• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way to get to BTN from CYP w/Gold + Z1-3 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzejmsk

So I made a post about not tapping out at Gatwick (GTW) which was unfortunately a no-go, but say managed to tap out at GTW (perhaps there is some sort of oyster pad on the platform or something so you can nip out and tap out without going to the gates and having to wait for another train?), does it save any money vs just getting a normal ticket?

If I get a ticket from East Croydon (ECR) it's easier as you have to change anyway, but will that get the most out of the railcard? IE is:

(excess between Z3 and GTW) + (single GTW->Brighton (BTN))

cheaper or more expensive than

(Excess between Z3 and ECR) + (single ECR->BTN)?

Or, perhaps some sort of boundary Z3 ticket bought at Crystal Palace (CYP)?

If anyone could link me to some sort of price calculator that allows someone to calculate excess fares with travelcards, it would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paddington

If you have a Z1-2 travelcard and travel further on Oyster, you just pay the regular fare from Z3 to your destination.

AFAIK at Gatwick you have to go to the gateline if you want to touch out. If you do not touch out then once you pass Gatwick you will not have had a valid ticket up to Gatwick, which is a matter for your conscience regardless of whether you get caught or get away with it.

You can use ltfares.com and brfares.com to check fares. These sites are run by an enthusiast.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If I get a ticket from ECR it's easier as you have to change anyway, but will that get the most out of the railcard? IE is:

(excess between Z3 and GTW) + (single GTW->BTN)

cheaper or more expensive than

(Excess between Z3 and ECR) + (single ECR->BTN)?

Or, perhaps some sort of boundary Z3 ticket bought at CYP?
Please do not use codes without first specifying which stations they refer to (forum rules). I am certain that I am not alone in wondering which station CYP might be.

If you have a Z1-2 travelcard and travel further on Oyster, you just pay the regular fare from Z3 to your destination.
If a Zones 1-2 Travelcard is held the ticket for onward travel will be from Boundary Zone 2.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation

AFAIK at Gatwick you have to go to the gateline if you want to touch out. If you do not touch out then once you pass Gatwick you will not have had a valid ticket up to Gatwick, which is a matter for your conscience regardless of whether you get caught or get away with it.

You can use ltfares.com and brfares.com to check fares. These sites are run by an enthusiast.
I think the OP has a Zone 1-3 Travelcard, so any extensions will be from Boundary Zone 3, not Boundary Zone 2

dzejmsk

It wont let me edit my post to add the station names, how strange. It say it's spam or something

paddington

If a Zones 1-2 Travelcard is held the ticket for onward travel will be from Boundary Zone 2.

What I mean is if you touched in at a Z1 station with a Z1-2 travelcard, then travelled beyond you would be charged an Oyster fare from Z3 to your destination. Am I mistaken?

If you want to buy a paper ticket to continue your journey without touching out, then yes you would need a BZ2-destination ticket.

The OP wants to pay by Oyster as far as possible then transfer to a paper ticket.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I think what the OP maybe trying to ascertain, if travelling to Brighton, with a season Travelcard loaded onto an Oystercard, and holding a separate ticket from Gatwick to Brighton, is it feasible to travel through without tapping out.
It wouldn't work in the opposite direction, as once the train had left Gatwick, they wouldn't have a valid ticket as the Oystercard wouldn't have been tapped in.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It wont let me edit my post to add the station names, how strange. It say it's spam or something
I'm not sure why that happened, but I've added the station names now.

There are no platform validators at either East Croydon or Gatwick Airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.