• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest option for a Caledonian Sleeper single berth

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
Although I am unlikely to travel on the Caledonian Sleeper in the near future, I would nonetheless like to know what ticket options are available.

I can't stand the idea of sharing a berth with someone I don't know, so what is the cheapest possible option for a single berth? From London to Fort William, for example?

Would it be possible to purchase a "bargain berth," and then purchase a "solo supplement" on top? Would I run the risk of not being able to purchase the "solo supplement" because of limited availability, and so be left with a worthless (from my perspective) "bargain berth?"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
I hear that purchasing your berth between two stops that are unlikely to be used for an end-to-end journey (Watford Junction - the station before Fort William, say) increases one's chances of being allocated a birth to oneself.

34D

Established Member
Probably the cheapest way could be two of the lowest tier std advance tickets?

Yew

Established Member
Two bargain berths could be a good idea. If you get the £25 ones, I think two of them is cheaper than A single BB and a solo supplement. Or you can do what I do and drag a friend along. Its suprising how many people are interested when you mention the sleeper and explain what it is :)

bnm

Established Member
Two 'Bargain Berths' purchases and what would effectively be one 'no show' means ScotRail could resell the unclaimed 2nd berth at the platform side. Hardly worth the risk of paying for two BBs when you still might end up sharing!

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Two 'Bargain Berths' purchases and what would effectively be one 'no show' means ScotRail could resell the unclaimed 2nd berth at the platform side. Hardly worth the risk of paying for two BBs when you still might end up sharing!

I suppose its a lower risk in the middle of winter going to an obscure destination, than in the middle of summer to edinburgh though

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Buy two Bargain Berth tickets and take a cello with you. Tell them that it's an antique and too valuable to leave unattended in the guard's van but it's OK because you've bought a ticket for it sleep on the bottom bunk!

Last edited:

Lee_Again

So the cheapest way to get a single berth is to buy 2 bargain berths. But given the Scotrail can sell them based on a 'no-show' what is the best technique to ensure solo occupancy?

My idea would be to get a 'friend' to check in with you and then let them go before departure.

What other ideas are out there?

sonic2009

Established Member
I would personally just pay for the solo supplement, you do not know how much you are likely to pay for a bargain berth.

wintonian

Established Member
So the cheapest way to get a single berth is to buy 2 bargain berths. But given the Scotrail can sell them based on a 'no-show' what is the best technique to ensure solo occupancy?

My idea would be to get a 'friend' to check in with you and then let them go before departure.

What other ideas are out there?

If they check in and then leave before departure isn't that stopping short on an advance ticket?

John @ home

Established Member
isn't that stopping short on an advance ticket?
Whether failing to travel at all contravenes Advance ticket terms & conditions is an interesting question!

But a Bargain Berth is not an Advance ticket.
Bargain Berths - Terms and Conditions

Bargain Berth tickets are for end to end journeys only and as such boarding and alighting at intermediate stations (e.g. Watford Junction) is not permitted.
Please note that changes or refunds are not permitted after your booking has been confirmed.
Customers must travel on their booked service(s).
Travel on any other service (s) will result in you having to purchase a new ticket appropriate for the journey being made.
Tickets are subject to availability and must be booked no later than 12 o'clock midday on the day of travel. Disabled requests must however be made no later than 48 hrs in advance.
These tickets are only valid for travel on ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper services.
These tickets cannot be used in conjunction with any other special offers or discounts including the use of railcards. There are no further child reductions.
Tickets are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage.
ScotRail reserves the right to change / withdraw any offer at any time.
Travel is in twin berth Standard accommodation except for wheelchair customers who can travel in specially adapted berth accommodation.
Customers travelling alone should note that they may have to share with someone of the same sex.
Customers accompanying a wheelchair user in the disabled berth accommodation can travel free of charge.

http://www.travelpass.buytickets.scotrail.co.uk/BargainBerths/TermsAndConditions.aspx
Checking in and failing to travel would appear to contravene "Customers must travel on their booked service(s)."!

34D

Established Member

Surely your 'friend' could be in the toilet, or in the lounge car, or is asleep hiding under the covers, or you could maybe tell the attendant that your friend got friendly with a lady passenger in the next SLEP and will be back with you upon departure?

Or travel on the FGW Night Riviera where there is no sharing.

Established Member
Stick the pillows under the sheets on one of the beds and say that they needed an early night?

38Cto15E

I am thinking of taking the Caledonian sleeper from London to Fort William in June, it is scheduled to arrive at 0954.
Then I was going to get the Jacobite to Mallaig dep 1015, a 20 minute changeover time.
Buying a single ticket for the Jacobite is £27 but there must be a chance of missing the steam train, and that money would probably be lost, or a big part of it.
Also on arrival at mallaig was looking to go to The Kyle but I notice the ferry arrives at Skye at 1415 but a bus leaves at 1410.
Any board members done this trip and can provide any tips?
TIA

All Line Rover

Established Member
I would personally just pay for the solo supplement, you do not know how much you are likely to pay for a bargain berth.

If I chose this option, what ticket would I have to buy, and how much would the solo supplement cost?

wintonian

Established Member
You would buy any valid normal walk up fare.

Solo is about £50/60 now I think.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

EltonRoad

If travelling from London to Fort William, your options are:

Off peak return £145.50 (single £144.50) + £57.20 solo supplement each direction, or

1st Sleeper Single £158.50, increases to the upper tier £214.50 when the lower tier has sold out. This fare also includes a tube journey and use of showers at each end, as well as a hot breakfast which they'll set a place for you in the lounge car if you want.

If travelling to Fort William, there seems to be one solo supplement available on each train, so it can sell out quickly. Likewise, 1st Class can sell out quickly as well, as I have found on two occasions within the last month, both times on Thursday nights.

The ScotRail booking engine gives you the full range of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.