• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cheapest way to travel from Kingham to London Paddington (Peak)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrycommuter

Hi,

I am new to the forum and wondered if someone could advise? I am a charity worker currently living in Kingham, Oxon and soon I will need to start travelling to Picadilly Circus 2 or 3 days per week for work. I will be travelling peak times (aim to get to London Paddington by 9/9.30) and leaving around 5.30pm.

The problem is that the fairs seem really expensive - I have tried splitting the journey and have only managed to bring the fare down to about £40 per day, which is still a lot on the wage I get.

I wondered if anyone has any tips for finding the best fares and advice about whether a rail card of some kind would be viable? The fares are a strain to pay on a charity wage...

Thank you very much for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
See http://www.railcard.co.uk/ but the Network Railcard is no use for journeys on weekdays before 10am.

You may be able to get advance purchase tickets on this route at peak time if you book far enough in advance?

As for splitting, Didcot is usually a good place.

Off Peak and Off Peak Day are valid by any train out of London, the only restriction is going into London in the morning.

If the only railcard you can get is a Network Railcard, then a SDS Kingham-London is £27.50 and a CDS back is £15.80 total = £43.30 which saves £11.70 compared to the SOR without discount. It may be cheaper if you split the outward journey (not the return though due to £13 minimum fare).

charley_17/7

If price is more important than time, you could use the train to Oxford, walk to Gloucester Green, then take an Oxford Tube/Espress, would cost about £26.90 (KGM-OXF SDR 10.90 + bus fare of £16 day return).

Oxford Tube do a 0700 limited-stop express, which could fit the 0653 arrival at Oxford (0624 ex-Kingham), depending how quick you walk/run, probably arrive in London about 0830-ish?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As charley says, bus is an option - I use it as well as the train (depending mostly on my mood and whether the No. 2 bus decides to terminate at Victoria!). Off peak journey is about 1h40, which is not so bad since you get more central than Paddington - for Piccadilly Circus, Victoria would be closest although you could tube it from Baker st. which may be quicker.

I would really reccommend the Espress rather than Tube; the Tube is notoriously unreliable - many of my friends have sworn never to use it again after being dumped by the side of the motorway one too many times! Also, it's a bit slower as it stops additionally at Lewknor Turn and takes a slower route into London via Shepherd's Bush. (Plus you're not lining Brian Souter's pockets).

The bus would only cost a £12 a day if you use a multi-trip ticket (£70 for 12 trips). NB: I've never taken the bus with the peak, but it does often seem pretty packed coming into london as I leave around 10ish.

There don't seem to be any advance fares available for this journey, but I would imagine there are from Oxford. In which case you could buy these (if you know which days you'll be in London) and a return Kingham-Oxford for the same train.

@yorkie: I would think Oxford would be a better bet for splitting, as OXF-PAD fares are the same as DID-PAD? (maybe this is just for off-peak?)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If the OP is eligible for a Senior Railcard the cheapest ticket would be an Off Peak to Ipswich at £34.30.

Senior Railcards are not valid for journeys wholly in the Network area in the morning peak, but Ipswich is outside the Network area. Additionally, tickets from inside the Network area to outside the Network area via London are "valid by any train to London" so you can use any train from Kingham to Paddington. A free cross-London transfer is also included.

Status
Not open for further replies.