• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest fare challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning Gents.

Good Friday, I'm leaving my home in North Wakefield to go to the football in High Wycombe (3pm kick off). I want to set of nice and early, 7-8am so I can get to London and take a bit of a tour of the stations, it's been a while.

I need to be in Wycombe 2pm and will be back at the station for about 17:45.

What's the most inexpensive way you can find to do this, might be nice to come home not via London?

Any help much appreciated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ok.... Did a bit of research myself and I reckon this might be a decent/economical plan...

0742 Kirkgate to KGX 1016 £29 (think this is Grand Central, will this be HST?)

1016 to 1337 Travelcard Zone 1-4 £7.70 (will this let me get the train to Stratford and back?)

1337 Marlybone to High Wycombe return £16.50
1749 High Wycome to Marlybone 1814

1955 Lon St Pan to Wakefield 2246 (2hrs 51 min but only £21, will this be HST?)

£74.20 total

There's a 1930 from St Pancras that is direct but takes 4 hours to reach Wakey!!! Is this a 142?!!?!?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ok.... Did a bit of research myself and I reckon this might be a decent/economical plan...

0742 Kirkgate to KGX 1016 £29 (think this is Grand Central, will this be HST?)

1016 to 1337 Travelcard Zone 1-4 £7.70 (will this let me get the train to Stratford and back?)

1337 Marlybone to High Wycombe return £16.50
1749 High Wycome to Marlybone 1814

1955 Lon St Pan to Wakefield 2246 (2hrs 51 min but only £21, will this be HST?)

£74.20 total

There's a 1930 from St Pancras that is direct but takes 4 hours to reach Wakey!!! Is this a 142?!!?!?

The 0742 will be a Class 180.

That ticket will let you get to Stratford and back, but NOT on High Speed from St Pancras, only via LUL / DLR, or NR from Liverpool St.

I can't see a 1930 STP-LDS...

Last edited:
I didn't think 222's ever made it to Leeds, guess I was wrong.

3 hours in London, do you reckon I've time to get south of the river as well or just stick to Stratford?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I didn't think 222's ever made it to Leeds, guess I was wrong.

3 hours in London, do you reckon I've time to get south of the river as well or just stick to Stratford?

The 1955's a HST, just checked :)

Depends what you want to do in Stratford; it's quite big nowadays.

Crossover

Established Member
The EMT's to Leeds are, as far as I know, all HST's, as they then go off for maintenance at Neville Hill overnight and form the earlies off Leeds back towards London the morning after.

They really are very slow compared to the ECML. You may actually get better fares and quicker routes on EC, unless you wish to do the MML for a change :)

Purely done for a financial viewpoint, I'm in no hurry at all but can seem to get returns from London much cheaper on the MML. I'll be in London at about half 6, that's the cheapest option back I've found, all seem to be 38.50 on EC.

Thinking of trying to nip to Stratford and back, then over to Paddington to Acton and back, maybe up to Willesden and back. All the places I used to go as a kid many moons ago.

Established Member
EMT HSTs are normally on the Nottingham - St. P route, but there is at least one in the early morning and one late at night which go to Leeds, as Crossover says, to get to Neville Hill.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I can't see a 1930 STP-LDS...

It can be quite hard to get it to come up on some sites as it is overtaken by the 1955. It can have some very good advance fares.

The 1930 goes via Nottingham before reversing and takes over 4 hours to get to Leeds.

General Zod

Insted of buying a London Zones 1-4 Travelcard buy a Zones 1-6 card (£8.50) instead. Then from Marylebone buy a Boundary Zone 6 to High Wycombe return. The BZ6 return can be used in conjunction with your Zones 1-6 Travelcard and will cost approx £6.50 cheaper than a Marylebone-High Wycombe cheap day return. Perhaps someone can correct me on this but if you have a BZ6 ticket you can travel on a train that does not necessarily stop at the last station within the Travelcard zone, which in this case is West Ruislip.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Perhaps someone can correct me on this but if you have a BZ6 ticket you can travel on a train that does not necessarily stop at the last station within the Travelcard zone, which in this case is West Ruislip.

That is correct. Boundary Zone tickets are extensions to an existing ticket, and there is no such thing as a Boundary Zone station. The train does not need to stop intermediately when a passenger is using a combination of a travelcard and a Boundary Zone extension.

Boundary Zone 6 - High Wycombe
Route Any Permitted
Anytime Day Return
£9.90

When used in combination with a London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard, it is cheaper than a combination of a Zones 1-4 Off-Peak Day Travelcard and a Boundary Zone 4 - High Wycombe ticket.

General Zod

Thanks bb21. It looks as if a BZ6-High Wycombe return is £0.10 more expensive than a West Ruislip - High Wycombe day return. Never mind, you can't win them all :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Thanks bb21. It looks as if a BZ6-High Wycombe return is £0.10 more expensive than a West Ruislip - High Wycombe day return. Never mind, you can't win them all :D

They are the same price. The fare I quoted is the SDR, whereas there is also a GPR fare also named Anytime Day Return priced at 10p cheaper.

I don't really know what a GPR fare is so just quoted the SDR fare.

cjp

Purely done for a financial viewpoint, I'm in no hurry at all but can seem to get returns from London much cheaper on the MML. I'll be in London at about half 6, that's the cheapest option back I've found, all seem to be 38.50 on EC.

Thinking of trying to nip to Stratford and back, then over to Paddington to Acton and back, maybe up to Willesden and back. All the places I used to go as a kid many moons ago.

Chiltern are hot on inspections and penalty fares so make sure you have your West Ruislip - Wycombe ticket before you get on the train at Marylebone otherwise a £20 penalty if you try to buy it at Wycombe ticket gates will eat into your saving in a serious way.

andrew bell

CumbrianSausag you are aware how far Adams Park is from High Wycombe station? if you want to be guaranteed to be back at the station for 1749 I would suggest ordering a taxi from the hourglass pub (15 mins walk from stadium) for about 1715 as I can't remember if there is a bus from the ground to the station (I'm going by train on Friday myself but I usually get a lift or bus from Hemel Hempstead)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Good point - the ground is 2.24 miles from High Wycombe station. That's about a 45-50 minute walk if it's clear.

CumbrianSausag you are aware how far Adams Park is from High Wycombe station? if you want to be guaranteed to be back at the station for 1749 I would suggest ordering a taxi from the hourglass pub (15 mins walk from stadium) for about 1715 as I can't remember if there is a bus from the ground to the station (I'm going by train on Friday myself but I usually get a lift or bus from Hemel Hempstead)

I'll just get a jog on. Will have to factor in 5minutes celebrating an away win as well;)

There are buses from the station allegedly but I'll stroll there and jog back.

Status
Not open for further replies.