed and that's that.

Sorry to the OP, but this is one that can't be won I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.