Cheapest ever flight seen in Europe?

Discussion in 'Other Public Transport' started by Craig2601, 8 Oct 2018.

1. joncombe

joncombe Member

Just seen Inverness to Luton for £4.18 on Easyjet. The flight the next day was £5.19, so they seem to have some very cheap fares on this route at the moment. A long time since I've seen a flight for less than £5 (or for that matter any that have a pence component that is not either zero or 99).

2. rg177

rg177 Established Member

EasyJet seem to be into very random prices. I've flown Manchester-Schönefeld for £31.68 and have booked Manchester-Basel for £43.48

3. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

EasyJet seem to price according to how much competition there is and what competitors charge. Monarch also used to do similar - I recall how their Manchester to Gibraltar route was enhanced and prices dropped as EasyJet started to Liverpool to Gibraltar flights but then when EasyJet dropped Liverpool to Gibraltar, Monarch's Manchester to Gibraltar frequency and prices went back to their old levels.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Member

Blimey, I'd be tempted to do that a few times just for the Avios points!

5. Craig2601

Craig2601 Member

What’s with BA charging £9 for flights from LUX to LHR? Just checked and it seems to be nearly every flight.

6. ChiefPlanner

ChiefPlanner Established Member

One euro Charleroi to Stansted - circa 2007

Mind you , ever been to the departure place ?

7. DavidGrain

DavidGrain Member

I long time ago but in December 1976 I did Birmingham-Heathrow by British Midland for 25p eachway. I presume that my onward ticket on SAS to Copenhagen might have had a bearing on this.

8. grid56126

grid56126 Member

Ryanair. .

I did a number of Stansted to Prestwick moves for 50 pence all in "just for a laugh"

I got a return from Stansted to Copenhagen for 2 pence pre tax etc in 2001, but of course that was when Copenhagen was apparently relocated to a a disused air base in deepest Sweden. All good as I needed the track.

My best value for the family was in 2002 when we flew Stansted to Dusseldorf for 8 pence all in, 2 adults and 2 kids. Of course Dusseldorf was actually another air base in the middle of nowhere, actually near Weeze, again all good for new track.

We were actually staying in Belgium for a week, so the cost of an extra hotel in Aachen en route to the land of beer and waffles effectively took the cost we would have paid on Eurostar and to be honest was pretty much done for a laugh, because we could.

We came back on Eurostar as flights back to the UK from everywhere were ridiculous, but that's how Ryanair made the loss leading tickets pay. I always came back from Glasgow by train for that reason.

9. LordCreed

LordCreed Member

If I was to guess, I imagine that Luxembourg has low taxes on departures.

Another cheap BA flight I found was Malaga to Gatwick for £18. Quite a good bargain for the distance.