• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest route between Birmingham and Durham

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Chaps,

I was hoping for some help; I'm wish to travel between Birmingham/Selly Oak and Durham on 11th November, and a return on either 13th or 14th. I would need to leave after 2pm on the Friday and return before 11am on the Monday, and Sunday has no time restrictions.

I have a Young Persons Railcard, and I would like to pay as little as possible!

Thank you in advance

AH

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Your best chance will be to see if there are any Advance fares left. However given that you are wishing to travel at a very busy time, my feeling is that you have left it too late.

There might be worthwhile splits at stations along the way, however your train must call at these stations where your tickets change over.

mikeg

Established Member
For coming back the Monday morning...

Selly Oak - Derby SOR: £19.45
Derby - Sheffield SOR £20.15
Sheffield - Durham SVR: £36.95

total = £76.55

A lot more expensive than the through SVR but valid at any time and much cheaper than the through SOR.

Another, slower option would be:

Selly Oak - Derby SOR: £19.45
Derby - Thirsk SVR: £31.50
Thirsk - Durham SVR: £13.05

total = £64, but you must get on a train that calls at Thirsk. The place I suggest to do this on the way out is York, or possibly Leeds if the train goes that way (some go via Doncaster, some via Leeds). After passing through Thirsk you will likely have to change at Northallerton as well as very few trains that go to Durham stop at Thirsk. Once again this is valid at any time.

For coming back on the Sunday you're basically unhindered by time restrictions:

Selly Oak - Derby SVR: 9.75
Derby - York SVR: £24.90
York - Durham SSR: £22.29

Total = £56.85 Not really a good saving someone may be able to improve on this.

With the exception of the one calling at Thirsk, I've used tickets that should work on the fastest trains. You can substitute Birmingham Stations for Selly Oak if you like, the price of the SOR is the same.

SOR = Anytime Return
SVR = Off Peak Return
SSR = Super Off Peak Return

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Are you wanting to leave before 11am on Monday 14th or arrive by 11am?

If the former, you can currently get an Advance each way for £20.15, going north on the 1930, arriving 2232, and coming back on Monday on the 1047, arriving 1327 or on the 0955, arriving 1310.

If the latter, a Birmingham Stations - Alnmouth Off-Peak Return costs £63.45 with your railcard and allows you to start/stop short at Durham. This ticket has virtually no time restriction, allowing travel after 0500 on Monday morning.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Thank you very much for the effort you have all put into this problem! It is very much appreciated. I had slightly feared it would be too late to get anything good, but I had been meaning to visit some friends in Birmingham and Durham and I managed to get some dirt cheap flights for that weekend and it is too good an opportunity to miss.

If I do leave Monday morning, it would have to be to arrive in Birmingham before 11am, which I think rather puts me in the morning peak, and so travelling Sunday evening is probably likely to be more cost effective.

Once again, thank you for the work, and if anything else comes up do let me know!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Good to know you have got a good deal. Do you still need a single ticket coming back from Durham or are you all sorted?

atillathehunn

Established Member
If there is a cheap ticket for the return, help in finding it would be very much welcome!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
An Anytime Single for Durham - Birmingham Stations is £56.10, £1.90 less than an Off-Peak Return. For single journeys, I would think that an Advance fare would normally be your best bet. Unfortunately Monday morning is one of those time slots where the availability of Advance fares is low and they tend to be priced very high, if any.

I can't find anything so far for travelling on direct trains between Durham and Birmingham that saves you any money subject to the time constraints laid down.

There is a small saving to be made by going via Peterborough and using a much longer route. You can currently get a £26.45 Advance for the 0642 from Durham, arriving Peterborough 0841, then a £9.55 Advance for the 0952 from Peterborough, arriving Birmingham 1138. This is the closest I can get to arriving by 1100 Monday morning that offers a decent saving. The total cost is £36, and all bookable on http://www.eastcoast.co.uk

Alternatively a number of direct trains are available with £20.15 Advance fares for Sunday evening departures.

SS4

Established Member
Thanks to the wonders of split ticketing where advances are still available and making use of day singles. The 0737 (arrive at 1027) calls at all these stops at given times so you don't have to change

DHM-YRK
0737 - 8:21
£18.80
Anytime single

YRK-SHF
0824-0917
£6.60 Advance

SHF-DBY
9:23 - 9:52
£9.50 off-peak day single (this is an undiscounted ticket as it's cheaper than min fare)

DBY - BHM
0953 - 1027
£4.95 Advance

Total: £39.85 (+£1.20 if you're going back to Selly Oak)

Three Letter Codes for Stations above:
  • DHM = Durham
  • YRK = York
  • SHF = Sheffield
  • DBY = Derby
  • BHM = Birmingham New Street

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
Apologies for the delay in replying to all your hard work in finding me these tickets, it is very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.