• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest ticket between two UK stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I am disappointed that ATW in South Wales seems to have a minimum fare of £1.40 single!

What I find particularly annoying is that Grangetown to Cardiff Central is £1.40 for a single, a journey time of six minutes, which still for a journey of 88 chains I find expensive. Now Ninian Park (which is right behind Canton depot) to Cardiff Central on the City Line, at exactly the same number of chains as from Grangetown, at a journey time of four minutes, is £2.20 for a single!!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

As long as you have a valid rail ticket to Tewkesbury, you can buy it from ticket offices/guards.

The fares are :

Day Single 50p
Day Return 90p
Month Return 90p

Valid to Northway/Town Centre/Wheatpieces/Gupshill Manor

You can buy.through fares from Cheltenham,Gloucester.

Yes but most people from Cheltenham are going to get the bus - every 20 minutes from the Town centre, not every 2 hours from the outskirts of town

Gathursty

Established Member
This prompts the question rarely asked: What will the response be if I ask for a single/return between Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western? :P

sonic2009

Established Member
Yes but most people from Cheltenham are going to get the bus - every 20 minutes from the Town centre, not every 2 hours from the outskirts of town

Yes but it's every 15mins and at least £6.00 for a day ticket if you include the price from Cheltenham Train Station.

mappman1000

This prompts the question rarely asked: What will the response be if I ask for a single/return between Wigan Wallgate and Wigan North Western? :P

National Rail enquiries managed to supply me with this!

'We are sorry, we are not able to find any fares that match your journey details. There are some possible reasons below. Please try again.
You specified a 'via' station, but also asked for the cheapest fares. The cheapest tickets may not be available on the route you requested. Try again, without the via station.

There are no trains running when you want to go. Try again, travelling at a different time'

Gathursty

Established Member
My example made me think of the version in Plymouth. Have you seen the prices NRE give for getting the train between the two St Budeaux's?

12CSVT

Established Member
Monument to Bank costs £4 even though they are linked by escalator.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

If you ask a member of staff, you would get a funny look, but after you have finally managed to convince them you're not taking the michael, I suspect it would be dependant on what time you are travelling. For a single it might be as simple as a return to Ince (Manchester), or a return to Newton-le-Willows, or a return to Whiston. Obviously a return would be two of them or a combination of them.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Bank/Monument station is run by London Underground, not TfL.

If you only wanted to use the station escalators/passageways you could buy a £1 platform ticket to pass through the station.

gazthomas

Established Member
One done for per-Christmas shopping

Rather than pay for parking and avoid traffic in Welwyn Garden City I parked for free and took a 365 from Welwyn North to WGC and back. £1 with Network Railcard (it was a Saturday). How many 150 second trips have such an impressive viaduct!

Not the cheapest but not bad for cash strapped southerners :lol:

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The Underground fares are absolutely disgusting. £4 for a single!? Robbery! So from Leicester Square to Covent Garden -at 0.3km (0.161 miles) being the shortest distance between two stations, it's £4!!!!!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The Underground fares are absolutely disgusting. £4 for a single!? Robbery! So from Leicester Square to Covent Garden -at 0.3km (0.161 miles) being the shortest distance between two stations, it's £4!!!!!

You will get problems like this in a flat-fare system. In contrast, Stratford - Ealing Broadway via Central Line is the same fare for over 15 miles. Not that bad.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
You will get problems like this in a flat-fare system. In contrast, Stratford - Ealing Broadway via Central Line is the same fare for over 15 miles. Not that bad.

Oh God is it a flat fare?? I thought it was cheaper the less you travelled? So can you from say Uxbridge to Morden for £4.

dzug2

Oh God is it a flat fare?? I thought it was cheaper the less you travelled? So can you from say Uxbridge to Morden for £4.

It was a flat fare system but a little differentiation has crept in with annual fare increases

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It was a flat fare system but a little differentiation has crept in with annual fare increases

Ew. I think it should be £1.50 to travel in Zone 1. Not particularly looking forward for six of us to pay £24 to go from Paddington to Kings Cross.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
surely worcester shrub hill - fgt street must be pretty cheap?

£1.10

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ew. I think it should be £1.50 to travel in Zone 1. Not particularly looking forward for six of us to pay £24 to go from Paddington to Kings Cross.

Have you considered Oyster. Zone 1 singles are £1.90 (rising to £2 next year). There's a £5 refundable deposit, but if you come to London from time to time it's probably worth just keeping the card for convenience.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Have you considered Oyster. Zone 1 singles are £1.90 (rising to £2 next year). There's a £5 refundable deposit, but if you come to London from time to time it's probably worth just keeping the card for convenience.

I have looked into buying an Oyster Card but I'm only in London about four or five times a year so was wondering if its worth it.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Well just get your £5 back every time you use it then...

I suppose I could just buy an Oyster Card when I'm in London on 15th January, put say £10 on it and just keep it on me until I go to London next time, that might work. I am so strongly against paying £4! I can go from bloody Cardiff-Manchester on a Family Railcard for that price!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
How about Acton Main Line-Finsbury Park SDS with a Young Persons discount? It will save you 5p (£3.95) and will cover you across London.

Bungle73

On Moderation
But no one would be silly enough to make that journey, would they? Anyway, they want everyone to use Oyster.

What happened to fares based on the number of zones you go through?
Any particular reason you're not getting Tube travel included in your train tickets?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

£4 enabled you to go from Zone 1 up to Zone 3. It is a graduated scale but with very few bands so effectively a flat-fare structure within a large area.

Status
Not open for further replies.