• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chasing Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I went for an interview for a railway job nearly three months ago. I turned up at the venue on time (about 10 minutes early). However, none of the staff from the TOC knew where within the venue my interview location was, let alone how to get me there (it was in a staff-only area). This meant I was about five minutes late into the interview room and didn't have time to freshen up. I was also a bit flustered and I explained the situation to the interviewers without trying to blame the company.

As I was exiting the interview, one of the interviewers said that I had given a "very nice interview". I also received an apology from someone at HR for the situation I found myself in, they'd phoned me after sending someone out to find me after I'd arrived in the interview, phone was turned off of course. This meant I was slightly surprised a couple of weeks later when I didn't get the role (one of many for a hold pool). I've asked for feedback, yet over two months after the outcome the interview notes haven't been sent to HR.

I'm worried that I've been marked down for being late/untidy (I'd worked up a sweat trying to find someone who knew how to get me to where I was supposed to be). I'd hope that HR would have communicated the facts of the situation to the interviewers, though I personally doubt it since things didn't appear organised. I personally think I have grounds for a re-marking/re-interview if that turns out to be the case. I'm aware that the deadline for a Subject Access Request is three months after the event and I'd be tempted to use one to get me interview notes, would I be seen as "trouble" if I did this (aware the railway is fairly close-knit)?

I would appreciate any advice on this one, I've withheld the TOC, location and role for anonymity since I'm aware this one is pretty unique.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dquebec

You're joking, right?!

Sending them a SAR to get your interview notes will put a big red flag above your head.

You just need to accept the decision and move on.

Nobody has grounds for a re-interview / reassessment - regardless of the circumstances. Their decision has been made, and jobs offered elsewhere!

Stigy

Established Member
You're joking, right?!

Sending them a SAR to get your interview notes will put a big red flag above your head.

You just need to accept the decision and move on.

Nobody has grounds for a re-interview / reassessment - regardless of the circumstances. Their decision has been made, and jobs offered elsewhere!
Although you have a point about a red flag, a candidate does however have the right to see their interview notes. I suggest persistence, although try and keep it on a local level?

Economist

Thanks for the replies thus far, thought an SAR might cause problems which was why I asked on here first. Even if the views supported this action it would really be a last-ditch thing.

I do believe that any company has a duty to treat applicants fairly and equally, I also believe that an applicant who has given up their day to attend an interview does have the right to receive timely and constructive feedback.

EssexGonzo

It's basic courtesy. If you took the time to try and help them to fill their vacancy, they should take the time to explain why you were given a negative response. I can't imagine why they would want to withhold such basic information from you.

What does it tell you about their approach to people?

LETHLFH

Getting feedback is important, however your chances of being reinterviewed or reconsidered for the post are slim at best. The post has most likely been filled considering the interview was nearly 3 months ago.
I would continue to try and get feedback but I think a SAR is a step to far, the hiring manager could have misplaced or unintentionally destroyed your interview notes and a SAR would be no benefit to you. As your interview notes have not reached HR in 3 months I don't think it is too farfetched to imagine they may never arrive.

Economist

What does it tell you about their approach to people?

Not good, especially since a few hours before the phone call inviting me to the interview I was standing next to the deathbed of a close relative.

The call came as something of a surprise, so I explained the situation, thought it over for a few minutes and still took the interview. I would never expect to be given a more favourable outcome at interview, would actually be pretty disappointed if they did give me one.

I would however that they'd show me a bit of respect for still accepting the interview by giving me timely and accurate feedback.

Did I mention that they also lost my initial application and it took many phone calls and much hoop-jumping before it was passed to the right people?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.