• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheap tickets from KX to Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Hi everyone.

To be honest... I really get fed up with all those companys having their own so called "Cheap tickets". Southern daytickets can only be bought online and at least 7 days in advance. In other words.. "How do I cick peaple out of my trains, and make my product as difficult as possible".

Anyway... Is tere a cheap ticket from London Kings Cross to Peterborough (FCC or GNER). I would like to visit the Nene Valley Railway March Diesel Gala. I don't want to book a specified train. Just travel when I want to.

I would be pleased if anyone could help me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
Travelling before 09:00, a Standard Open Single on FCC is £19.30, GNER £32.50.
Travelling off-peak, a Cheap Day Single on FCC is £18.10, GNER £22.30.
All without railcards/other discounts.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just go to the ticket office at Kings Cross and ask for 4 Cheap Day Returns to Peterborough with GroupSave (I'm not sure of the route - It might be something like Great Northern or First Capital Connect, but it's NOT the ANY PERMITTED).

The ticket type on the tickets should be GPS-4 and the total price should be £36.20.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Going on WAGN is probably going to be better anyway, since you're much more likely to get a seat. GNER trains tend to be very busy all the time, wheras like with all suburban TOCs, WAGN tend to be very quiet off peak. I remember one trip on a saturday when I caught a WAGN from Peterborough to London and the train was almost empty the entire way, then caught a GNER back later on and decided to upgrade to weekend first since otherwise I would have stood (actually, even on a short journey it was well worth it due to extra comfort, better ambience and at seat service {free tea, coffee and biscuits}, and I think it was only £5 anyway). Oviously, GNER is slightly faster, but IMHO the better quality of the trains is mostly cancelled out if you can't get a seat, and the 365s common on the Peterborough runs are pretty nice anyway, and even the 317s arn't bad, and IMHO blow away the later Mk3 based designs, if nothing more than on the use of BT10 bogies, like the Mk3 coaches, rarther than the basic, lightweight, Sprinter bogies on the later types.

T

Tom

Some WAGN services can take up to 10 minutes longer than GNER if you plan your times correctly!

Status
Not open for further replies.