• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest Tiverton Parkway - Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonm

Out Friday 16th March from about 4pm. Back on Saturday around 2pm from Reading. Need to be flexible on return time. Are there any decent splits other than Super Off Peak Return? No railcards......

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you are asking for the cheapest combination of tickets, where journey time does not matter, then my answer has to be that no-one has yet devised a program that can calculate that (and I would be very impressed if anyone does!) therefore all you can do is do individual searches and figure out the best compromise for you, between cost and convenience.

"Splitting" the journey into a combination of tickets may work. I find the easiest way to do this is (other than to use Avantix Traveller) is to use a WebTIS website (e.g. EC, LM etc) and click the info (i) button next to the itinerary you want, then tick 'show all calling points', this shows the places where you could "split" the journey into a combination of tickets (note the train must call on the return journey too). Examples here include Crewe, Stafford, Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury...

Note that if you want to return a different day (as in this case), it will not be cheaper to split at stations where only Day Return tickets are available. Therefore, it is generally only best to look at longer distance tickets, where (Super) Off Peak Return (SSR/SVR) fares can be combined, but that does severely restrict your choices, especially if you choose a station that not all trains call at (such as any of the stations on the Berks & Hants route or the Honiton route).

wintonian

Established Member
Try Basingstoke or Westbury then another ticket to Exeter St Davids and then add on a ticket from there to Tiviton Parkway.

Can't check myself as I am away from home for a few days so no promises on this one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.