• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest fares from Berlin to Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

battersea

Where can I find the cheapest fares for 2 youths (25 years old) and 2 adults from Berlin to Prague? I would prefer the 8:45 train that arrives in Prague at around 13:30, 2nd class.

I've gone to RailEurope.co.uk but I'm wondering if there is a cheaper option.

I also tried bahn.de but when I try to buy the tickets, the region is greyed out. cd.cz doesn't seem to allow tickets to be bought online.

Any tips?

Thanks very much for your help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
with bahn.de, you need to purchase 2 days in advance online to get any fare and 3 days in advance to get Europa-Spezial Tschechien. There does not appear to be any discount option for the 25 year olds, this may be because such discounts are only available at stations.

stuartmoss

I've booked Berlin - Dresden and Dresden - Prague before through Bahn.de about two months in advance and it worked fine, It was around 60 Euros for the whole journey I think.

I would very much recommend a night in Dresden en-route (midway point), it's a fantastic city.

battersea

Thanks for the explanation.

I was able to buy the tickets on bahn.de. I didn't see that I had to fill in our ages.

RailEurope.co.uk quoted me £272 for 2 adults and 2 youths (it's the only site I've seen that has the "youth" option).

I was able to buy Europe-Spezial tickets on bahn.de for £136!

RailEurope must make a killing ripping people off. Even the flexible ticket on bahn.de was significantly cheaper.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
In many cases RailEurope can only sell special rates released by railway companies for international sale - it often does not have access to the full fares database. Even when this is not the case, RailEurope is usually more expensive than any other supplier because of the bad exchange rate (i. e. the prices in GBP being higher than those in EUR converted) and the booking fee.

I don't think any Youth discount is available on the tickets you booked.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I would very much recommend a night in Dresden en-route (midway point), it's a fantastic city.

If you stay at the Intercity Hotel (across the road from the station) you get a free 24-hour local transport ticket.
Having visited the place 30 years ago and again last month I can confirm it is a brilliant place/area.
(even overtook a paddle steamer on the Elbe en route Prague-Dresden).

WestCoast

Established Member
Dresden is definitely underrated as a city to visit among foreign tourists, it's always been a popular city for domestic tourists to visit and has become more popular among tourists from the Far East in recent years.

The great thing about DB's Sparpreis (that covers Europa-Spezial) is that you can make a stopover along the way of up to 48 hours without being charged a cent extra. You just enter it into the booking engine and it's a great way to save money as you can effectively visit more places for the same price of travel!

As for Rail Europe, avoid is the only word that comes to mind. Book with the (national) operator direct if at all possible.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
Dresden is definitely underrated as a city to visit among foreign tourists, it's always been a popular city for domestic tourists to visit and has become more popular among tourists from the Far East in recent years.

The great thing about DB's Sparpreis (that covers Europa-Spezial) is that you can make a stopover along the way of up to 48 hours without being charged a cent extra. You just enter it into the booking engine and it's a great way to save money as you can effectively visit more places for the same price of travel!

As for Rail Europe, avoid is the only word that comes to mind. Book with the (national) operator direct if at all possible.

The only instance I am aware of where RailEurope is cheaper than a national operator is Koeln Hauptbahhnhof - Kobenhavn / Copenhagen H by City Night Line (certain tickets) for non BahnCard holders.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Another recomendation for Dresden - get the feeling it doesnt get that much tourist trade , (but apart from the events of Feb 1945 - much of which has been superbly restored), it has much to offer in many respects. 2 steam ng lines , paddle steamers , an interesting tram network which carries freight.

Pubs that serve organic local beer.......

D6700

Whilst acknowledging that Battersea has already purchased the required tickets, I will just add the following information, as it may be of use to others.

I travelled from Berlin to Prague the week before last using a train-specific advance purchase ticket bought from the DB site. It cost about £31.

I returned north last Monday, but purchased that ticket from the CD website, as the price was around £24 for the same type of ticket. Unfortunately, the CD site can only sell tickets originating from the Czech Republic.

Tickets from both sites were purchased using a standard British Visa debit card - which was required to be shown along with the DB home-printed ticket. My passport was the required ID for the CD ticket.

Trains run every couple of hours and the journey takes about four and three quarter hours, with plenty of slack. The journey between Berlin and Dresden is quite dull and feels like a stagger, but south of Dresden the line is lovely and feels quicker. Try to sit on the left hand side leaving Berlin for the best views of the river valley south of Dresden.

The trains are hauled by DB Class 101 loco's between Berlin and Dresden and CD Class 371 loco's south thereof. Air-conditioned CD second class compartments on the route tend to have six wide reclining seats, curtains, adjustable temperature, lighting and PA volume, along with power sockets, which are hidden behind the curtains. However, I think the 08:45 from Berlin uses Austrian stock and cannot advise on the features found on the train.

WestCoast

Established Member
The 08.45 service departing Berlin (EC 173) does indeed use air-conditioned Austrian (ÖBB) coaches and the interiors actually feel slightly more modern than their Czech counterparts. The main difference is that it's mostly open seating as opposed to compartments on these trains (although there is usually 2 coaches of 2nd class compartments, with the rest being open).

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
If is CZD stock - do use the diner , absolute superb service of the highest order and very good value for money (we had breakfasted , and wished we hadn't when we saw the offer and the prices - coffee service comes with a tray of monogrammed pots , china etc)

OBB stock is generally very comfortable ....

Status
Not open for further replies.