• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chase Line - Diversion Route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Is the Chase Line from Birmingham through Cannock to Rugeley ever used for diversions anymore? I can remember years ago frequently seeing HST's on a weekend using the line. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WL113

The Cannock line is often used for freight diversions but passenger diverts are very rare. Almost unheard of now. I doubt if any VT or XC drivers sign it any more.

Eagle

Established Member
Couple of weekends back when there was a block between Wolverhampton and Penkridge, XC Manchester services went via a reversal at Nuneaton. So it would seem that no, it's not signed by them. (I forget what VT did.)

dangie

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Any idea why it's not used? It's not very busy, especially at the weekend, so fitting a few diversions into it wouldn't be difficult

WL113

At the weekend the Cannock line passenger services are half-hourly, with several FLHH services to and from Rugeley Power station. This may not sound much but the line is still at present signalled Absolute Block. This does mean that capacity is limited. There are only three signalboxes on the route as many were closed in the BR era.

The imminent resignalling project will increase capacity on this line.

WL113

No probs! The resignalling will certainly help with capacity, it will still be a shame to see the boxes go though.

Get your photos while you can...

Status
Not open for further replies.