• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way to do the night riveria

Status
Not open for further replies.

168lover

Hi all, in the summer may dad and I may be going to Penzance. Due to the fact that it is quite a way away we will probably travelling on the Night Riveria.

So I am wondering what would the cheapest method for 1 adult and 1 student(with a 16-25 railcard) would be from High Wycombe to Penzance going on the Night Riveria one way and HST the other?

Also how much cheaper would it be to go from Reading? Thanks for your help in advance.

PS-I have already tried to do research into it but I got confused by the massive amount of ticket options available

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So I am wondering what would the cheapest method for 1 adult and 1 student(with a 16-25 railcard) would be from High Wycombe to Penzance going on the Night Riveria one way and HST the other?
The cheapest would be to get Advance fares, and sit in the seats. Is that what you require?

It's not clear if this is a day trip and if any travel in Cornwall is required, as a Ride Cornwall Day Ranger may be of use.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Assuming you want to sleep in a berth, and want to go from London: Without checking cheaper alternatives to a straight Wycombe-London ticket on the way out, the cheapest would be Sleeper Twin Advance (£69) + Wycombe-London SDS (£13.20 + £8.70) + Penzance-Wycombe Advance (£27 + £17.80) = £135.70. If the cheapest tiers of Advances are available, and on trains useful to you - which is possibly unlikely in summer.

More expensive but flexible would be 2 * High Wycombe-Penzance Super Off Peak Returns (£116.60/£76.95) plus berth supplements for the outward journey (£35 each sharing a berth, no Railcard discount). Total £263.55 - if you invest in a Two Together Railcard this would be reduced to £223.90 (+£30 for the Railcard). Depending on availability of Advance fares this may be nearly as cheap or cheaper.

I'd not really advise going from Reading as the sleeper departs at 0040 which isn't that convenient unless you fancy a long session in the pub beforehand, and there's not much of a saving to be made. Advance tickets are the same price as from London so you'd not even save the bus fare to Reading; the flexible Super Off Peak Return is slightly better at £95.90/£63.30 (berth supplements the same).

Sleeper tickets can only be booked at GWR stations or via their website or telesales IIRC.

168lover

Assuming you want to sleep in a berth, and want to go from London: Without checking cheaper alternatives to a straight Wycombe-London ticket on the way out, the cheapest would be Sleeper Twin Advance (£69) + Wycombe-London SDS (£13.20 + £8.70) + Penzance-Wycombe Advance (£27 + £17.80) = £135.70. If the cheapest tiers of Advances are available, and on trains useful to you - which is possibly unlikely in summer.

More expensive but flexible would be 2 * High Wycombe-Penzance Super Off Peak Returns (£116.60/£76.95) plus berth supplements for the outward journey (£35 each sharing a berth, no Railcard discount). Total £263.55 - if you invest in a Two Together Railcard this would be reduced to £223.90 (+£30 for the Railcard). Depending on availability of Advance fares this may be nearly as cheap or cheaper.

I'd not really advise going from Reading as the sleeper departs at 0040 which isn't that convenient unless you fancy a long session in the pub beforehand, and there's not much of a saving to be made. Advance tickets are the same price as from London so you'd not even save the bus fare to Reading; the flexible Super Off Peak Return is slightly better at £95.90/£63.30 (berth supplements the same).

Sleeper tickets can only be booked at GWR stations or via their website or telesales IIRC.

Thank you for your response. I sadly can't have a long drinking session in the pub as I am only 16:D But anyway me thinks that we will go via London and anyway going via London means that we can try out the first class lounge at Paddington and most importantly, get more body snatcher thrash :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
If we were to go first class back to paddington would it be cheaper to do weekend first or buy a first class advance?

Sleepy

Established Member
Weekend First normally works out cheaper, but can only be purchased on board so some risk if fully reserved but should be safe from Penzance.

Status
Not open for further replies.