• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheaper way to travel between Edinburgh and Oxford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywy1234

Hi,

I travel a lot between Edinburgh and Oxford, on average, 2 returns per month.

I am wondering what is the cheapest split strategy to travel in the following scenarios with a 16-25 card:

1) Flexible fare

The cheapest way I knew so far is a Edinburgh-London Terminals Super Off Peak Return or Single (using EC's 1/2 price offer), I break the journey and/or start short at Oxford.

2. Advance fare normally bought up to 3 days before travel

I found XC/VT trains split at Birmingham/Wolverhampton (and sometimes at Leamington Spa if no advance ticket between OXF and BHM) or Edinburgh->Oxford via London by EastCoast) this is usually more expensive than 1)

Before 2011, there were XC advance EDB-BHM ticket for about a tenner with a 16-25 railcard available even 1 day before travel, which was a great deal, but sadly they didn't exist any more :(

I think travelling on a slower route (up to ~7 hours) is acceptable for me.

Thank you very much!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
You could look into Transpennine Express advances between Edinburgh and Manchester. These are sometimes quite cheap and you get an extra discount with a 16-25 railcard if booking on the TPE site. And then CrossCountry advances for Manchester to Oxford (perhaps splitting at places like Wolverhampton, Coventry/Leamington Spa and Banbury).

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
The cheapest way I knew so far is a Edinburgh-London Terminals Super Off Peak Return or Single (using EC's 1/2 price offer), I break the journey and/or start short at Oxford.

What's EC's half-price offer? It's not documented in the special offers thread.

calc7

Established Member
What's EC's half-price offer? It's not documented in the special offers thread.

Super Off-Peak Singles on some flows (typically London and the North) are half-price if purchased by 23:59 the day before travel.

Typically these are the only option by this time anyway as decently priced Advances are thin on the ground on the Kings Cross - York - Newcastle - Edinburgh route.

General Zod

Usually good deals from Virgin on the Birmingham to Preston/Manchester stretch and as Indigo said TPE from Manchester/Preston - Edinburgh.
You can pick up cheap OXF-Preston Virgin advances ( £15.85 YP 16-25 Discount) but the probability may be low if you book with only 3 days advance notice

Last edited:

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Super Off-Peak Singles on some flows (typically London and the North) are half-price if purchased by 23:59 the day before travel.

Ah - but not returns - that explains it as I was looking at returns. Straight walk-up splits on this route would not be as cheap as the short travel ticket suggested by the OP. Even using the most obscure over distance splits and routes I struggle to get more than a couple of quid saving.

The Scotland to London Super Off Peak tickets seem to me to be pretty good value, looking at other flows of a similar length.

Status
Not open for further replies.