• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Charter Train to Buxton 11 Aug 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I am going on a diesel railtour to Buxton on 11 August all being well, it's using the rare Peak Forest route which I have not done before, I have looked at various rail maps, but the ones I have are not too clear, would I be correct that the train will have to make at least one reversal to get into the platform at Buxton Railway Station? I am just awaiting for the tickets to come.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Yes it will have to reverse to get into the station - the junction is just over 1/4 mile out.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Indeed, I believe it's called Buxton XYZ Sidings. Interesting route through Great Rocks and Peak Forest, usually some freight and plenty of locos knocking about round there.

gazthomas

Established Member
I'm booked on it too, really looking forward to going around Peak Forest. Shame I've had to take the wife, sister-in-law and mother-in-law with me. I sold it as a birthday trip for her!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm booked on it too, really looking forward to going around Peak Forest. Shame I've had to take the wife, sister-in-law and mother-in-law with me. I sold it as a birthday trip for her!

All I can say is that you clearly have a very patient / understanding wife! Referring to my spouse as "the wife" would go down very badly. And presenting a rail tour as a suitable birthday present would be grounds for divorce! I can only assume that you met your wife at the end of a platform. Fair play :)

scotsman

Established Member
I got a run on the Peak Forest on the SRPS tour last year, fantastic

MCW

ah blast would try and get photos myself but I'm Roadie - ing with a band that week.

gazthomas

Established Member
All I can say is that you clearly have a very patient / understanding wife! Referring to my spouse as "the wife" would go down very badly. And presenting a rail tour as a suitable birthday present would be grounds for divorce! I can only assume that you met your wife at the end of a platform. Fair play :)

Far too patient!

Then again you haven't met the in-laws we'll be travelling with.

As for when we met, no, not on a platform - I've built up her resistance/tolerance up slowly :D:D:D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for info/replies, I am really looking forward to this trip, it's extra handy for me as it picks up at Staines which is only 4 miles away from where I live. I have been advised of a Wetherspoons not too far from Buxton Station which is useful too. :D

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Called the Wye Bridge House. Go left out of the station down hill until you see impressive viaduct carrying line to Dowlow, go under this and is across road at park entrance.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Called the Wye Bridge House. Go left out of the station down hill until you see impressive viaduct carrying line to Dowlow, go under this and is across road at park entrance.

Many thanks for this, I have also found another pub in the Greene King Chain nearby, maybe I will have to investigate them both. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I Have now received the tickets for this trip. Does anyone know if there is a website like steaminfo, that shows all the timings? I know these will be handed out on the train. I did look at Railtour website, but they don't have times.

VideozVideoz

The freight line to Buxton and Dowlow technically doesn't go through 'Peak Forest', it actually passes by an area called Smalldale which is part of the village of Peak Dale. The real village of Peak Forest is a good 3 miles or so away.

Is this charter going down to the Dowlow quarry? Last year I remember seeing a train actually going down to the quarry itself. Very rare

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The freight line to Buxton and Dowlow technically doesn't go through 'Peak Forest', it actually passes by an area called Smalldale which is part of the village of Peak Dale. The real village of Peak Forest is a good 3 miles or so away.

Is this charter going down to the Dowlow quarry? Last year I remember seeing a train actually going down to the quarry itself. Very rare

I am not sure, I did also wonder that, it would be good, but there was no mention of that in the tour brouchure info. I think it is unlikely. I will find out on the train on Saturday.

VideozVideoz

I am not sure, I did also wonder that, it would be good, but there was no mention of that in the tour brouchure info. I think it is unlikely. I will find out on the train on Saturday.

Just checked UKRailtours. Doesn't seem like its gonna go down the line to the quarry :(

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Looks like it's going the long way round from Leicester via Northwich to Buxton, and the short way back via Dore, so it'll be well past lunch by the time it gets to Buxton. Take your sarnies!

Mr Spock

Looks like it's going the long way round from Leicester via Northwich to Buxton, and the short way back via Dore, so it'll be well past lunch by the tiaves me it gets to Buxton. Take your sarnies!

According to times posted on WNXX it gets to Buxton at 13.58 and leaves at 16.50.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
According to times posted on WNXX it gets to Buxton at 13.58 and leaves at 16.50.

What is WNXX ? I would like to see the times of this train, (Similar to Steaminfo for steam train charters) The schedule is not shown on the railtour site yet.

Mr Spock

WNXX is another website that is easy to join, just type it in and you should be able to find it easy enough.

As for timings these will not appear on the railtour site as they only give the pick up/set down times.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
This trip yesterday went very well indeed, there was a little bit of late running in both directions but it arrived on time at Buxton and inspite of being around 15-20 minutes down around Action, it was almost back on time at Staines.

A very interesting route, covering alot of lines that I had not done before and I found 2 decent places to eat & drink in Buxton too.

gazthomas

Established Member
Well you'll pleased to learn that I survived. Mother-in-law had a great birthday, food good, Buxton pleasant and no arguments between the my wife and her sister! A bit of fizz (but not too much!) no doubt helped :D

theblackwatch

Established Member
Well you'll pleased to learn that I survived. Mother-in-law had a great birthday, food good, Buxton pleasant and no arguments between the my wife and her sister! A bit of fizz (but not too much!) no doubt helped :D

Did you do full First Class Dining on the tour?

gazthomas

Established Member
Did you do full First Class Dining on the tour?
We did:

Breakfast - croissants/bread followed by cereal/porridge then full english or kippers. Lashings of tea and coffee.

