• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charter Train at Inverness on Easter Sunday 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi. I was on the phone to a friend who lives near Inverness, he told me that he was on the Railway Station there on Easter Sunday morning and a Charter Train was shown on the indicator board due to depart at 11.00AM.
We were both wondering what that was all about.
Are there any charter trains at the moment?. He said the rolling stock was possibly Maroon. Not sure what the traction was.

Does anyone have any ideas what this service may have been. Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi. I was on the phone to a friend who lives near Inverness, he told me that he was on the Railway Station there on Easter Sunday morning and a Charter Train was shown on the indicator board due to depart at 11.00AM.
We were both wondering what that was all about.
Are there any charter trains at the moment?. He said the rolling stock was possibly Maroon. Not sure what the traction was.

Does anyone have any ideas what this service may have been. Many thanks.
As far as I can see nothing ran at that sort of time.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Possibly a West Coast Railways service doing a route familiarisation run?
What, without a path allocated?

Looks like 47854 went to Inverness on Sunday night, screenshot from 'sulzerpower' below but the reference was to a charter train there on Sunday morning.
1617734040017.png
This appears to have been snowplow work.

37419+37423 were at Inverness on Saturday but left that evening to work to Mossend on 37419 + 37423 4D47 1754 Inverness Freight Sdgs Drs - Mossend Up Yard (source https://www.class37.co.uk/2021/2104work.aspx)

Last edited:

Veteran Member
There's a couple of Q paths from Kyle to Boat of Garten which weren't activated on Sunday but it's consistent with a charter.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's a couple of Q paths from Kyle to Boat of Garten which weren't activated on Sunday but it's consistent with a charter.
It is not consistent with the location of any GBRf engines though (other than 73968 and 73970 off the sleeper).

Iskra

Established Member
There's sometimes a WCRC 37/47/57 at Inverness, or a DRS one.

Also weren't two 37's recently on a container train to Inverness, one in Intercity Livery which some of enthusiasts may have been waiting trying to photograph?

Any of the above could have perhaps caused some confusion around a railtour being present or anticipated?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's sometimes a WCRC 37/47/57 at Inverness, or a DRS one.

Also weren't two 37's recently on a container train to Inverness, one in Intercity Livery which some of enthusiasts may have been waiting trying to photograph?

Any of the above could have perhaps caused some confusion around a railtour being present or anticipated?
Yes, but as I have noted in this thread DRS 37419 and 37423 left on Saturday and WCRC 47854 appeared on Sunday evening. It could just be a misidentification of the sleeper.

Established Member
There is nothing in any of the systems that it could have been. I think someone has just misidentified something either non railway or the sleeper stock.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Given the ScotRail conductors' industrial action, the only things that were in and out of Inverness station on Easter Sunday were the Up and Down LNER Kings Cross services, a few sets of ScotRail empties and the sleepers. Definitely no mysterious maroon railtours.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Given the ScotRail conductors' industrial action, the only things that were in and out of Inverness station on Easter Sunday were the Up and Down LNER Kings Cross services, a few sets of ScotRail empties and the sleepers. Definitely no mysterious maroon railtours.
I'll try and find our more from him when I speak to him on Sunday. (Maybe he had had a bit too much of the local brew) :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.