• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charing Cross terminators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
On the Northern Line, when a train terminated at Charing Cross, very rare in itself, the destination boards on the platform displays “Charing Cross” with the British Rail symbol next to it. Does anyone know why this happens?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
Why some trains terminate at Ch+ or why Charing Cross is displayed ?

PeterC

Established Member
On the Northern Line, when a train terminated at Charing Cross, very rare in itself, the destination boards on the platform displays “Charing Cross” with the British Rail symbol next to it. Does anyone know why this happens?
Big guess - to make it clear that it is the station formerly known as Strand where you interchange for Charing Cross BR / National Rail rather than the station on the Embankment formerly known as Charing Cross.

I could be wrong of course but its just the sort of thing that gets continued because changing it is "somebody elses problem".

Far north 37

Established Member
Big guess - to make it clear that it is the station formerly known as Strand where you interchange for Charing Cross BR / National Rail rather than the station on the Embankment formerly known as Charing Cross.

I could be wrong of course but its just the sort of thing that gets continued because changing it is "somebody elses problem".
Due to the names being changed back in the 70s i doubt anybody would be caught out by that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.