• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest ticketing optins Woking to Central London

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight2004

Hi all i need some fares advice for a friend.
She will be visiting from Woking and will be departing Saturday to return Sunday.
What will be the best ticket options?
She hasn't got an oyster but she can buy one as we will be going Camden, then Walthamstow then Stratford and back to Walthamstow in the evening/early morning (3 a.m.) and then she will need to return back to Woking Sunday.
Where would she be able to buy an oyster cad from and what is the cheapest way? You can only get singles from Woking to Waterloo at £10.80, each way i think, so that's over 20 quid before the weekends started

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cheapest or best? (the former can be difficult to calculate and can involve slow, convoluted routes. the latter is subjective)

The most straightforward would simply be a One Day Travelcard (ODT) from Woking.

FenMan

Established Member
Cheapest or best? (the former can be difficult to calculate and can involve slow, convoluted routes. the latter is subjective)

The most straightforward would simply be a One Day Travelcard (ODT) from Woking.

? The OP says their travels are over 2 days.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, you'd need 2 x Travelcards, one for each day, that is the most straightforward. But the cheapest might be:

1 Buy a Woking - Surbiton single
2 Purchase Oyster PAYG, load credit
3 Then use Oyster PAYG for all journeys, touching in and out for all journeys, including at Surbiton on your way back.
4 Buy a Surbiton - Woking single to complete your journey

But I cannot guarantee that is the cheapest, though it probably is. It would also extend journey time considerably.

parkender102

I use this route regularly and find it expensive – also why can’t you buy a return going out one day and returning another?
I stay in Central London and work in Woking so cycle to Clapham Junction in the morning and get a single to Woking (£8.10) complete with Bike. Then in the evening a few choices:

Cycle all the way back to Central London if it’s a nice night (24 miles) via paths along Basingstoke Canal, Wey Navigation, River Thames. 2 Hours or longer depending on how many times you stop at one of the picturesque pubs on the Thames.....................

Cycle to Hampton Court on the same route and take train to Clapham Junction (complete with bike - £2.40 with Oyster).

Cycle same route but carry on to Richmond and take District Line (bikes allowed on here after 09:30 till 16:00 and then after 7:00 in the evening - £1.50 with Oyster).

If I’ve something on I need to get back for I usually get Anytime Day Return Clapham Junction to Woking (£14.90)

Last edited:

sonic2009

Established Member
On the Sunday, will your friend be doing any travelling around London? Or just straight from Walthamstow to Woking?

Status
Not open for further replies.