• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Chatsworth (USA) Collision Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Timer

Established Member
You will remember the collision between a suburban train and a UP freight train which took place on 12th Sep 2008 at Chatsworth, following which it was alleged that the Driver of the suburban train had been using his mobile phone immediately prior to the collision.

The full accident report has now been issued for anyone interested, and can be read from here.

Chatsworth Accident Report

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

I cut to the chase, and read the conclusion and recommendations. I wonder if their conclusion that video/audio recording equipment to monitor crew be made mandatory in cabs would ever be brought in over here?

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I noticed the differences between US and UK signalling, one of which could have been significant. The passenger train departed from a station was in a passing loop whose exit was showing a Red. However that signal wasn't visible from the station, and the preceeding cautionary signal was well before the station. i.e. There is no reminder on departng the station that the next signal is at danger.

Much is made in the report of the driver's use of his mobile phone while on duty. Its worrying that his eight or so calls made during that journey were to a young rail enthusuast who was going to be brought into the cab to drive a train later that day and again a couple of weeks later. Its not just the driver's use of the phone that is hazardous!
[Engineer to Person A ]: yea....but I’m REALLY looking forward to getting you in the cab and showing you how to run a locomotive.
[Person A to Engineer]: Omg dude me too. Running a locomotive. Having all of that in the palms of my hands. Its a great feeling. And ill do it so good from all my practice on the simulator.
[Engineer to person A]: I’m gonna do all the radio talkin’...ur gonna run the locomotive & I’m gonna tell u how to do it.

. . .

He [the engineer / driver] further planned to allow Person A and perhaps one or more other individuals to actually operate the train from Moorpark to the end of the line at Montalvo. This plan was only about 3 1/2 hours from fruition when the accident occurred.

He had already allowed his rail fan friends one “ride-along” earlier in the week, and he knew where, when, and how they could again board his train undetected on the evening of the accident.

Last edited:

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Thanks for the link.

I cut to the chase, and read the conclusion and recommendations. I wonder if their conclusion that video/audio recording equipment to monitor crew be made mandatory in cabs would ever be brought in over here?

Wouldn't like to see cctv in the cabs but they did make a big thing about this mobile phone thing...and so they should.I always turn my mobile phone off as stated in the rules.Shame some people ruin it for everyone else because their mobile phone is so important.Personally I can't stand the things.

MrC

I noticed the differences between US and UK signalling, one of which could have been significant. The passenger train departed from a station was in a passing loop whose exit was showing a Red. However that signal wasn't visible from the station, and the preceeding cautionary signal was well before the station. i.e. There is no reminder on departng the station that the next signal is at danger.

TBH that sort of scenario can be found in many places in the UK and is one of the reasons for the introduction of the DRA.

Yank 119

Ideally, there should be an "exit" signal at every station. But the way this piece of railway was constructed, the passing siding (loop) was divided into two blocks separated by one set of intermediate signals. Southbound trains stopping at the station are able to see this signal, northbound trains will have just passed it prior to stopping at the station. After the deadly collision in Silver Spring, Maryland, in 1996 (same circumstances), a new "delay in block" rule was instituted, requiring the driver to acknowledge the previous signal indication when departing a station not in sight of the next signal. The Metrolink driver in this case did not follow this rule. It's all really a moot point now, as the Positive Train Control system will nullify the rule.

Much is made in the report of the driver's use of his mobile phone while on duty. Its worrying that his eight or so calls made during that journey were to a young rail enthusuast who was going to be brought into the cab to drive a train later that day and again a couple of weeks later. Its not just the driver's use of the phone that is hazardous!

Most all rail employees I know ignore the no-mobile rule while on duty. Seeing how most trains that operate in the US are freight trains with two people in the cab, it doesn't make much sense. But, in the case of single-driver passenger trains, the rule makes sense, at least until the aforementioned PTC comes into widespread use.

Silver Spring Incident

Positive Train Control

daikilo

Established Member
Wouldn't like to see cctv in the cabs but they did make a big thing about this mobile phone thing...and so they should.I always turn my mobile phone off as stated in the rules.Shame some people ruin it for everyone else because their mobile phone is so important.Personally I can't stand the things.

Accepting that the engineer was anyway forbidden from such practice, what I find interesting is that he chose to use text messaging, which by definition occupied his eyes. Had they been voice calls he may have been visually more attentive to the signal aspect and the position of the switch, which are the hard cues, but having a phone to his ear (or a headset) would have been more visible.

Also, the report comments that he appeared to have performed the actions normally required should he have been under green signals which suggest he had switched from a dynamic to an "automatic" mode and erased the latest inputs on signal aspect.

This should be a warning to all. Mobile phones distract more than many people think. They are not like the passenger talking to the driver of a car or a bus, they are personal and take control of your internal processes.

A possible solution could be to install a transmission blocker in all cabs but this would probably also prevent bona-fidae business calls even from the cab door.

Status
Not open for further replies.