• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest airfares to Manila, Philippines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Having travelled the route many times for business I want to go again at my own expense for an extended holiday. I do not know if any forum members are good at spotting cheap airfares. I would like to go ASAP really for so a 3 to 6 months. I heard that Air China offer cheap fares in the £300 range.

Any advise?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

flymo

Established Member
Philippine Airlines operate direct from Heathrow to Manila, albeit not daily, using a B777. Fares are not bad but there are other options with other airlines via Dubai or Abu Dhabi as there are a huge number of Filipinos and Filipinas working in the UAE. As mentioned upthread Skyscanner will give you a very good taste of prices etc.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks, I'll take a look at Skyscanner.

I am looking at leaving as soon as possible i.e. the end of this month or very start of next month. I can fly out of any UK airport. Manchester would be easiest but I am also happy to fly from any of the London airports if this opens up a lower air. I really want to get a low price on this one.

I have always found the Philippines Airlines flight to be super expensive compared to the other options which is a real shame as I would have though they would be trying fill that B777.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
For long-haul I usually start with netflights, but you can sometimes get better deals direct with airlines.
You could try Cathay Pacific with a flight from Manchester via Hong Kong, or maybe KLM via Amsterdam.
I've never forgotten my one trip to Manila where it seemed they had spent their entire energy budget on the Christmas lights!

atillathehunn

Established Member
I'm finding returns from Manchester to Manila early next month to random date in March for £464 return. Cathay Pacific

Zerothebrake!

Flew LHR- MNL with KLM in one of their 10 seats across Boeing 777.300s back in September for £321 booked through Travel Trolley/Skyscanner and the flight had a one hour stop in Taipei both ways.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Is it safe at the moment? Im sure Australia has advised all Aussies in Australia not to visit at the moment due to Islamic State in the South potentially targeting Manilla? i'm sure the threat level is the highest possible for westerners

Read the FCO website first. It says certain parts of certain islands are off limits. Terror attacks have recently happened in Brussels, London and Manchester. I have travelled to all and been fine. I'm writing to you from an area of the world marked red on the FCO website and I'm absolutely fine.

Have a great time in the country. Many tourists are there right now having a great time, including friends of mine.

Jordeh

Is it safe at the moment? Im sure Australia has advised all Aussies in Australia not to visit at the moment due to Islamic State in the South potentially targeting Manilla? i'm sure the threat level is the highest possible for westerners
Not at all - it is just islands at the south of the country which have been unsafe for decades that are affected. Any islands that tourists want to travel are safe.

I flew with Turkish Airlines from Gatwick last year with just a short stopover in Istanbul and it cost around £450 I think, really good service too.

ian959

Australia advises people to avoid Mindanao due to possible terrorist activity, including random kidnapping of tourists. There are many different terrorist factions down there even though the Maute group (ISIS) have now been mostly neutralised. The rest of the Philippines is as safe as anywhere nowadays as long as you are sensible. I regularly go there since I have a Filipino wife and the only place I feel unsafe is in Manila itself, but that is one big city and in any city that size, crime is rife. I feel just as unsafe in New York...

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks again for your advise guys. Sorry its taken me ages to respond to this thread.

If anyone knows how any deals going at the moment please post as I'm wanting to do another trip this month or the start of March :)

atillathehunn

Established Member
Flights start from about £417 return with Saudia. 7 hour layover on the way out which in Jeddah airport might be a bit of a trial.

Else, Qatar and Oman Air both have £500 return.

All of the above is from Manchester.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks.

Was looking for something in the £300 to £400 price range (I know that they come up) due to how regularly I have to make this journey. I shall look into flights out of Heathrow as this may prove cheaper.

parkender102

A guy from work went last year and paid £275 Return with Air China from Heathrow - although he had to endure a few hours stopover in Beijing. Currently £357 Return in March with China Southern with stopover in Guangzhou. I use Momondo website as it tells you cheapest days to fly and Flight Insight at top right of the screen showing prices tells you cheapest time before flying to book and lots of other useful info for getting the price down. You can also tailor the maximum number of changes and flight times with the sidebar and deselect Airlines you don't want to use.

Last edited:

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks - the £275 promo last year was great for trips of under 30 days. I shall check out Momondo and look for those China Southern fares :) Thanks!

Requeststop

Thanks, I'll take a look at Skyscanner.

I am looking at leaving as soon as possible i.e. the end of this month or very start of next month. I can fly out of any UK airport. Manchester would be easiest but I am also happy to fly from any of the London airports if this opens up a lower air. I really want to get a low price on this one.

I have always found the Philippines Airlines flight to be super expensive compared to the other options which is a real shame as I would have though they would be trying fill that B777.

Cor! Philippines Airlines the most expensive! Try flying Port Moresby to Manila. You get two options, Philippines or Air Niugini. The latter is the more expensive, though more reliable. Manila is an airport I avoid like the plague. It's bloody awful.

Right! To the point. The fastest route to Manila from Manchester is on Cathay Pacific via Hong Kong.
Middle East Airline companies give good connections. Look at Oman Air, Qatar Airways (They fly to both Manila and Clarke, a much smaller and efficient airport just to the north of Manila.) Emirates via Dubai. Then look at multi stage: Helsinki-Hong Kong, Amsterdam-Hong Kong, Frankfurt-Hong Kong, Copenhagen-Bangkok. The flights may be longer but could well be cheaper.

Happy Flying.

gray1404

Established Member
Thanks - I shall take a look tonight. I'm looking at going around the 16 March now returning a month later (flexible with dates though) so hopefully I'll have some luck.

Aditi

There are many airlines flying from London to Manila. Airlines like China Eastern, Air China, XiamenAir, Swiss etc are the cheap flight option. Cheapest fares for flight to Manila starting from £347 only.

Alfonso

I think gray 1404 has probably been and gone by now, since the post is a couple.of years old, bit seeing as long haul air passenger duty is quite high, and this is a train geeks site, taking the train to Paris, Brussels, and probably best Amsterdam plus a long haul flight is well worth a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.