• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chasing yellows: when you wonder what the problem is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugby

Established Member
This evening I was at Doncaster waiting for the 1758 XC service to Reading. It was a couple of minutes late but nothing which wasn't recoverable. However, after departure it was slowed past Hexthorpe Sidings by signals at caution and these continued all the way down through Conisborough and Mexborough, then up to Swinton, still double yellows through Parkgate to Masborough. At last a green on Masborough curve but back to yellows through Meadowhall and Attercliffe Road.

About six minutes late into Sheffield but on departure the cautions continued, down through Dronfield towards Tapton and Chesterfield, two double yellows then a single yellow, the train was travelling at about 40-50 mph through Chesterfield station which it wasn't booked to stop at. Finally, south of Chesterfield, green signals at last and the first chance for any sustained fast running since leaving Doncaster.

If there was something in front, I presume it must have gone down the Erewash route but I couldn't help wondering what it could have been and why it couldn't have been put out of the way somewhere, such as the Millhouses Loop. The XC service was 10 mins. late arriving at Derby but it didn't really matter as I noted on RTT that it recovered later on it's journey.
It was a little irritating not knowing what was causing the delay for such a long distance though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Perhaps a late running freight - it's not just passengers that have to be on time you know!

Looping a heavy freight on a busy line can end up causing more delay minutes than letting it keep running - if there are a queue of trains behind it the time it takes to slow down to get into the loop, progress in and then progress out can be significant and sometimes it is the lesser evil to let it keep going rather than loop it - slow all the trains down even more whilst it gets looped, then cause more delays while it 'unloops'.

Mugby

Established Member
Thanks. The only thing which had left Don before the XC was a TPE service 20 mins. previously so that would have been well away.

Just out of interest, why wouldn't the freight be routed via the 'old road' between Masborough and Tapton?

Minilad

Established Member
The "freight" in question was 0L18 light locos 66552 66610 and 66620. Apparently started late due to late arrival of one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.