• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chase Line electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The ridiculous Rugeley-Eustons start in May. God knows why that bit of bid team stupidity has been allowed to get into reality. Performance is only a priority if it doesn’t affect profits presumably and it’s the next bit of not giving a toss about anything south of Northampton as anything other than a cash cow.

pt_mad

Established Member
The ridiculous Rugeley-Eustons start in May. God knows why that bit of bid team stupidity has been allowed to get into reality. Performance is only a priority if it doesn’t affect profits presumably and it’s the next bit of not giving a toss about anything south of Northampton as anything other than a cash cow.

? Does it not give the advantage of providing Walsall a direct Euston as well?
Why do you think it's ridiculous?

Established Member
The
? Does it not give the advantage of providing Walsall a direct Euston as well?
Why do you think it's ridiculous?
The last thing an already fragile WCML needs is trains going up slow to up fast at Ledburn having had minimum dwell at New St and Northampton. Let’s not even mention they already have absolutely no concept of service recovery at the slightest issue, intweworking more West Mids locals with WCML just makes it even more likely to fall over and they’ll just be done for the day. HS2 platform reduction and a non-intwrworkable fleet to come too.

Very much doubt there is a huge market from Walsall on full price fares that’s going to accept taking best part of an hour longer to save one change at New St.

pt_mad

Established Member
I suppose it's a headline service which gives a decent sized town a direct London service, which given most similar sized towns a similar distance from London already have, seems fair enough?

Last edited:

Established Member
I suppose it's a headline service which gives a decent sized town a direct London service, which given most similar sized towns a similar distance from London already have, seems fair enough?
I’m sure that’ll go down really well when a cough at Wembley North means chaos between New St and Cannock and no service for hours. You know as well as I do they won’t ever bother to recover (see yesterday) !!

craigybagel

Established Member
Wouldn't be surprised to see electric trains on DMU timings operating at some point after December but before May 2019 on this route though.

May not be that easy to do. At present many of the services on the Cannock line are worked by Shrewsbury crews, none of whom sign EMUs at present, and with no plans announced yet on whether or not they'll get that training.

Class 170101

Established Member
May not be that easy to do. At present many of the services on the Cannock line are worked by Shrewsbury crews, none of whom sign EMUs at present, and with no plans announced yet on whether or not they'll get that training.

Very surprised that Shrewsbury don't sign EMUs however I think they will need that training. Fortunately most of the Shrewsbury services just run to / from New Street it seems so should be easy to turn to EMUs subject to driver training.

craigybagel

Established Member
Very surprised that Shrewsbury don't sign EMUs however I think they will need that training. Fortunately most of the Shrewsbury services just run to / from New Street it seems so should be easy to turn to EMUs subject to driver training.

Shrewsbury don't just work the through services, they work various services throughout the day that only run between Rugeley/Walsall and New Street.

geoffk

Established Member
Surely more useful running it north to Stafford to give more connections, rather than a through London service with the performance risk involved.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Surely more useful running it north to Stafford, or maybe Stoke and serving Wedgwood etc., rather than a through London service.

Too difficult to path through the 2 track section through Shugborough tunnel - which is a pity as I agree, I would have thought there's a bigger potential market for a direct service from the Cannock line to Stafford then there is for a very slow and circuitous route to London. But it can't be done, and presumably combining the London services with Birmingham suburban stuff both improves stock utilisation and cuts down on terminating trains eatting up the limited capacity at New Street.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Too difficult to path through the 2 track section through Shugborough tunnel - which is a pity as I agree, I would have thought there's a bigger potential market for a direct service from the Cannock line to Stafford then there is for a very slow and circuitous route to London. But it can't be done, and presumably combining the London services with Birmingham suburban stuff both improves stock utilisation and cuts down on terminating trains eatting up the limited capacity at New Street.

It is in the WM plan post HS2 reaching Crewe (with most fast trains by then off the TV/Stafford line).

Batman

Haven’t commented on her firva while, but I must say I’m disappointed with the new fencing that’s gone up on the platforms at Bloxwich and Landywood.

All the stations north of Walsall have needed redevelopment for years now and I thought the electrification and platform extension work would have provided a prime opportunity to do this. I’m surprised these old wooden platforms with wooden fencing meet modern station design standards.

They should have done something similar to what they’ve done with Livingston South and Breich stations as part of the Shotts line electrification project.

Ken H

On Moderation

Used to be a through morning Walsall -Euston EMU in the 1980's, but it didnt go via New St. it ran Perry bar-Stetchford. cant remember if there was a return working..

Batman

Used to be a through morning Walsall -Euston EMU in the 1980's, but it didnt go via New St. it ran Perry bar-Stetchford. cant remember if there was a return working..

About the same time that rail services in Walsall reached a low point. The Birmingham - Walsall service was cut to 1 tph at one point, about the time Walsall station was re-developed when the shopping centre was built above it.

Old Hill Bank

From the WMR website:-

"
The overhead power lines on the railway between Walsall and Rugeley Trent Valley are now live as work continues to introduce electric trains on the route.

Network Rail is electrifying the railway as part of its Railway Upgrade Plan to provide passengers with better, more reliable journeys.

Working with West Midlands Railway, electric trains will be introduced on the route from May 2019.

Now the lines have been switched on, residents in the area are being reminded to never trespass on the tracks as the overhead power lines – which carry 25,000v of electricity – pose an even greater risk to life and limb now they are live.

Network Rail has been raising awareness of railway safety among young people by visiting schools in the West Midlands and Staffordshire area as part of the upgrade and electrification of the railway.

During the visits, primary and secondary school age children learn about the dangers of trespassing on the railway and the new threat of the overhead line equipment and the devastating consequences of getting too close or coming into contact with them."

Link to full release:- https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co....way’-warning-walsall-rugeley-line-electrified

Meerkat

Established Member
Apologies if answer is back up the thread but why can’t electric trains (to the current timetable) start now?

Batman

Apparently the footbridge at Landywood station was not closed to the public until two weeks after the wires went live, even though the reason the bridge needs replacing is because it’s not suitable for an electrified railway.

The complaint from Great Wyrley Parish Council was focused on the point that Network Rail closed the bridge without holding a public consultation, not that public safety had been compromised.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Apparently the footbridge at Landywood station was not closed to the public until two weeks after the wires went live, even though the reason the bridge needs replacing is because it’s not suitable for an electrified railway.

The complaint from Great Wyrley Parish Council was focused on the point that Network Rail closed the bridge without holding a public consultation, not that public safety had been compromised.
Might be that the clearance to the wires themselves are fine and the sub-standard ones are to the pantograph horns, which would only be a problem when a electric train was run.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Are we sure it is turned on yet? or is it just to stop the cable fairies as they were nicking cable from the OLE itself?

Elecman

Established Member
Mentor has run on test over th3 line, so hopefull6 not too much longervfor ORR approval for fit to enter service

Ken H

On Moderation
Any news on this project? Any electric trains yet?

Edit - realtimetrains still has timings for sprinters, not EMU's

59CosG95

Established Member
The wires looked ready from the Trent Valley end when I passed the other week.
As @Elecman has stated above, MENTOR has been over the route, and the wires are now energised. AIUI, the electric timetable should commence in May 2019, but when the 350s/323s start working Chase Line trains (on diesel timings) before then is anyone's guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.