Late morning pastries and more tea and coffee.

No need for food in Buxton!

Dinner - soup or salmon, followed by roast lamb, warm key lime pie or croque monsieur, cheese then chocolates. And more tea or coffee.

We took a bottle of bubbly and a birthday cake on board and had during the morning too.

We should have a rail tour food review forum!

The Mark 1's are looking very tired now, though I wish we had been in the next carriage up, it had newish carpets and reupholstered seats. My mother in law was a little disappointed with our carriage!

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I waved, but no-one waved back! Too busy eating by the sound of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMGP5305.jpg
    IMGP5305.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 63

theblackwatch

Established Member
We did:

Breakfast - croissants/bread followed by cereal/porridge then full english or kippers. Lashings of tea and coffee.

Late morning pastries and more tea and coffee.

No need for food in Buxton!

Dinner - soup or salmon, followed by roast lamb, warm key lime pie or croque monsieur, cheese then chocolates. And more tea or coffee.

We took a bottle of bubbly and a birthday cake on board and had during the morning too.

We should have a rail tour food review forum!

The Mark 1's are looking very tired now, though I wish we had been in the next carriage up, it had newish carpets and reupholstered seats. My mother in law was a little disappointed with our carriage!

Sounds like the usual sort of UKR menu. I must admit I do find the 'after dinner savoury' vice a proper sweet option, in your case croque monsieur, very strange. It must be popular as it seems to be offered on all UKR trips. (When I did the Christmas outing last year, instead of Christmas Pudding you could have game terrine spread on toasted seeded bread.)

I'm surprised at what you thought of the Mk.1s - John Farrow normally uses the Royal Scot blood/custard rake which has been refurbished in the past 2-3 years and represents one of the best remaining Mk.1 rakes in service.

gazthomas

Established Member
I waved, but no-one waved back! Too busy eating by the sound of it.

attachment.php

Very funny, great photo too!
Sounds like the usual sort of UKR menu. I must admit I do find the 'after dinner savoury' vice a proper sweet option, in your case croque monsieur, very strange. It must be popular as it seems to be offered on all UKR trips. (When I did the Christmas outing last year, instead of Christmas Pudding you could have game terrine spread on toasted seeded bread.)

I'm surprised at what you thought of the Mk.1s - John Farrow normally uses the Royal Scot blood/custard rake which has been refurbished in the past 2-3 years and represents one of the best remaining Mk.1 rakes in service.

I agree with the croquet monsieur being very strange. The key lime pie's colour would have given Kermit the Frog or mushy peas a run for their money!

As for the stock, it was the Royal Scot rake. Our carriage though had older light purple almost lilac upholstery and a brownish carpet with black spots that looked dirty and was lifting from the floor in places. Seat arm rests were very worn. The next carriage along much better, new red upholstery and red carpet. Shame it is not uniform throughout.
I have uploaded a few photos from the day here:

http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/photographer/2421

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member

I guess these trains do get a lot of use, so maybe some coaches look rather "Tired" sometimes, although my coach was fine. That Royal Scot set normally is very good.

On the subject of charter train rakes, do Steam Dreams no longer use all of the "Green Train" rake that used to be owned I think by the Mid-Hants Railway, I think it's owned by West Coast now.? They seem to use several different rakes of stock at the moment.

There used to be another couple of charter train sets that I have not seen for ages, I guess they have been sold to other firms and or repainted, one was the "Pride of Britain" which had a green and cream livery, the other was often used by Kingfisher Tours and was Pullman/GWR Chocolate & Cream livery and the latter also had named carriages, such as Red/Green/Black Knights and others do do with the Legend of King Arthur.

Last edited:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Where is that pic? I thought it would be around Peak Dale but after checking the maps of the area it doesn't stack up... im intrigued!

Well I'm tempted to leave it as an "exercise for the reader", offering a prize for the first one with the right National Grid reference, but for those who are lazy or pressed for time, here's a bing/OS map link http://binged.it/MzYLD8
You might need walking boots or wellies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Far too patient!

Then again you haven't met the in-laws we'll be travelling with.

As for when we met, no, not on a platform - I've built up her resistance/tolerance up slowly :D:D:D

How long does it take? Nearly two years married and still no further forward to getting her onto a railtour (have done 2 preserved lines though) :lol:
WNXX is another website that is easy to join, just type it in and you should be able to find it easy enough.

As for timings these will not appear on the railtour site as they only give the pick up/set down times.

Just don't make a spelling mistake, you may find a completly different website! :oops:

gazthomas

Established Member
How long does it take? Nearly two years married and still no further forward to getting her onto a railtour (have done 2 preserved lines though) :lol:

Just don't make a spelling mistake, you may find a completly different website! :oops:

It took 7 years. It freaked me out after 5 years when she started calling 37's "snubbies"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.